3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I've posted site plans somewhere on this site. I can repost... If I can find it... 

The courtyards, and sky terraces will be on both sides of the property, facing the courthouse, and graham street, in the middle of the block. 

I thought you posted them somewhere, I have been looking for them as well. It just seems like they're getting a lot in the small space. Which I guess is great, really looking forward to this property fleshing out. Will probably move here in April.

Found one rendering you posted that makes sense of where the pool is going....gotta love that amazing view of....the greyhound station

http://risdenmcelroy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/urban-infill-housing.jpg

Edited by Jayvee

I thought you posted them somewhere, I have been looking for them as well. It just seems like they're getting a lot in the small space. Which I guess is great, really looking forward to this property fleshing out. Will probably move here in April.

Found one rendering you posted that makes sense of where the pool is going....gotta love that amazing view of....the greyhound station

http://risdenmcelroy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/urban-infill-housing.jpg

I updated my post above, so you can see it. 

And it looks like you updated your post as well. LOL. 

I am still investigating the "sky terrace" I see no evidence of that one.

Here are screen shots of the courtyards.

post-17104-0-71429400-1413295540_thumb.p

post-17104-0-71264700-1413295542_thumb.p

Edited by Guest

Maybe it is a nit and a detail that is not accurate, but why does that rendering have what appears to be a 6' sidewalk with a planting strip on Graham at Trade.   Not only is it expected to be a massive pedestrian zone with the new transit station and eventual streetcar, etc. but it is already a massive pedestrian zone with the two stadiums (stadia?)   Please tell me they will make an urban sidewalk here.

That planting strip will be permanently dead grass in perpetuity. 

They would be remiss to not include a rooftop terrace.  They skyline view will be very good from this building, so to only have the terraces on the Graham side will be a big miss.  But if they're marketing it, they're almost certainly doing it.  

That Chupitos place going in next to Woodfield Graham and the stadium was doing some grading work yesterday.  Are they adding to the building or are they going to put a patio out there?  A patio would be awesome.

It will be a sick 24 seet patio. 

post-17104-0-90389100-1413299352_thumb.p

It will be a sick 24 seet patio. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-14 at 11.11.08 AM.png

This place is probably going to do really well.  It's not in the greatest spot right now, but once you've got apartments next door and the hotel across the street, plus the added benefit of 8 NFL games and 72 MILB games a year...I have a hard time seeing how this place could fail (unless they are idiots).

The city REALLY needs to widen the sidewalk right there though.  Honestly, I wish they would drop Graham down to 1 lane in each direction after it hits 4th street, make it more pedestrian friendly since they shut it down for half the time anyways for events.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

I'm unclear, why is that railroad right of way not abandoned and potentially bought by these people?

It is about time they remove the vestigial retaining wall from the old railroad bridge and expand the 2' sidewalk on there.  I actually use that 2' sidewalk more than I would ever have guessed because it is far safer to cross Graham at MLK than jaywalking at the bend, and it is often far out of my way to use the Mint St intersection.   All this on my way through the greenway underpass toward Cedar.  

It is one of the many things that gets me mad about this city.  To me, they ought to remove the turn lane in this section and provide proper pedestrian infrastructure.   It used to not matter because it was only really used by pedestrians for game day when streets were closed, but this is quickly shifting, and there are far more game days with the BB&T stadium. 

Graham from start to finish should be redone, but sadly it is a state road, and the state is incompetent when it comes to urban streets. 

This place is probably going to do really well.  It's not in the greatest spot right now, but once you've got apartments next door and the hotel across the street, plus the added benefit of 8 NFL games and 72 MILB games a year...I have a hard time seeing how this place could fail (unless they are idiots).

The city REALLY needs to widen the sidewalk right there though.  Honestly, I wish they would drop Graham down to 1 lane in each direction after it hits 4th street, make it more pedestrian friendly since they shut it down for half the time anyways for events.

The city would love to address Graham St. but alas it is a state road for the portion in Uptown..... So....

They could take over the street like they did with South Blvd.   Even McCrory would (should) be supportive of that because he pushed for it with South Blvd (this was the 'corridor of crap' era).  

Graham is exceedingly unsafe and hard to use as a pedestrian and a vehicle.    I don't even know the solution outside of spending serious money to widen the right of way in 4th Ward.   There is a bit more space in the 3rd Ward section, such as removal of the turn lanes here to widen the sidewalk (seriously, we have a turn lane to turn LEFT on the dead end section of a tiny street, MLK, but none at 6th St a major workhorse one-direction thoroughfare?).  

Looking at the rendering at The Mint reminded me of the seriously shortsighted planning and design of such a well-used urban street.

We have bus routes on a street where buses do not fit in the lane.   We have a sidewalk design that crimps to maybe 4' around tree wells.  We have upgraded materials (yay), but their lack of maintenance leads to bricks that you can easily trip into traffic on and granit curbs that are now only 1-2" above the traffic lanes.  We have no street refuse bins, leading to a massive litter problem that makes the area seem blighted.  We have poorly lit conditions but people crossing at random a LOT because there are not enough crossings (namely at the curve by the stadium and between 7th and 9th).   

When I walk Graham, I literally walk at the edge of the sidewalk and constantly watch the cars to make sure none are near the nonexistent curb.  When I drive Graham, I do my best to pretend to change lanes so I can straddle both so I can stay far from the curb area and from the oncoming traffic in the other direction that is equally strained for space.

They could take over the street like they did with South Blvd.   Even McCrory would (should) be supportive of that because he pushed for it with South Blvd (this was the 'corridor of crap' era).  

Graham is exceedingly unsafe and hard to use as a pedestrian and a vehicle.    I don't even know the solution outside of spending serious money to widen the right of way in 4th Ward.   There is a bit more space in the 3rd Ward section, such as removal of the turn lanes here to widen the sidewalk (seriously, we have a turn lane to turn LEFT on the dead end section of a tiny street, MLK, but none at 6th St a major workhorse one-direction thoroughfare?).  

Looking at the rendering at The Mint reminded me of the seriously shortsighted planning and design of such a well-used urban street.

We have bus routes on a street where buses do not fit in the lane.   We have a sidewalk design that crimps to maybe 4' around tree wells.  We have upgraded materials (yay), but their lack of maintenance leads to bricks that you can easily trip into traffic on and granit curbs that are now only 1-2" above the traffic lanes.  We have no street refuse bins, leading to a massive litter problem that makes the area seem blighted.  We have poorly lit conditions but people crossing at random a LOT because there are not enough crossings (namely at the curve by the stadium and between 7th and 9th).   

When I walk Graham, I literally walk at the edge of the sidewalk and constantly watch the cars to make sure none are near the nonexistent curb.  When I drive Graham, I do my best to pretend to change lanes so I can straddle both so I can stay far from the curb area and from the oncoming traffic in the other direction that is equally strained for space.

Wow tell us how you really feel haha. Yeah I agree Graham is a mess, but digressing.....that Chiputos patio is going to be AMAZING and traffic is going to be even more rough when the 2 apt complexes open, I just don't see Graham changing any time soon.

One gripe about Chiputos.....why do bars continue to only have ONE toilet per sex in their venue....I understand a bathroom takes up space but c'mon, few things are more annoying than waiting in line to go to the bathroom.

Edited by Jayvee

The new owners of 400 South Tryon, Trinity Capital Partners, are looking to add a beer garden or restaurant to the back of the 33 story office tower that faces Romare Bearden Park. Additionally, they are looking to add some retail and a fitness center. I don't quite recall what this side facing the park looks like now, so not sure exactly how or where the beer garden/restaurant would fit. Sounds promising though.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/beer-garden-near-the-ballpark-trinity-looks-to.html

The new owners of 400 South Tryon, Trinity Capital Partners, are looking to add a beer garden or restaurant to the back of the 33 story office tower that faces Romare Bearden Park. Additionally, they are looking to add some retail and a fitness center. I don't quite recall what this side facing the park looks like now, so not sure exactly how or where the beer garden/restaurant would fit. Sounds promising though.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/beer-garden-near-the-ballpark-trinity-looks-to.html

The side facing romare bearden is a very very ugly parking deck :-)

park.jpg it's the one on the right.

Edited by Guest

Oh does that cover up retail space in there? Yeah I am not sure where they would fit all that stuff, but this all sounds promising.

Honestly it probably covers up unneeded storage, and parking spaces. I live in Brooklyn, and recently a parking deck by me got rid of about 15 parking spaces and opened a Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins and an American Greetings. I'd say work only took 9-12 months. I'd say they opened about 8500 sq feet up. Which is plenty for a beer garden/restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

The new thread for "the Bearden" got me thinking, was there not a decent sized tower rumored for the lot at Mint & 4th, behind Trademark? I've been scanning through the thread but I can't find it.

It was a hotel who had their financing fall through.