Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance for a photo update today? Hopefully things have progressed.

I can snag one on the way home, unless someone working Uptown can grab one during the day.  It is progressing at BREAKNECK speed though.  Really starting to look like a  ball field.

They've rescheduled the park's grand opening celebration for Labor Day weekend.

That's smart. Good time for it to open. Nobody could have anticipated the amount of Rain charlotte has had so far this spring and summer.

Any chance for a photo update today? Hopefully things have progressed.

Sorry I missed this Friday.  Here's one from this morning.  I went up to 23 so it's a little steeper than my normal ones from 19, but at least there's no green tint on the window.  Sorry for the wall glare on the right side.

romare20130701_zps55fbb670.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry I missed this Friday.  Here's one from this morning.  I went up to 23 so it's a little steeper than my normal ones from 19, but at least there's no green tint on the window.  Sorry for the wall glare on the right side.

romare20130701_zps55fbb670.jpg

any pictures of the baseball stadium. I'll be in Charlotte on Wednesday and Thursday! Can't wait to see the transformation.

We were at Hooligans last night for the Confederations Cup final.  The park and the ball field now have a significant impact on the feeling down that alley, you can see the ball park stands from there no problem and it's nice to look out and see trees and not a F-150.

A few ground-level shots.  I felt a little disappointed with how far away it still seems.  And dead trees are sad -- 5 or 6 of them at least.

That's why you go with younger trees, they are more likely to survive the transplant, and they are cheaper to replace if they don't survive.

I can't say I'm surprised of some dead trees with all the stop/go construction and endless rain. Poor things didn't have much of a chance.   I'm sure they'll be replaced.

BTW I love the ground level shots - gives an idea of how dramatic a change that area is having from the pedestrian point of view!

Edited by Urbanity

Can't wait until Panthers games start back up. So many regulars are going to blown away with how much the city is changing just a couple blocks from the stadium. 3/4ths of the corner of Mint and MLK is under construction!

I think it's naive to think this park will be finished by the time Panthers games start back. No one seems in a hurry to get this finished. And, before someone chimes in about rain, consider the stadium and the apt. building going up across the street.

I think it's naive to think this park will be finished by the time Panthers games start back. No one seems in a hurry to get this finished. And, before someone chimes in about rain, consider the stadium and the apt. building going up across the street.

Its a little different. Everything that is happening in the Baseball stadium and Apartment Tower is purely Structural. 95% of what is left with Romare Bearden is Landscaping, Plantings, spreading topsoil, laying sod and/or grass seeds. Generally you want to do these kind of things on ground between dry and slightly moist. You don't want 6 inches of Mud, settling earth, and other possible water related issues.

I'd be willing to bet both of those are behind schedule as well. 

I'll think about all those reasons as I continue to re-landscape my yard today (and have been working for about 1.5 weeks).

Unless your a Biltmore, I can't imagine your home landscaping project is nearly on the scale of a center city park on a couple acres of land.  I may be wrong...but I doubt it.

Unless your a Biltmore, I can't imagine your home landscaping project is nearly on the scale of a center city park on a couple acres of land.  I may be wrong...but I doubt it.

Mine seems like it's on that scale (34+ acres).  It sure doesn't help that the rain keeps washing out my driveway (over 1/4 mile long). 

Although DEND has this park beat with the size of his yard, I do not. I also don't have a work crew helping me. I'll bet I have more sq ft to take care of myself than each worker at this park site does. Then again, maybe THAT's the problem. It's not the weather though. Put it this way, if this thing had been finished on schedule, they would have been ahead of most of the rain we've gotten lately. Anyway, that's all I can offer on this topic. I know what I think and that's not going to change.