3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

The thing that'll really make a change though is infill driving up land costs so a 5 story doesn't pencil out.

And I think we will be getting to that point before we all realize it. The brief bidding war for the Stonewall parcel was just a taste of that. Sure, we'll see some more but then (I hope) 8 to 15 stories might become a little more common.

You're posing two polar opposites as if there is no room for in-between. Take some time to look at the development going on in other cities, even in the Southeast. The quality of construction our peers in Raleigh and Nasvhille and Austin are seeing far surpasses the building taking place in Charlotte. It's not an "all or nothing". We are asking for livable quarters that are aesthetically pleasing and also of high quality. It's not a crazy request, nor as simple as you are making it out to sound.

They're building plenty of crap in those cities, as well.

• Like 2

This Friday night, 3rd ward was the most hopping part of uptown. I'm guessing Charlotte symphony was playing at the park? Hundreds of people were there watching an orchestra. People walking all around. Weird compared to say 5 years ago.

Off topic sort of but Also, SouthEnd has been very active and hopping the past few nights that I've swung through. People walking everywhere, stores look nice lit up. IMO its much more hopping than NoDa & Plaza combined due to sheer size I guess.

Not too educated on what's "quality" vs what isn't... can you provide an example of what is something good in Uptown that you would want to see more of as opposed to what's going on now? In terms of mid/low rises

In regards to Uptown, I think Fountains in 2nd ward, The Mint and Woodfield on Graham in 3rd Ward or the Levine project over in 1st Ward, are all very underwhelming considering their location.

All of these projects are getting away with either faux or no retail, uninspiring design (we've already heard that the Levine project is undergoing 'value engineering') and are the Charlotte standard; brick for the first 2 floors, then hardiplank beige.

I can live with the odd cheap building, but these are all just the ones in uptown.  When you start looking out around the neighborhoods, it gets even worse.  Mercury NoDa is an abomination, Colonial Reserve in Southend is a monolithic ugly square, ect ect.

Look, all I'm saying is; if the Morningstar Storage Unit over on S Tryon can offer steel/concrete structuring with a full retail wrap....is it really that much to ask that we have the same for apartments being built on some of the most valuable and visible property in the entire city?

In regards to Uptown, I think Fountains in 2nd ward, The Mint and Woodfield on Graham in 3rd Ward or the Levine project over in 1st Ward, are all very underwhelming considering their location.

All of these projects are getting away with either faux or no retail, uninspiring design (we've already heard that the Levine project is undergoing 'value engineering') and are the Charlotte standard; brick for the first 2 floors, then hardiplank beige.

I can live with the odd cheap building, but these are all just the ones in uptown.  When you start looking out around the neighborhoods, it gets even worse.  Mercury NoDa is an abomination, Colonial Reserve in Southend is a monolithic ugly square, ect ect.

Look, all I'm saying is; if the Morningstar Storage Unit over on S Tryon can offer steel/concrete structuring with a full retail wrap....is it really that much to ask that we have the same for apartments being built on some of the most valuable and visible property in the entire city?

Good stuff and I appreciate the response - but the question was: what is an example of a good mid/low rise in the area that you would want to see more of?

Good stuff and I appreciate the response - but the question was: what is an example of a good mid/low rise in the area that you would want to see more of?

I am not an architecture guy but I would think Ashton (Tremont and Camden) is one of the few mid/low rise apartment projects that will age reasonably well. Its the execption to the rule becuase it was buit before the bubble burst in 2007 so its not stick built.

Now that I have cited it as an example of something decent I'll say that I don't think it does a good job of interfacing with the street on the Tremont or Dunavant sides. Railtrail side is decent IMO.

Edited by kermit

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/7039/packard-place-restaurant-site-plans/

So its not exactly a beer garden. Still looks like its going to be awesome.

I dunno, the seating layout in that site plan screams "upscale restaurant" which we have plenty of already, and the amount of outdoor seating looks small and sparse. I'm a bit disappointed.

^^I agree, I'm a little underwhelmed by the plan. Especially the patio that looks more like club seating overlooking a parking lot. I'm not a restaurant designer, but there are a lot of things that just seem a little funky about the overall layout.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 1

^^I agree, I'm a little underwhelmed by the plan. Especially the patio that looks more like club seating overlooking a parking lot. I'm not a restaurant designer, but there are a lot of things that just seem a little funky about the overall layout.

Overall I think it's going to be a great spot and fill a huge void by adding a full service restaurant to 3rd ward. However I definitely agree the lounge and club seating outside is very strange. I can't imagine it being nice since it needs to battle the weather.

The inside to me seems like it'll have a community feel with large tables and "friendship tables" I'm imagining something along the lines of all American or whiskey warehouse given the owners.

I don't want to completely judge until I hear their full vision. A beer garden would be nice, but let's not write this place off. It'll certainly be better than Picassos and definitely be a great addition to uptown.

Going to add to the feeling of slight disappointment in this for me too.  Hope they really know what they are doing.  No doubt better then Picasso's and certainly not writing it off, but was certainly hopping for something slightly different.  I really wanted a place that could bring the dog too as well and certainly not getting that vibe from it either.

• Like 1

• New structure to be built on half of existing parking lot
  • Lounge area outside on remainder of existing parking lot

Okay, so at least they're using the entire parking lot.  I thought I remember someone saying a while back that they were only using the top half of the parking lot... but obviously that would have been silly to leave such a small parking lot below the restaurant/patio.

I'm not sure that's right - I think it's still only the "upper" parking area, which is being cut in half with new enclosed space and exterior patio space. If I'm interpreting correctly the lower portion of the lot that includes the street corner is outside the scope of work.

I think you gus are talking about slightly different things.  The "lower" portion of the deck is located underneathe where this patio is going.  The lower (elevation wise) parking lot located between the new patio and 4th St is owned by Preferred Parking, and has nothing to do with Packard Place.

Maybe the city/Packard could purchase that "lower" lot and turn it into a small extension of bearden. Or maybe a small outdoor market space. Seems like a pocket park-ing lot will kill the flow of this area in the long run, it's too small for a substantial structure, nor would this new restaurant benefit from being cut off from the street if something were built there.

Maybe the city/Packard could purchase that "lower" lot and turn it into a small extension of bearden. Or maybe a small outdoor market space. Seems like a pocket park-ing lot will kill the flow of this area in the long run, it's too small for a substantial structure, nor would this new restaurant benefit from being cut off from the street if something were built there.

That's a great thought (the market). I would love to see that happen. There are like.....40 spots on that lot, hopefully it becomes too expensive for it to be worth keeping.

That's a fantastic idea! Someone posted a link to a market in Cleveland made up of shipping containers. That would be perfect here. There are 36 spots in that lot and they lease for $175/mo. Add in some nightly and weekend and they probably get about $8k per month off of that. The lot is 48' x 186'. If you arranged shipping containers to be 40' x 175' you'd have 7,000 square feet and lease it at $20 per foot = $12k per month. How do we make this happen?!