Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

I can't imagine it's behind.  The progress has been consistent and they only broke ground on it a year ago.

Just hard to see the progress then I suppose.

The football stadium at UNC Charlotte is really the only construction project I've ever followed closely and in a years time they built 90% of a football stadium and practice facilities on a site larger than this park...and they had to blast through rock to do it. Just seems like a park wouldn't take this long.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/28/3749655/future-park-taking-shape-in-uptowns.html

Here is most recent article that outlines deadlines and such. Unfortunately I cannot read the entire thing. 

hit the 'stop' button for your browser after the article lodes, but before the 'pay wall' pop up displays :)

Edited by navigator319

hit the 'stop' button for your browser after the article lodes, but before the 'pay wall' pop up displays :)

Take that Charlotte Observer!!!

Construction crews are working to finish the 5.4-acre park in time for a June opening.

That deadline definitely seems attainable!

It appears that Bearden Park construction is a bit behind schedule at least compared to an early schedule.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/BOCC/Meetings/Archives/AgendasArchive/2011Agendas/Documents/0419/April192011-08a2-.pdf

It seems they planned a close out of park construction 14mo after breaking ground, which happened 9/2/11.  It seems we are now at almost 17 months after ground breaking, despite a warm, construction-friendly winter in 2012.  In all, it doesn't seem like a major tragedy, but certainly is going slower than originally scheduled.  Hopefully this spring we will see the plantings and the June completion will be set, as it seems we are not that far off on completion of many of the physical structures. 

The grand opening is slated for June, when they're putting together a "Romare Fest." http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/28/3749655/future-park-taking-shape-in-uptowns.html

Having said that, I suspect things will still be going in beyond the public opening. Their selected artist won't be installing until next fall.

Alternatively, if you are using the Chrome browser, you can simply click the menu button and click "New incognito window" and it won't block you.

I don't see the subscription plan working out well for the Observer. There will be a lot of people that simply go to the observer site less now and others that find workarounds to avoid paying.

^^^ I know it's stupid, not even the New York Times or LA Times make you have a subscription plan... 

Actually NY Times has a very expensive Digital Subscription Plan much like Charlotte Observer. 

It will be interesting to see how this open space will transform this whole part of uptown. I'm always in favor of big buildings to make our skyline more and more impressive, but cities are usually defined by more than their skylines. NYC is great, but an argument can be made that the most unique aspect of the whole city is Central Park. While this park won't be as dramatic as C.P., for our sized city, it will be positively transformative.

Thanks for the pix, Hamlet!

Edited by Munson79

This park will have a much larger impact.  Marshall park is very marooned on the other side of uptown, surrounded by a dead zone of government buildings.  This will be directly adjacent to where people live, I think those that live in Catalyst and the new Childress Kline project will use it often.  What's the city's stance on my setting up a beer garden in that sucker during the spring and fall?

All I know is, if I'm grodney, I can watch ball games for free when I'm working late night in another year.  Lucky dog.

Edited by ah59396

It appears that Bearden Park construction is a bit behind schedule at least compared to an early schedule.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/BOCC/Meetings/Archives/AgendasArchive/2011Agendas/Documents/0419/April192011-08a2-.pdf

It seems they planned a close out of park construction 14mo after breaking ground, which happened 9/2/11.  It seems we are now at almost 17 months after ground breaking, despite a warm, construction-friendly winter in 2012.  In all, it doesn't seem like a major tragedy, but certainly is going slower than originally scheduled.  Hopefully this spring we will see the plantings and the June completion will be set, as it seems we are not that far off on completion of many of the physical structures. 

I'm glad you brought that up. I had no idea exactly how long construction had been going on, but it was beginning to seem a little slow to me. Glad the finish line is getting near.

• 2 weeks later...