The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I think that you can rest assured that the City won't do anything to its trees that would destroy the feel of Main St. In fact, I hope they plan to take out a few more and replace them with new ones.... sooner or later these things are going to die and you'll need/want a replacement canopy.

Yes, but these trees are still young. The City has planted trees more recently, which could have become the "second generation" canopy, but it sounds as if they are being taken down in the name of more patio space. <_<

RT, another one you missed was Qi Mountain, which is supposedly looking for another location in the West End. (?)

Diner on Main was one of my new favorite all-around restaurants on Main Street as well.

Scarboro Heirlooms, while not the kind of place most people would shop at frequently, was definitely another of those charming European-style shops you could easily write home about. I have been missing their addition to that part of Main Street since they closed their doors in the Fall.

Across the street, Enchantment, a small shop which has been in business since 1910, is about to close its doors as well, leaving that entire block of Main Street with absolutely no retail left.

On a positive note, High Cotton (at RiverPlace) should become a dining destination in downtown Greenville. Take a look insinde the windows and you may find yourself drooling over the stylish and spacious decor. Top quality all the way. :shades:

They will be opening up on Wednesday.

A few of the guys from there ate at my cart today.

As far as Downtown retail.

The winter is really affecting buisness. The problem is, people arent coming out to support any buisness's in the colder weather. It was like a ghost town out there today. It wasnt that cold.

Life goes on people. Get over it. Its a little cold. So.... wear an extra shirt and heavy coat.

Its funny, i see the people on the street that look like they are freezin. Its the idiots with no jacket and a thin shirt on.

I dont know how some of these buisness's are staying open . Its dead down there. People have to suck it up and get over the cold weather.

I think this is 80% of the problem.

People werent closing there doors in the spring and summer.

They have high rents and cant swing it in the winter. Thank God I dont have rent. I dont know how I would do it. Granted , I have a different operation, but I see the foot traffic on the street. Theres no one coming downtown walking around.

^^^I went to Quizno's yesterday downtown and it was dead as a stick. I agree with Dogs on Wheels that the cold weather has a lot to do with it. I don't have a problem with the cold and actually like it, but unfortunately most people that live here do have a problem with it. Hopefully when Spring and baseball come back, downtown will really start to pick up again.

The winter is really affecting buisness. The problem is, people arent coming out to support any buisness's in the colder weather. It was like a ghost town out there today. It wasnt that cold.

Life goes on people. Get over it. Its a little cold. So.... wear an extra shirt and heavy coat.

Its funny, i see the people on the street that look like they are freezin. Its the idiots with no jacket and a thin shirt on.

I dont know how some of these buisness's are staying open . Its dead down there. People have to suck it up and get over the cold weather.

They have high rents and cant swing it in the winter. Thank God I dont have rent. I dont know how I would do it. Granted , I have a different operation, but I see the foot traffic on the street. Theres no one coming downtown walking around.

Speaking of business. How is your's going?

Hey Dogs On Wheels! Glad to see you're still "Alive" (pun on both your avatar as well as the fact that I've not seen you on in a while). Yes - business is sucking downtown during these cold days. I felt rather strange going into O-Cha over the weekend for a cold drink as cold as it was out (they do have hot drinks, too, but that's not what I go in there for). Of course, I was one of the idiots with no jacket and a thin long-sleeve t-shirt on, too...even though I wasn't freezing (thick blood). Yet, oddly, Falls Park was crowded over the weekend. Go figure. These people get out to Falls Park, but won't venture up Main Street? I can't explain it.

Hey Dogs On Wheels! Glad to see you're still "Alive" (pun on both your avatar as well as the fact that I've not seen you on in a while). Yes - business is sucking downtown during these cold days. I felt rather strange going into O-Cha over the weekend for a cold drink as cold as it was out (they do have hot drinks, too, but that's not what I go in there for). Of course, I was one of the idiots with no jacket and a thin long-sleeve t-shirt on, too...even though I wasn't freezing (thick blood). Yet, oddly, Falls Park was crowded over the weekend. Go figure. These people get out to Falls Park, but won't venture up Main Street? I can't explain it.

As has been stated here before, I think the answer is that there are no "destination" stores farther up Main. Mast is the closest thing we have, but it doesn't appeal to everyone. Hopefully, the Main @ Washington development as well as the City Hall Plaza development will address the need for a retail "draw" on this end of downtown. :thumbsup:

Seriously, unless you're out to walk around or perhaps eat at a restaurant farther up Main, why do you have a reason to walk that direction (especially when Falls Park is there)? Most people aren't exactly thrilled at the prospect of going to novelty/boutique stores, even if they are charming and interesting.

Besides the development at Main & Washington, Piazza Bergamo itself is another opportunity to add one of those "wow" destination elements to North Main to draw people that direction. Some interactive fountains during the summer...some ice skating during the winter....it could potentially be a great draw. It's just up to the city to capitalize on that potential. :whistling:

Regardless of whomever ultimately pays for it (city, state, developer, etc.), the point I was attempting to make was very quickly overlooked: It is an OPPORTUNITY to include a "WOW FACTOR" on North Main Street to provide more of a destination draw to that end for people that perhaps wouldn't otherwise go there.

Uhh... No, because that means I pay for it.

If you use it and enjoy it, you should have some form of investment in it. The fact is that if the state is serious about tourism in multiple places around the state, it will invest in attractions such as RT has mentioned. One thing to think about in this regard is that many of the tourism projects this state has been known for have been at the very least aided by our tax dollars. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of that money spent on one of the state's strongest tourism markets which happens to be here in the Upstate - Greenville. There is so much potential that has not been used yet, but the efforts by local leaders have proven that Greenville truly is a diamond in the rough for both tourism and quality living. It would be great to see some of the politicians in Columbia fully realize this as well and provide financial support for at least a few important attractions up here.

If you use it and enjoy it, you should have some form of investment in it. The fact is that if the state is serious about tourism in multiple places around the state, it will invest in attractions such as RT has mentioned. One thing to think about in this regard is that many of the tourism projects this state has been known for have been at the very least aided by our tax dollars. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of that money spent on one of the state's strongest tourism markets which happens to be here in the Upstate - Greenville. There is so much potential that has not been used yet, but the efforts by local leaders have proven that Greenville truly is a diamond in the rough for both tourism and quality living. It would be great to see some of the politicians in Columbia fully realize this as well and provide financial support for at least a few important attractions up here.

I was only kidding, whether some people took it that way or not, but Skyliner you do have a very good point!

I just received the following message on Facebook from the "SAVE OCHA!" group leader:

Welcome to clutch time ocha fans...yup the decision will be made at the end of this week to my knowledge whether to keep it open or not....its the biggest week of ochas life so lets all go this week...

Just thought those of you in Greenville who love Ocha would like to know. :thumbsup:

I also agree that this behavior should not be rewarded.

I took offense to the whole "if business doesn't pick up this month, we're out" philosophy. Almost like a threat. Perhaps they could have tried this back in November or December when lots of folks were downtown for the holidays - their location has an ideal view of Piazza Bergamo, and would have been great to watch the festivities from. Or perhaps they could have done it last fall when the weather was nice and people were out and about.

Oh, and I have to say that I think that bubble tea looks pretty creepy, anyway. I don't enjoy drinking liquids with opaque "floaters."

I didn't say I didn't think it was a good idea, and heck, I probably would have done it pretty much the same way if I were in there shoes. Doesn't mean that I have to like it.

So this place is more of a "bubble Tea" smoothie type place than an actual tea bar? I guess I was weird when I went an ordered some Japanese Green tea then? That stuff is pretty hard to find around here fresh.

So this place is more of a "bubble Tea" smoothie type place than an actual tea bar? I guess I was weird when I went an ordered some Japanese Green tea then? That stuff is pretty hard to find around here fresh.

I think that's a common misconception, really. Although they focus on bubble tea, yes, their menu goes beyond just that. My wife orders hot Chai Tea...ain't no stinkin' pearls in those. They even have coffee, although I've never tried it. A flickr friend of mine that recently relocated into the area from up north commented on one of my photos that O-Cha has the best vegeterian-friendly menu they've found in Greenville so far.