The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Actually, as I said, this is not the first vintage clothing store to open up downtown. I can think of at least two others already open and doing well. I welcome this addition.

I don't wish the owners ill, it's hard enough to get a new place open and going and make it stick, it takes guts to do that but....

I remember mallguy posting at one point how downtown Greenville was attracting stores like you saw in Greenville Mal before its mid90's renovation: vintage clothing, used books, etc. A Micheline store is good, and hopefully there will be more national and international retailers downtown, but at the moment it's just another second hand store.

Oh joy, another shop that sells merchandise that most people will never buy.

What kind of stores do we want on main street? Family dollar, Spinx, Wall mart? I mean these are the stores that people buy most of their stuff at.

This store appears to be hip, cool and unique which Greenville needs more of. My wife will definitely shop there and I believe it will be a successful business. :thumbsup:

I think the city really needs to more forward with Piazza Bergamo, even if the Woolworth project won't happen concuurently. That part of Main needs an boost, and an additional draw.

I agree. What are they exactly waiting on for the Piazza to move forward? BoA is working on their renovations correct?

I am actually hoping that the Piazza Bergamo will somehow be incorporated into the Woolworth site project - perhaps widened and much more grande than we have been imagining so far. The plaza has unlimited potential to be a massive magnet. I'm dreaming, but hoping for the very best.

Driving down Main Street today, I noticed some guys checking out a building. Pardon me for not knowing the exact address. It's the greenish building on the same side of the street as Mast. About a block south. Just northing of that pink building with the spa/fitness center. One of the closed stores was a grocer, according to its sign. Looks like all of the spaces are vacant.

Anyway, there were two guys that appeared to be inspecting the building. Architectural plans in hand.

It looks like maybe they'll be starting some work on the space, and hopfully a great new shop/restaurant moving in!

Driving down Main Street today, I noticed some guys checking out a building. Pardon me for not knowing the exact address. It's the greenish building on the same side of the street as Mast. About a block south. Just northing of that pink building with the spa/fitness center. One of the closed stores was a grocer, according to its sign. Looks like all of the spaces are vacant.

Anyway, there were two guys that appeared to be inspecting the building. Architectural plans in hand.

It looks like maybe they'll be starting some work on the space, and hopfully a great new shop/restaurant moving in!

come on, national retailer!!! :good:

Have you guys seen this? The Clothing Warehouse, Its great to see something new

coming to this part of main street.

DSC01114.jpg

This is excellent! Exactly the kind of hip store downtown needs! Drove by this morning and they have signs up for hiring. I may miss Bentley's a little, but this is an outstanding replacment and while not a national retailer, definitely a quality regional retailer! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very shocked at some of the negative responses to this store. This is the kind of store that populates downtowns like Asheville, Austin, Seattle, etc. I know I'll be giving them business! :yahoo:

Edited by gsupstate

Drove down Academy Street from 123 into downtown today- no retail purchasing power in that neighborhood that would attract a Williams-Sonoma or the like downtown!

The city really needs to work on attracting higher-income residents to some of the neighborhoods west of downtown; that would definitely help downtown retail if enough income growth among a large enough residential base is obtained.

Glad to see the Clothing Warehouse coming, but is Greenville- where tennis shoes and khakis/Levi's and knit shirts predominate- edgy enough to support that kind of store?

Edited by mallguy

• 4 weeks later...

From reading the Journal this week, it sounds as though there are a number of bars on Main that haven't paid their hospitality taxes or for their renewed business licenses, so the city may be forced to shut them down. That could depleat an already thinning Main Street. :dontknow:

Woa, that's news to me. Interesting. Is this a protest, or what?

From reading the Journal this week, it sounds as though there are a number of bars on Main that haven't paid their hospitality taxes or for their renewed business licenses, so the city may be forced to shut them down. That could depleat an already thinning Main Street. :dontknow:

I saw that too. But I wonder if some of them may relocate to other parts of DT, thereby setting up a new nightlife district off of main st. That could actually be a good thing.