3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Someone made a comment on here many many pages ago to the tune of "and on the 8th day, god said let there be 3rd ward"

Pretty accurate with the speed at which Third Ward has evolved from a sea of asphalt to an uptown neighborhood.

I mean its definitely changed a lot, but i will have a hard time saying it evolved into an uptown neighborhood until you can actually safely cross into the residential side of 3rd Ward.

Also, More and more everyday I wish Beazer hadn't turned out to be a Scam of a company. Especially after seeing the blocks and blocks of grassy fields just blocks from the stadium in person last weekend.

Edited by Guest

I mean its definitely changed a lot, but i will have a hard time saying it evolved into an uptown neighborhood until you can actually safely cross into the residential side of 3rd Ward.

Also, More and more everyday I wish Beazer hadn't turned out to be a Scam of a company. Especially after seeing the blocks and blocks of grassy fields just blocks from the stadium in person last weekend.

Well, it is a neighborhood in the sense that people live there now (on the east side of the tracks that divide uptown) while virtually nobody did before the last few years.

Well, it is a neighborhood in the sense that people live there now (on the east side of the tracks that divide uptown) while virtually nobody did before the last few years.

True, True. It'll be much much better when everything is completed. I just with they would hurry up with the MLK connector.

I think when it didn't happen relative to the project going in there and the AAA baseball stadium (it could have easily been bundled into that roadway budget), it is a very unlikely project.   At least they have reserved the right of way, so at some point it could be done.  

It will be a sick 24 seet patio. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-14 at 11.11.08 AM.png

For Chupitos: Maybe it's only because I have driven by it and not had a good chance to look, but this 'patio' area doesn't look NEARLY like it does in the plans, nor big enough to do really anything.

Edited by Jayvee

^ could something be going on with this place?  Work has stopped for about a month now and just in the last couple days that big 'Chupitos' sign and the little logo sign has been removed from the building.  Anyone know anything?

The signs are gone?!?! I haven't been by it that recently, this place has been in and out of construction for about a year. My guess is their funding fell through, dang that really sucks

^ could something be going on with this place?  Work has stopped for about a month now and just in the last couple days that big 'Chupitos' sign and the little logo sign has been removed from the building.  Anyone know anything?

Frankly the fact that signage was installed before the upfit looked even 30% complete gave me a feeling that they don't know what they're doing. 

Frankly the fact that signage was installed before the upfit looked even 30% complete gave me a feeling that they don't know what they're doing. 

You are 100% right, from the very beginning they didnt seem like they had a clue. They established a social media presence last May, and almost as quickly, went completely silent.

All I know is, every time I go in the garage at 715 N. Church, there is a Chupito's car with a huge "C" on the top of it parked there. 

The location is ideal for pre-and-post game traffic, but they are really going to need massive outdoor space for games, as well as broader appeal for off-season if they want to make it...you know, provided they open in the first place.

Perhaps it has already been mentioned, but I think the swath of hideous surface-lot parking on that side of Graham gives it a feeling that this is where uptown kind of "ends," even though it doesn't. I think in the coming years we will see more development at these sites and that's what is going to really help connect that portion of Third Ward with the rest of uptown. Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of high-rise across from the new Mint apartments (whether residential or commerical) and an elevated walkway across Graham at that location. I think it would help third ward feel more continuous and help with everyday pedestrian safety as well as help with game-day flow.

• 4 weeks later...

Walking past the mint this morning, it's pretty far fleshed out but one thing. The retail on the trade side, it seems beyond tiny, I couldn't imagine what would possibly even fit in there. It seems too small even for a convenience shop or coffee. Who knows though, I guess.

no pictures?!?!!???!!?? JEEZE.

Walking past the mint this morning, it's pretty far fleshed out but one thing. The retail on the trade side, it seems beyond tiny, I couldn't imagine what would possibly even fit in there. It seems too small even for a convenience shop or coffee. Who knows though, I guess.

So, you're saying it's conveniently too small for anything other than the leasing office? 

So, you're saying it's conveniently too small for anything other than the leasing office?

It won't be the leasing office, that is on the graham street corner, the space in question is on the courthouse side and its real retail. It's about 1100 sq feet if I remember correctly, which is plenty big for a lot of things.

Even though its not huge, I drove past The Mint for the first time in many months over the weekend. It has a nice presence. I wish we were getting a little more height in that part of town, but it definitely helps the area feel more complete. I imagine the other project over there (Woodfield?) will be the same.

Even though its not huge, I drove past The Mint for the first time in many months over the weekend. It has a nice presence. I wish we were getting a little more height in that part of town, but it definitely helps the area feel more complete. I imagine the other project over there (Woodfield?) will be the same.

While the height would help the overall skyline, actually having this project here really helps change this section of Graham for the better. Folks used to get over the hill and drive the section like a freeway until they hit Mint St and the stadium. 

• Like 1