The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

On a positive note, a walk up Main Street today reveals that there are several new shops/restaurants opening up soon. We have already heard or read about someone seriously eying the former Drakes (florist) location as well as the former Intuition location, but now add the former Ragan's Market (as someone else mentioned), Eden Limited location, and Diner on Main location as having new tenants moving in soon. Diner on Main will now be home to a fine Indian Restaurant. I can't say what the others will be though. :shades:

• 1 month later...

The Clothing Warehouse was open this weekend on Main. Checked it out.....fun place. Good crowd of shoppers as well. :thumbsup:

http://www.theclothingwarehouse.com/

We had a chance to check them out after work Today. It surpassed our expectations, a very nice addition to downtown with an urban (translation NYC/Atlanta, etc) feel to it. 12 dollar Vintage T's are not too shabby either. Its very nice to have more retail with potential to draw folks and dollars back to Main Street (north of the west end, that is).

Edited by gvegascple

We had a chance to check them out after work Today. It surpassed our expectations, a very nice addition to downtown with an urban (translastion NYC/Atlanta, etc) feel to it. 12 dollar Vintage T's are not too shabby either. Its very nice to have more retail with potential to draw folks and dollars back to Main Street (north of the west end, that is).

Sounds great and like a winner. I hope they do well. :)

There was a proposal for this site 6-8 months ago, but the DPC nixed it based on some random historical data that really means nothing to anyone. The developers claimed that the building could not be preserved, because of safety reasons at that time. There has been nothing since that time.

It really is a great location.

Btw, your member data in the left hand column says you are from San Sousi ... I am pretty sure that it should be spelled San Souci.

Noticed yesterday that the work is really heavy on the old Ragans Market space. A new facade is being added. Major renovation.

I looked back through this thread and read that a national retailer is going into this spot. Anyone know who this national retailer is?

Didn't a re-design for this block go back before the DPC and get approved?

That's what I thought I remembered as well, but I'm not 100% certain. Either way, anything would be better than a building which is falling down. Just put a plaque on the wall or something...or include a sculpture on the corner of that particular Wade Hampton (don't remember which Wade Hampton it was) depicting him as governor. No need to preserve the entire building.

I do remember that the development on the old Sheely Electric site behind it got approval.

Edited by RestedTraveler

i think we have hit an all time low.......from what i have heard there will be a pet bakery going into the old peak performance building on south main called Falls Bark Bakery.....is something that we really have a demand for and boy they really phoned it in on that name <_<

Are they smokin' catnip?!?!?!? WTF? I certainly hope they're baking more than just pet goods.

As the master of a black lab with a picky appetite, I'm actually happy about the dog bakery. Sounds like a great location to.....right by the park.....lots of dogs, dog lovers and tourist who have dogs back home. Sounds like a smart idea to me....the pet industry has been one of the fastest growing industries for three or four years now.

Anytime I'm in a city with a Three Dog Bakery, I stop in.

https://www.threedog.com/Default.aspx

Glad to see this and great to see additional unique offerings downtown. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anytime I'm in a city with a Three Dog Bakery, I stop in.

https://www.threedog.com/Default.aspx

Glad to see this and great to see additional unique offerings downtown. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There's actually a market for gourmet pet treats? I had no idea and I meant no offense, but the idea just sounded a bit outlandish to me (and still does). I love my pets, but there's no way I'd spoil them with gourmet treats from a bakery... *glances off to the left to find a calico cat giving him an evil eye* ...well, not every day at least.

There's actually a market for gourmet pet treats?

Do you have any idea how much Americans spend on their pets? It's crazy how obsessed some people get with stupid animals. Our society's priorities are all messed up.

Oh...and I can't wait until it opens so I can get something for my wittle poopykins...she deserves it...yes she does!

MaydayFlowers.web.jpg

Do you have any idea how much Americans spend on their pets? It's crazy how obsessed some people get with stupid animals. Our society's priorities are all messed up.

In 2005 around 36 billion a year by Americans on pet supplies / gear / food / etc. Probaby tops 40 billion easily by now. I've done my part to contribute.

Instead of spending on animals that give unconditional love, companionship, help the sick and blind, help the elderly, etc, we could spend that 36 billion on any of the following:

Killing more humans in the Middle East.....

Breast implants to continue to promote sexism......

Highways for cars that pollute our planet......

Professional football players who have very little education.....

Additional taxes that continue to perpetuate this country into a welfare state......

Oh wait, we do spend money on these things.

Yep, I agree with you. Our priorities are messed up. ;)

In 2005 around 36 billion a year by Americans on pet supplies / gear / food / etc. Probaby tops 40 billion easily by now. I've done my part to contribute.

Instead of spending on animals that give unconditional love, companionship, help the sick and blind, help the elderly, etc, we could spend that 36 billion on any of the following:

Killing more humans in the Middle East.....

Breast implants to continue to promote sexism......

Highways for cars that pollute our planet......

Professional football players who have very little education.....

Additional taxes that continue to perpetuate this country into a welfare state......

Oh wait, we do spend money on these things.

Yep, I agree with you. Our priorities are messed up. ;)

:rofl:

There's actually a market for gourmet pet treats?

Back in Alexandria, VA, there were several, and they did a huge business. Even sold specialty birthday cakes for dogs. Yep, even your dog can have it's own birthday cake! Canine-healthy of course!

With the new dog parks in the area, it sounds like there is at least the beginnings of a vibrant dog community here. The store might succeed.

I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I still get my pet foods at Publix or PetSmart or Petco. I hadn't even realized that there was such a gourmet market for pets...it still seems a bit overboard to me, and I do love my pets.

"It's OK to love your pet, just don't LOVE your pet."

• 3 weeks later...

Was walking along Main Street today and noticed the old Raglans Market space next to Mast. Looks like a new entrance going on it. An there was a sign up announcing the new occupant.

"Meatheads Sports Bar & Grill".

Well, doesn't sound like someplace I'm going to frequent, but at least there's something going in.

Speaking of bars & grills, is City Tavern closed? It didn't look real open today, and there was no sign out front. Never been in there either, but we joke about how my mother-in-law went there for lunch when she was in town because she thought could eat outside and have a veggie sandwich. Hmmm..... :-)