3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Now CDOT requires you to drive the section like a freeway because they mis-timed the MLK light to turn red when you get there after stopping at 4th.   So if you don't treat it like a drag race, you will be stopped for 2 minutes at an empty light.

Not saying I do that, but I do that. 

• Like 3

Now CDOT requires you to drive the section like a freeway because they mis-timed the MLK light to turn red when you get there after stopping at 4th. So if you don't treat it like a drag race, you will be stopped for 2 minutes at an empty light.

I do that every morning hahahha. How stupid are they? And how is this not a quick fix?

Now CDOT requires you to drive the section like a freeway because they mis-timed the MLK light to turn red when you get there after stopping at 4th.   So if you don't treat it like a drag race, you will be stopped for 2 minutes at an empty light.

You're ruining the urban planet.

Chupitos update:

Construction for Chupitos, Spanish for "shots," began early last year but was put on hold in mid-December, said Frank Llenas, a co-owner of Optimum Income Property and of the restaurant.

"We’re currently sorting some things out with the current partnership but the project will continue forward," Llenas said.

The restaurant will open "hopefully early summer," he said, and will employ between 20 to 25 workers.
Edited by birky

This will be the definition of a bro bar, but I am excited to see it will eventually get back on track. "Hopefully early summer" is not that reassuring but whatever. From the sounds of it, some sketchy stuff is goin on behind the scenes related to money. I hope when it opens the management of the place is much better than the management of the construction.

I got this response from them:

"We are sorting some difficulties out with our current partners in the building.

We will resume construction as soon as those issues are resolved. Stay tuned, please follow the social media account on instagram to stay informed"

Edited by Jayvee

This will be the definition of a bro bar, but I am excited to see it will eventually get back on track. "Hopefully early summer" is not that reassuring but whatever. From the sounds of it, some sketchy stuff is goin on behind the scenes related to money. I hope when it opens the management of the place is much better than the management of the construction.

I've been to a Chupitos style bar before. It actually wasn't a "Bro bar." It had great cocktails and tapas as well as decently well thought out "Shots." Hopefully this is the case.

I agree, and I would love to see it done properly.....but....i have my concerns/hesitations-for-hope

90% of their business will be April through September, and Sundays September through January (Hopefully– Playoffs). Other times they will have to rely on the apartment towers in the area. Should be interesting to see how long this lasts. If they can make this place unique and good, it has a chance, but it has to knock it out of the ballpark (pun intended, since this will be the bread and butter of their business).

^Residents in the 3rd ward/Gateway area have pretty limited options right now in the immediate vicinity.  Cedar St Tavern, Pub @ Gateway, Draught - they're all cut from the same cloth.  I think Chupitos could do surprisingly well, if they do it right.

Edited by birky

^Residents in the 3rd ward/Gateway area have pretty limited options right now in the immediate vicinity.  Cedar St Tavern, Pub @ Gateway, Draught - they're all cut from the same cloth.  I think Chupitos could do surprisingly well, if they do it right.

It'll be tough, I'd 100% agree, if MLK cut under the railroad tracks, but it doesn't. It'll be a very big walk out of the way for a majority of 3rd ward. 

Being a resident of Gateway, I'm gonna have to disagree that I would go to a place like this outside of the weekends, i definitely seems like its going to be more of a party, lets get drunk, kind of destination, which is totally fine. But yeah, I think the consensus is (and I agree) that they REALLY need to do everything right if they want to survive. In my book thats:

Creative shots (obviously the most important part)

Decent to Good food

Excellent service (the staff has to really push this is a fun spot)

Specials that cater to their (what will probably be) destination for sporting events

Decor

NO FREAKIN COVER

Good music and atmosphere

and lastly, that patio better be rockin

Being a resident of Gateway, I'm gonna have to disagree that I would go to a place like this outside of the weekends, i definitely seems like its going to be more of a party, lets get drunk, kind of destination, which is totally fine. But yeah, I think the consensus is (and I agree) that they REALLY need to do everything right if they want to survive. In my book thats:

Creative shots (obviously the most important part)

Decent to Good food

Excellent service (the staff has to really push this is a fun spot)

Specials that cater to their (what will probably be) destination for sporting events

Decor

NO FREAKIN COVER

Good music and atmosphere

and lastly, that patio better be rockin

This building was a photo studio before that I have been to a couple dozen photoshoots at. Lighting was an issue. I will be very interested to see how they get away from the dank industrial warehouse vibe that it used to have. The interior decor better be a 180 from the previous.

This building was a photo studio before that I have been to a couple dozen photoshoots at. Lighting was an issue. I will be very interested to see how they get away from the dank industrial warehouse vibe that it used to have. The interior decor better be a 180 from the previous.

I envision it being SUPER bright and loud colors, just seems to fit. 

Edited by Jayvee

Ok....i've put up with it long enough...and this is how it is. I was a long time resident, still own a house in seversville, but recently moved on to greener pastures in chicago. if only you posters could realize how conceded your posts are coming across to others that are attempting to get beneficial, fun information within this blog. You all seem to desire the inclusion of a superior club and balk at the idea of someone else having a bit of joy or lack compasion and empathy whatsoever. So what if a bar/restaurant is having growing or opening pains. you can post the factual information...but your snarky and curt comments have become a real bummer. And for you know-it-alls who seem to think The Mint is a godsend....it is a bunch of sticks being passed off as high end, ultra luxury. Yes Charlotte is a great city (which is subjective)...and nowhere near the best (which is subjective). So please....go ahead and demand the moderator to delete this post...but for the sake of hoping for a bit of inclusivity....take your blinders off.

• Like 1

Ok....i've put up with it long enough...and this is how it is. I was a long time resident, still own a house in seversville, but recently moved on to greener pastures in chicago. if only you posters could realize how conceded your posts are coming across to others that are attempting to get beneficial, fun information within this blog. You all seem to desire the inclusion of a superior club and balk at the idea of someone else having a bit of joy or lack compasion and empathy whatsoever. So what if a bar/restaurant is having growing or opening pains. you can post the factual information...but your snarky and curt comments have become a real bummer. And for you know-it-alls who seem to think The Mint is a godsend....it is a bunch of sticks being passed off as high end, ultra luxury. Yes Charlotte is a great city (which is subjective)...and nowhere near the best (which is subjective). So please....go ahead and demand the moderator to delete this post...but for the sake of hoping for a bit of inclusivity....take your blinders off.

Lol. 10/10, would read again.

Edited by ah59396

Shouldn't this be in "The Perception of Charlotte" thread? :D

Who thinks the Mint is a god send? I thought we didn't like it...

And why delete your comment? It's not offensive. I mean, does anyone really think that any city outside of 3 or so cities compare to Chicago? Some of us have been outside of Charlotte, believe it or not. Some fly to Europe & Asia monthly on business, some live in Manhattan, some in Seattle, Atlanta from Cleveland, from Denver.

And regarding Chuoito's, it's noones fault that they have the perception they do. Maybe they should have better marketing to satisfy us who live in Manhattan who wish they were in the big boy club..... All it takes is a faux rendering or some hyperbole of amenities & the Observer & CBJ will pick it up and people will be like "oh wow, they're trying to create something special"

The irony burns when a few tame comments about the likelihood of Chupitos opening are "snarky and curt" but the Mint can be called a "a bunch of sticks" a sentence later, lol.

FWIW I do like the Mint (above average for stick built, somewhat different aesthetically, addresses the street better than most), but nobody in this thread has ever been anywhere near excited enough about it to call it a godsend.

Maybe they read comments about the mint museum apartments...?

• 2 weeks later...