The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Was walking along Main Street today and noticed the old Raglans Market space next to Mast. Looks like a new entrance going on it. An there was a sign up announcing the new occupant.

"Meatheads Sports Bar & Grill".

Well, doesn't sound like someplace I'm going to frequent, but at least there's something going in.

Speaking of bars & grills, is City Tavern closed? It didn't look real open today, and there was no sign out front. Never been in there either, but we joke about how my mother-in-law went there for lunch when she was in town because she thought could eat outside and have a veggie sandwich. Hmmm..... :-)

I believe Rising Roll is going into the street level space and Meatheads is going down where the Baitshack was.

Isn't City Tavern the one that was purchased a year or two ago by Bill Masters (the Perception kayak guy, and the one whose wife is behind the "Save McBee Plaza" thing)? If City Tavern truly is closed, then maybe we will get a new owner - and an improved-looking exterior (minus the ugly teal wall and awning).

Edited by Greenville

Isn't City Tavern the one that was purchased a year or two ago by Bill Masters (the Perception kayak guy, and the one whose wife is behind the "Save McBee Plaza" thing)? If City Tavern truly is closed, then maybe we will get a new owner - and an improved-looking exterior (minus the ugly teal wall and awning).

As of last week City Tavern was open. Hopefully its closed and will get a makeover, and it will no longer be referred to by Greenvillians as S#%tty Tavern!

I believe the teal awning is down, but nothing has replaced it. If this is the place on the corner of North and Main

The Tavern is still open and doing very well actually. As far as the look of the building goes, I know that the new owner as of about 2 years ago put several options in front of the city with regards to the look of the building and they could not come to agreement with something that worked for everyone so for now it stays as is.

They took the awning down, as GvillesSC stated, but unless they closed sometime this week, they were probably just slow at the time. It makes a HUGE difference just having the awning down though. :thumbsup:

Possible. But at around noon on a Friday, all of the patio chairs and tables were stacked up in a corner out front. I might be clueless to the business... do they do a lunch business? If not, it makes perfect sense. But if they do, if nothing else, it didn't look open.

• 1 month later...

Noticed last night that a new home store has opened in the old Earshot space. Called "Mia Dimora". Anyone checked it out yet?

I know the couple that owns it. It's a really neat store and it's actually the former Brown St. Interiors (which was briefly located next to the Brown Street Jazz Club - the club wanted to expand, so Brown St. Interiors relocated and renamed). They carry a lot of Italian imports - really nice furniture and accessories with a decent price range. And I think they are exclusive retailers in this area for a few imported lines.

The Clothing Warehouse may be the answer to our prayers! I was downtown tonight and they were open. Yes a retail place open and drawing in a few people while I sat nearby. Yea several places stay open later on Fridays, and I don't have a clue what their hours are for other nights, but I think it's a step in the right direction to gain more places staying open later. There is something to prove, and hopefully they can do it!

^ Yeah. I'm really liking the Clothing Warehouse. They were open one weeknight (not weekend night) after 8:00 I noticed. They must be open until 9:00 every evening. Bought a couple of fun shirts that evening and ask them how they were doing. They said they were doing really well. Evenings in downtown can be the busiest times. Never understood why the local stores don't stay open. Takes a regional store coming to downtown to lead the way. :thumbsup:

I was going say the same about this being yet another nice small specialty shop yesterday, but didn't have time. Basically it is hard to point to any shops or stores downtown and say that they do not specialize something, whether it be unique or not. The latest addition of Publix is probably the closest we have come to a "non-specialty" shop in several years. It is hard to define what makes a shop "non-specialty" though. Even the Mast General Store, with its variety of products, still specializes in many "Old-Fashioned Country" items. You walk through the doors and instantly feel as though you are in a rural country general store. That is its specialty. The proposed bookstore (Borders or B&N) will be a specialty shop attracting many people as well. Caf

Learned this over drinks tonight.....two additional regional chains are looking at locations on North Main. One apparently is close to signing a lease. Wasn't told who the companies are, but apparently both are well known in the Southeast.

It'll be great to see more retail, for sure. The old Subway location is undergoing renovations, does anyone know if that space is spoken for? I can't think of too many vacant storefronts. Anyone want to throw out some locations and chains?

It'll be great to see more retail, for sure. The old Subway location is undergoing renovations, does anyone know if that space is spoken for? I can't think of too many vacant storefronts. Anyone want to throw out some locations and chains?

There really isn't much available right now. Only three I can think of off the top of my head.

There's the old Barefoot Store across from the hyatt. Big space and pretty high rent.

718 S. Main, near the American Grocery, next to the Spa is available at a very reasonable rate.

One space left in the Bookends. Expensive of course.

Of course, there is a lot of space left in McBee Station too. Just not done yet.