Charlotte Skyline Shots

monsoon

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking, and especially with all the recent announcements, that we are going to have an ugly skyline for the next couple years. It is already tough to get a good shot of the skyline with just the Avenue tower crane in the way. Whats it going to look like when some of these even taller projects are going up? 210 Trade, Aloft, 6 cranes at the Wachovia site, Vue, Bofa and Ritz, 300 S. Tryon, possibly a couple at the Trump site, 4 Novare projects around the 3rd ward park. Not to mention the possiblities around Rennaisance, spirit square, Berkman, etc...... A large city like NY could get away with this, but in a small dense cluster of buildings that is Charlotte? Its going to look like we are rebuilding the entire city, cranes everywhere. Its been on my mind because many out of towners love our dense skyline, not so much in a couple years.

And since this is a photo thread and people are asking for future renderings.....

Here's what Charlotte will look like :P

76186303.jpg

75311208.jpg

large.jpg

I've been thinking, and especially with all the recent announcements, that we are going to have an ugly skyline for the next couple years. It is already tough to get a good shot of the skyline with just the Avenue tower crane in the way. Whats it going to look like when some of these even taller projects are going up? 210 Trade, Aloft, 6 cranes at the Wachovia site, Vue, Bofa and Ritz, 300 S. Tryon, possibly a couple at the Trump site, 4 Novare projects around the 3rd ward park. Not to mention the possiblities around Rennaisance, spirit square, Berkman, etc...... A large city like NY could get away with this, but in a small dense cluster of buildings that is Charlotte? Its going to look like we are rebuilding the entire city, cranes everywhere. Its been on my mind because many out of towners love our dense skyline, not so much in a couple years.

For those that like the "crane skylines" of Miami or Dubai, CLT will look awesome. Personally I'd be happier moving away for a few years as I don't have patience to be local and waiting each painstaking day after painstaking day for the final product. :)

Good point. I was born just before the big dig started in Boston, and moved away just a few years before it was completed. In 20 years of construction for the Big Dig, I never knew what it was like to see South Boston without 20-25 cranes. My mother used to call it "crane city." My parents moved out of Boston because of the traffic and congestion and to this day HATE to go into the city...all the roads are different now. I hope this construction doesn't scare away our residents of the greater area... construction and cranes are cool; but not for 20 years straight.

Uptown littered with cranes in every direction is a bad thing?????

In the next few years motorists on 77 will not only get the usual stunning view of Uptown, they will also be viewing lots of cranes all at once. A sure sign of success by anyone's measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, one of my friends lives in Harrisburg and every time I'm driving back down 49 towards UCity, there is that great view of uptown for about five miles. It does make your realize you're in the suburbs though as BoA is shorter than half an extended pinky finger at full arm's length.

Archived