3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

and what the heck, I was tweeting them incessantly for a week and they never tweeted me back LOL. Love that misspelling though,

Probably once the plans/filings hit the public system (where you and others saw them), they probably felt okay to respond (vaguely) to tweets.  I sure hope the details aren't reviled!

Edited by grodney

Probably once the plans/filings hit the public system (where you and others saw them), they probably felt okay to respond (vaguely) to tweets.  I sure hope the details aren't reviled!

This is what I'm talkin about :) This is going to be the best place in uptown. The "Patio at Packard" (credit to RDJ on that) is going to just be another reason why 3rd ward is killin it right now. I am willing to bet they enclose it and heat it during the winter too.

Got some more info:

• Entire lot to be a patio with glass and post hand railing all the way around
  • Addition also being built upon it (not sure what this means, but I asked for more info on it, maybe a stage or something?)
  • Entire lot is getting the patio but 2/3rds will be for the restaurant, 1/3 for Packard Place tenants
  • Lounge seating areas
  • Table and chairs for dining
  • Outdoor TVs and outdoor bar
  • Combo of concrete and grass to give a "park/rooftop garden" feel
Edited by Jayvee

Parts of the mint are finishing up. The beige isn't unbearable because the brick work is really nice. Still wish they did an accent color though just to stand out a little. The density it adds is awesome and I can't wait for something to fill out the restaurant spot and the existing restaurant building too.

post-29263-0-15194400-1431348359_thumb.j

• Like 1

Parts of the mint are finishing up. The beige isn't unbearable because the brick work is really nice. Still wish they did an accent color though just to stand out a little. The density it adds is awesome and I can't wait for something to fill out the restaurant spot and the existing restaurant building too.

Looks decently high quality at least. 

I bet it is entirely aesthetic.  here is another facade with mostly fake windows:  https://www.google.com/maps/@35.209258,-80.859047,3a,49.2y,12.19h,98.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFVo-rhF5_oH7Do_gp7ellw!2e0

12 fake 8 real.

Not purely aesthetic on this building either. The Emergency Staircase is on this side of the building, and they did not place windows into it. 

What I am saying is that the 12 "windows" on this side of the building- near and around the emergency staircase, and with "closed shutters" have no openings behind them.  From watching them construct it, it was apparent that these are simply shutters attached to a wall, with an EIFS trim glued to the wall around them, to make them look like windows.  They are likely limited by the percentage openings allowed in close proximity to the property line.  They have likely run into a similar situation at the 3rd ward building.. they wanted to have a window there for aesthetic reasons... but some program or code requirement prevented them from putting a real one there.

Edited by archiham04

What I am saying is that the 12 "windows" on this side of the building- near and around the emergency staircase, and with "closed shutters" have no openings behind them.  From watching them construct it, it was apparent that these are simply shutters attached to a wall, with an EIFS trim glued to the wall around them, to make them look like windows.  They are likely limited by the percentage openings allowed in close proximity to the property line.

Okay sorry, yes they are purely aesthetic. But there is a reason they are placed there. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to Charlotte Agenda, plans are finally moving forward for BB&T Ballpark's grassy knoll. 6 to 7 story building over 2 levels of underground parking. Building will include a year round restaurant, office space and a rooftop terrace. They'll also add about 400 seats and new concessions to the stadium. 

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/4670/breaking-bbt-ballparks-grassy-hill-in-left-field-is-getting-a-makeover/

According to Charlotte Agenda, plans are finally moving forward for BB&T Ballpark's grassy knoll. 6 to 7 story building over 2 levels of underground parking. Building will include a year round restaurant, office space and a rooftop terrace. They'll also add about 400 seats and new concessions to the stadium. 

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/4670/breaking-bbt-ballparks-grassy-hill-in-left-field-is-getting-a-makeover/

Glad to see more details flushed out on what I had heard in conversation with a friend. Charlotte Agenda's development section is off to a hell of a start. 

Agreed. THey also have some additional details about the beer garden at the old Picasso's. 400 person patio!!

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/4607/packard-places-terrible-parking-lot-could-transform-into-charlottes-most-popular-bar/

400 is the total occupancy of the venue I believe. The patio is still huge!!! Perhaps the Knights one is best fit in the Knights stadium thread though? ;)

Agreed. THey also have some additional details about the beer garden at the old Picasso's. 400 person patio!!

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/4607/packard-places-terrible-parking-lot-could-transform-into-charlottes-most-popular-bar/

I really hope this place has good food. There aren't a lot of good casual restaurants in uptown, so it could easily become an uptown favorite.

Picassos served very low quality bar food.  I think business owners are starting to get the message, especially in the craft/local brewery circles, to serve better food or no food at all and use food truck support. 

I am sure in this spot they will serve food as they can easily draw a solid business lunch crowd, but the weekend opportunity will be really great with such a large patio.

Picassos served very low quality bar food.  I think business owners are starting to get the message, especially in the craft/local brewery circles, to serve better food or no food at all and use food truck support. 

I am sure in this spot they will serve food as they can easily draw a solid business lunch crowd, but the weekend opportunity will be really great with such a large patio.

Yes! I loved the Denver scene with all the food trucks rotating between the brewers. Better food than many restaurants and it enables pets (or i think it did there, since no kitchen).