3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I mentioned this a few months ago. From what I hear, Hotel is scrapped. Knights wanted to lease to a hotel, and thats not something that hotels do, they own their buildings outright, generally. Also, there will never be sufficient parking for a hotel, which sadly is not something you can get away with. The Knights have seen enough success that they plan on using the berm to increase seating capacity and add in another building for Retail, Concessions, and team offices.

Upper deck possible for additional seating? They could probably increase the capacity of the stadium 50% if they really wanted to with all that space.

Between Woodfield, Ascent, Element, Catalyst, Trademark, Mint and CK's Museum tower.... There needs to be at least one major shopping destination.

Like maybe Harris Teeter upgrading into a larger store being in the epicenter of all those new future residences.

I Think we've been posting about Chupitos here, if not feel free to move. SeArch is a pain to use only my phone. Anyways. Got word from Optimum properties that they are looking for new partners to move this project forward and are now targeting a Sept opening. My guess is their original backer pulled funding and they need someone new. If I had to guess I would say September will come and go and this will still not be open. It's a shame they took a property and made it look worse and then abandon it haha.

Funny, they could have easily painted the building Mint green and it would have probably looked good (if they picked a good version of mint green).   They're going to name a building The Mint instead of The Graham even though they're on Graham and not Mint, but they still paint it the color of a graham cracker.  Actually, graham crackers are a better color of brown than this.  

Why am I craving teddy grahams right now?

What is causing these developers to be scared of putting color on their buildings?   Why is everything beige?  I don't understand.  Color can be so fun and help in branding and differentiating these projects from each other.  

• Like 2

What is causing these developers to be scared of putting color on their buildings?   Why is everything beige?  I don't understand.  Color can be so fun and help in branding and differentiating these projects from each other.  

I don't really understand that either? It's not like paint is that expensive and its a great way to stand out rather than just being another complex.

• Like 1

Yeah but there are still plenty of tame non-controversial colors.  Blues and greens are near universally likable.  Even suburban tract homes have some mild noncontroversial colors.

How the hell are urban apartments targeted to young millennials all dirt colored?  Scratch that, even dirt in the carolinas is more colorful than these projects.

How the hell are urban apartments targeted to young millennials all dirt colored?  Scratch that, even dirt in the carolinas is more colorful than these projects.

Because they are large projects. What color would you choose if you had to please 400-1,000 random people with it? It's the same reason there is so much blue glass (sort of). Blue glass appears cleaner, and gives an illusion of reflected sky. Beige gives a cleanish appearance that gives an illusion of stone. Don't worry though some developer will eventually hit upon having a unique building by painting his grey.

So in walking past Packard Place (old Picassos), I noticed this....

There was previous mention about NoDa here, but nothing further and I heard there was a beer garden type concept going in here. There are 2 dumpsters in the parking lot, tons of work inside and it looks like they are getting ready to work on the lot itself....how AMAZING would it be if the former Picasso's becomes a Beer Garden and that lot is a GIANT patio?!? 

Now I know the Packard Place beer garden has existed for a while, but it only seems to be for special events. What if they're making a full time, year round one? I think this would kill uptown, especially in this spot with that parking lot being a big patio.

image1_zpsv6abit3v.jpg

Edited by Jayvee

the banner is just referring to a flat plate tap system inside packard place, it's really just a sponsorship dealy. Hopefully they are involved with a bigger (and more public) effort

Ohhh that's right. Well something is definitely going on in the Picassos and I heard it's a beer garden type concept. That spot would be prime if they could get that elevated lot to be a patio.