3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

That's a fantastic idea! Someone posted a link to a market in Cleveland made up of shipping containers. That would be perfect here. There are 36 spots in that lot and they lease for $175/mo. Add in some nightly and weekend and they probably get about $8k per month off of that. The lot is 48' x 186'. If you arranged shipping containers to be 40' x 175' you'd have 7,000 square feet and lease it at $20 per foot = $12k per month. How do we make this happen?!

Who owns that lot? And what are the dimensions and SF of a standard shipping container?

I'll do some investigating.

Edited by Jayvee

Other factor to consider when comparing potential income is retail tenants would pay expenses, like insurance and real estate taxes, which preferred parking has to foot the bill for now. 2014 R/E Tax bill for the lot was $10,856, so the $8k in monthly income is really $7k after expenses, making the variance about $5k per month or $60k per year if it were to have retail. 

Maybe we can start a campaign to get CCCP to ground lease the parcel and develop into a small market. I'm sure it could be sponsored like 7th Street market is, which would help offset the upfront costs. 

• Like 1

Other factor to consider when comparing potential income is retail tenants would pay expenses, like insurance and real estate taxes, which preferred parking has to foot the bill for now. 2014 R/E Tax bill for the lot was $10,856, so the $8k in monthly income is really $7k after expenses, making the variance about $5k per month or $60k per year if it were to have retail. 

Maybe we can start a campaign to get CCCP to ground lease the parcel and develop into a small market. I'm sure it could be sponsored like 7th Street market is, which would help offset the upfront costs. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.759718,-73.987754,3a,75y,174.29h,72.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_fV-jwbbyoRFQuBWE40sTA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656\

post-17104-0-99891800-1434635517_thumb.p

This would be a even better opportunity than shipping crates. Probably less expensive. This used to be at 46th and 8th in manhattan, of course the lot is now being developed, but these shops stayed her for about 2 years and were always PACKED. 

Edited by Guest

Who owns that lot? And what are the dimensions and SF of a standard shipping container?

I'll do some investigating.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Shipping-Containers-/92079/i.html

It seems that the standard is the 40 ft.(there's also a 20' variety) shipping container - dimensions here: http://www.agilitylogistics.com.au/Image/upload/SEA%20container/c_40_open_top_l.gif

According to the e-bay link, the price for used containers hovers just under $2k

Edited by NYCLT

I don't like the backs of the containers along the W 3rd Street, but I'm not much of a space designer.  No wait, I'm not a space designer AT ALL.  Also, at the Church St end of the container area, the height of the containers would extend up past the floor of the new patio, which is a bad thing for the patio.

packardcontainers_zpsadoetifl.jpg

parking-lot.jpg

Edited by grodney

I don't like the backs of the containers along the W 3rd Street, but I'm not much of a space designer.  No wait, I'm not a space designer AT ALL.

packardcontainers_zpsadoetifl.jpg

Nice work - yeah, I think you remove the containers along W. 3rd and replace with seating and make it look nice (although then you're removing 21% of potential revenue by not optimizing the space) - but hey, it's gotta have that curb appeal for the people in Romare Bearden

20 foot legth containers are very common and likely a bit cheaper, that might solve part of the orientation issue.

When I looked, it didn't seem like you were saving much on the 20 fter. I think ideally, if you can figure out the orientation with the 40ft, you'd save a ton of $$. Perhaps a mix of the two? Is anyone familiar with a standard for how much space you need in the corridor between containers to make it comfortable and not too crowded?

Having worked for both the Union Sq and Bryant Park markets, I like the idea for this lot.  But, I wonder whether it would be better to have that lot be a staging ground for food trucks or local vendors, and then in the holidays make it into a holiday market that can extend around the borders of the park to create more opportunities for local vendors to set up shop. Possibly could even shut down 3rd street at this block and see what happens.  

I wonder...who manages the park?  I know it's still in its infancy, but it would be interesting to see how a Business Improvement District (BID) could work here.  Bryant Park and Union Sq are two such institutions that are city parks, but are privately managed and operated.  CCCP is the closest thing I can think of to being a BID in Charlotte, but they are more of a booster organization than a management organization, unless they still run the 7th Street Market. 

HAHAHA, I might have been thinking about redoing it... LOL

I hereby grant you intellectual property ownership via creative commons blah blah blah.  Re-do away!

Those are the cleveland containers which are easy to google and were posted in some thread here.  And I got the street image from Google Streetview, which is surprisingly really recent.

I hereby grant you intellectual property ownership via creative commons blah blah blah. Re-do away!

Those are the cleveland containers which are easy to google and were posted in some thread here. And I got the street image from Google Streetview, which is surprisingly really recent.

I love this. I will tweet people incessantly. And have the agenda do it too.

There was an interesting Charlotte talks on this week which hit on this topic. I hate that stick built stuff is taking up some of our prime real estate and think there should at least be some design standards to make them have a little more "architecture". I think we can have both this cheaper housing and some decent looks.

The thing that'll really make a change though is infill driving up land costs so a 5 story doesn't pencil out.

Good point, why haven't we set standards for a minimum amount of retail? Start small and ramp it up.

Developers keep saying that the market for retail isn't there, and having the city regulate it won't work. But they never build space for retail on the ground floor, so when the market is there it won't be possible to add it.

Not too educated on what's "quality" vs what isn't... can you provide an example of what is something good in Uptown that you would want to see more of as opposed to what's going on now? In terms of mid/low rises

Good quality = Post Uptown Place at 6th & Graham. While I haven't been inside of it, the retail spaces on the ground floor and general design is excellent. If all uptown streets were lined with buildings like that we would be in good shape.

Maybe the city/Packard could purchase that "lower" lot and turn it into a small extension of bearden. Or maybe a small outdoor market space. Seems like a pocket park-ing lot will kill the flow of this area in the long run, it's too small for a substantial structure, nor would this new restaurant benefit from being cut off from the street if something were built there.

I like the market idea. I'm not wild about shipping containers (I don't understand why people want to use them so much), but having a farmers market or local vendors or food trucks of some sort in that spot would be fantastic.

I love what RDF and grodney have mocked up here for retail in 3rd ward ... Everyone that has a twitter account should be tweeting anyone and everyone that has an ear and say in this type of thing. With the right mix of retail, I think this could crush it and hopefully make developers think twice about not including retail in uptown apartment projects.  

I love what RDF and grodney have mocked up here for retail in 3rd ward ... Everyone that has a twitter account should be tweeting anyone and everyone that has an ear and say in this type of thing. With the right mix of retail, I think this could crush it and hopefully make developers think twice about not including retail in uptown apartment projects.

:) I'll tweet American Eagle and Great American Cookie

(Joking... Sort of)

• Like 3