3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

As a future resident of the Mint, I can say I am really happy.

Do you think it's closed cause of the construction, or just closed for good? It never seemed busy and I doubt any business like that can handle being closed for a few weeks. The food there was gross anyway, and it's just a shame it didn't close sooner and Spectrum could have done something with the property and/or incorporated it to the Mint.

I can't say that I've ever seen anyone in there other than on Panther game days.  I still think it's a cool spot and someone could potentially make out well there.

As a future resident of the Mint, I can say I am really happy.

Do you think it's closed cause of the construction, or just closed for good? It never seemed busy and I doubt any business like that can handle being closed for a few weeks. The food there was gross anyway, and it's just a shame it didn't close sooner and Spectrum could have done something with the property and/or incorporated it to the Mint.

I like that this building didn't get absorbed into the Mint. I think having small, niche structures on the corners of blocks with denser construction sort of wrapping around it provides some good visual interest. IMO when every new construction project spans corner to corner things start to get a little mundane and boring. This building, with BB&T park and the stadium nearby, is a perfect spot for a low key neighborhood bar and if the Mint gobbled it up that would be lost forever. I wouldn't be surprised to see this picked up and fixed up a little bit in no time.

• Like 4

I like that this building didn't get absorbed into the Mint. I think having small, niche structures on the corners of blocks with denser construction sort of wrapping around it provides some good visual interest. IMO when every new construction project spans corner to corner things start to get a little mundane and boring. This building, with BB&T park and the stadium nearby, is a perfect spot for a low key neighborhood bar and if the Mint gobbled it up that would be lost forever. I wouldn't be surprised to see this picked up and fixed up a little bit in no time.

Touche......having said that, I definitely agree. It will be nice to be something else as it is a great spot with a great location. I would definitely love to see it turned into a sports bar (fitting given its location) and with BB&T, woodfield and Mint, there are plenty of residents to support it. Add to that the supposed bar going in in the Mint itself, this is going to be such a nice area.....now only if we can do something about that Polk building  :whistling:

They could take over the street like they did with South Blvd.   Even McCrory would (should) be supportive of that because he pushed for it with South Blvd (this was the 'corridor of crap' era).  

Graham is exceedingly unsafe and hard to use as a pedestrian and a vehicle.    I don't even know the solution outside of spending serious money to widen the right of way in 4th Ward.   There is a bit more space in the 3rd Ward section, such as removal of the turn lanes here to widen the sidewalk (seriously, we have a turn lane to turn LEFT on the dead end section of a tiny street, MLK, but none at 6th St a major workhorse one-direction thoroughfare?).  

Looking at the rendering at The Mint reminded me of the seriously shortsighted planning and design of such a well-used urban street.

We have bus routes on a street where buses do not fit in the lane.   We have a sidewalk design that crimps to maybe 4' around tree wells.  We have upgraded materials (yay), but their lack of maintenance leads to bricks that you can easily trip into traffic on and granit curbs that are now only 1-2" above the traffic lanes.  We have no street refuse bins, leading to a massive litter problem that makes the area seem blighted.  We have poorly lit conditions but people crossing at random a LOT because there are not enough crossings (namely at the curve by the stadium and between 7th and 9th).   

When I walk Graham, I literally walk at the edge of the sidewalk and constantly watch the cars to make sure none are near the nonexistent curb.  When I drive Graham, I do my best to pretend to change lanes so I can straddle both so I can stay far from the curb area and from the oncoming traffic in the other direction that is equally strained for space.

Some food for thought about Graham Street: The NCDOT controls Graham Street because it is a numbered US Highway route (US-29) and a NC highway route (NC-49). While the State is generally ok with giving up control of other streets, NC and US numbered routes are not even up for discussion. One thing to think about is that historically, US-29 and 49 ran along Tryon Street. The City presumably asked the state to relocate 29 and 49 to a parallel route (Graham St and Dalton St) so that Tryon Street wouldn't have to be treated as a "highway." Many cities did this over the years (though to be fair, I'm not sure if it was initiated by the state or the city).

So the question then becomes, can the City ask the state to relocate 29 again to another parallel route. There is already precedent for this, as US-21 is co-signed on I-77 through Charlotte as opposed to South Blvd, and Stateville Ave/Old Statesville Rd where it used to be routed. 

So if those where to happen, the City could take control over Graham Street. While I 100% agree that the pedestrian experience is terrible (especially north of 7th), the fact that the street is so narrow there actually works to slow traffic down. The ideal solution would be a road diet to 3 lanes and bike lanes, or at a minimum a traffic signal at 8th. A signal could theoretically work, but a road diet would be improbably, especially with NCDOT controlling the road.

Honestly it probably covers up unneeded storage, and parking spaces. I live in Brooklyn, and recently a parking deck by me got rid of about 15 parking spaces and opened a Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins and an American Greetings. I'd say work only took 9-12 months. I'd say they opened about 8500 sq feet up. Which is plenty for a beer garden/restaurant.

I've been saying this for years. If we can convert parking decks into retail the Charlotte has TONS of room for retail expansion. I'm probably more excited for this project than any other in uptown - including the skyscrapers.

• Like 2

I sure hope the city takes notice now that development is happening in this BB&T district and tries to take back Graham street and re-route 29/49.   

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2280288,-80.8505056,3a,75y,241.35h,76.96t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6youatLC_pn6jJbNeODKbA!2e0

This just is the quintessential NCDOT street, with completely unused turn lanes, but now a lot more pedestrian traffic that to a greenway connection and ball park and new apartments all funneled into a 24 inch wide sidewalk.

It would be so nice to have them reroute but I wonder why a numbered street does not allow NCDOT to be sensitive to the conditions on the ground.   They route numbered streets through quaint mountain downtowns in WNC, but they don't put in a 24" sidewalks.  At some point, surely even NCDOT people can understand that the street design does not match the reality of how the street is used.  

• 4 weeks later...

Boulevard just got Building Permit approval for their 5 story 89 unit Apartment project in Gateway Village at 225 N Cedar St across from the cemetery. These places will have great views of uptown.

Seems like 5 stories are excessive for only 89 units no? Excited about this project though, a lot of that area behind Post Gateway is sketchy, hopefully this helps.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another view of the Mint, in context with the ballpark, etc.

20150102_111927_zps52d9032f.jpg

Love it, hopefully something gets built behind Queens/Federal Courthouse, and something gets built on the Berm. 

Who's good at photoshop that can put this rendering of Gateway Station in the parking lot behind the Mint?

http://www.littleonline.com/uploads/project_media/ncdot-charlotte-gateway-station-and-master-plan/1-charlotte-gateway-station-view-from-ballpark.jpg

I know it's unlikely to happen but one can dream...

Who's good at photoshop that can put this rendering of Gateway Station in the parking lot behind the Mint?

http://www.littleonline.com/uploads/project_media/ncdot-charlotte-gateway-station-and-master-plan/1-charlotte-gateway-station-view-from-ballpark.jpg

I know it's unlikely to happen but one can dream...

sigh... if only. 

I'd photoshop but then I'd drop into a deep depression.

Edited by Guest

It's tough to describe just how much these developments are changing 3rd ward. It's like another world from where it was just 18 months ago.

Someone made a comment on here many many pages ago to the tune of "and on the 8th day, god said let there be 3rd ward"

Pretty accurate with the speed at which Third Ward has evolved from a sea of asphalt to an uptown neighborhood.