Charlotte Skyline Shots

monsoon

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Air National Guard unit that is based here did a flyover of downtown yesterday. They were taking aerial skyline shots with one of their C-130's in the picture. Should look pretty cool. They say they give them to VIP's but I hope they'll allow public access also.

Question? Everybody talks about how urban renewal destroyed some many historical buildings in Charlotte. My guess is the 1960's or 70's. However, I've never seen a skyline shot or picture that shows masses of historic buildings intact in any of the wards. I've seen pictures of the old Brooklyn neighborhood that truthfully, looked like shacks.

Having seen that 70's skyline shot with a sea of parking lots and somebody referring to one area as Earle Village, it made me wonder if anything ever existing on many of the parking lots?

Surely, a 1950ish or 60sih photo skyline shot has to exist in some archive. Just curious as to whether it's fact or urban legend (no pun intended) as to what I-277 and urban renewal destroyed in Charlotte.

Durhamite - part of the issue is with your dates, pics from earlier periods really show the difference, there are a few sets in threads here (don't know precisely where without some gruntwork) from the 30's and earlier as well.

Edit - Well, can't find the one I was really looking for that is a great (and old) angled aerial of DT, I believe metro had posted it.

Actually, for the first time, I did remove a light pole that was right above the Carillon. Its hard from this site to not get any of the 277 light poles in the pic. I never really do this and dont like using any type of editing software to "fix" pics.

I did however, use a polarizer on the lens to help the clouds pop. :)

Archived