The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I think that's a common misconception, really. Although they focus on bubble tea, yes, their menu goes beyond just that. My wife orders hot Chai Tea...ain't no stinkin' pearls in those. They even have coffee, although I've never tried it. A flickr friend of mine that recently relocated into the area from up north commented on one of my photos that O-Cha has the best vegeterian-friendly menu they've found in Greenville so far.

To each there own tastes...but for the record there are those of us who really enjoy those pearls....I've never been much of a coffee drinker and love having an alternative to that.

To each there own tastes...but for the record there are those of us who really enjoy those pearls....I've never been much of a coffee drinker and love having an alternative to that.

Tea, coffee, you name and if it has caffeine, I love it. :lol: I did read sometime last year in a magazine, on one of my flights, that tea consumption is growing at a quicker rate in the U.S. than coffee. I think part of this trend may be the fact that tea is viewed in a healthier light than coffee. The tea phenom is the reason you see chains like Teavana gaining popularity rapidly.

What I like about O'Cha is that you can do tea in many styles.....bubble tea.....green tea (Asian).....tea with cream (British)....etc, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

Tea, coffee, you name and if it has caffeine, I love it. :lol: I did read sometime last year in a magazine, on one of my flights, that tea consumption is growing at a quicker rate in the U.S. than coffee. I think part of this trend may be the fact that tea is viewed in a healthier light than coffee. The tea phenom is the reason you see chains like Teavana gaining popularity rapidly.

What I like about O'Cha is that you can do tea in many styles.....bubble tea.....green tea (Asian).....tea with cream (British)....etc, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

Part of the reason for the rate of growth is at this point, with the the number of outlets, coffee consumption is getting close to tapping out its market. Tea is another hot beverage to entice the consumer with, which is why you see the coffee chains expanding their tea offerings.

This is part of the reason Coca-Cola Enterprises is cutting jobs in a continuing restructuring plan.

The job cuts had been anticipated by analysts who said the company has struggled with higher costs for aluminum and other commodities and a shift in consumer tastes away from carbonated beverages to juices, teas and waters.

We were downtown this weekend, and decided to visit Carolina Chocolates. We were quite disappointed.

Our first visit was at about 5:05 p.m. on Saturday, February 17th. We wanted to pick up some special treats for my parents who were watching our boys for our anniversary. However, the lights were off and the door was locked. We looked for a sign with their hours, but there was none.

I would think that 5:05 p.m. on a Saturday evening would be a pretty good time for a chocolate shop. But alas, they were closed.

So this Sunday morning (February 18th) we walked out of the Hyatt at 9:15 a.m. to go get coffee. We noticed that the lights were on at Carolina Chocolates. We figured we'd stop by on our way back. We were at their door at about 9:40 a.m.

Now I must say, I think that 9:40 a.m. on a Sunday would not be a real good time for sales at a chocolate shop, but hey, we were still looking for those yummy treats to take home!

The lights were on, and the door was unlocked. We went inside. We looked around for about 5-10 minutes, but no one ever came out from the back. (The door has a bell that rings when you walk in, so it's not like we snuck in.) You could hear someone back there, but they never came out.

We left without buying any yummy treats.

I don't know what's up with the shop. Closed on Saturday at 5 pm but "open" on Sunday at 9:30 am? Seems they've got their sales market all backwards. And then being open but no one to help you?

It's a shame. We could have easily become patrons of this store. But after our experience, we will certainly go elsewhere for more reliable hours and service. And at least hours posted on the door!

We were downtown this weekend, and decided to visit Carolina Chocolates. We were quite disappointed.

Our first visit was at about 5:05 p.m. on Saturday, February 17th. We wanted to pick up some special treats for my parents who were watching our boys for our anniversary. However, the lights were off and the door was locked. We looked for a sign with their hours, but there was none.

I would think that 5:05 p.m. on a Saturday evening would be a pretty good time for a chocolate shop. But alas, they were closed.

So this Sunday morning (February 18th) we walked out of the Hyatt at 9:15 a.m. to go get coffee. We noticed that the lights were on at Carolina Chocolates. We figured we'd stop by on our way back. We were at their door at about 9:40 a.m.

Now I must say, I think that 9:40 a.m. on a Sunday would not be a real good time for sales at a chocolate shop, but hey, we were still looking for those yummy treats to take home!

The lights were on, and the door was unlocked. We went inside. We looked around for about 5-10 minutes, but no one ever came out from the back. (The door has a bell that rings when you walk in, so it's not like we snuck in.) You could hear someone back there, but they never came out.

We left without buying any yummy treats.

I don't know what's up with the shop. Closed on Saturday at 5 pm but "open" on Sunday at 9:30 am? Seems they've got their sales market all backwards. And then being open but no one to help you?

It's a shame. We could have easily become patrons of this store. But after our experience, we will certainly go elsewhere for more reliable hours and service. And at least hours posted on the door!

How do you know they were open on Sunday? Maybe there was a cleaning crew or some other necessity maintenance that was being done. It seems it would be far from normal for a chocolate shop to be open on a February Sunday morning. Being closed at 5 pm on Saturday doesn't sound too out of the ordinary either. The Chocolate Shoppe on Wade Hampton is closed before then on Saturday.

Not saying they do or don't have good operations, but there may have been other factors.

... The Chocolate Shoppe on Wade Hampton is closed before then on Saturday.

Not saying they do or don't have good operations, but there may have been other factors.

The Chocolate Shoppe is actually in the Lake Forest shopping center, which is on Pleasantburg, directly across from BJU. That is definitely the best place to buy cookies and chocolates, IMO.

This is random...but was anyone else dissapointed that "Eden" went out of business? I loved that store...

I frequently shopped EDEN Limited, and am extremely disappointed they closed up. The only positive part of their closure is that they gave their customers plenty of advance notice.

The Chocolate Shoppe is actually in the Lake Forest shopping center, which is on Pleasantburg, directly across from BJU. That is definitely the best place to buy cookies and chocolates, IMO.

If you like there chocolates your should try Moonstruck Chocolates, both Fresh Market and Whole Foods sell them....I think they are better than Godiva Chocolates......sorry just thought I'd add my 2 cents....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joy, another shop that sells merchandise that most people will never buy.

Thank you!

I think that this idea will be a unique add to Main Street, but it does amaze me that so many people are willing to take the risk to open shops that appeal to such a narrow base. Like the Ocha Tea pudding place.