Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

These projects would look so nice on the beaman parking lots on West End. Too bad, traffic in Green hills is horrendous and these projects will only make it worse.

The only sure fire way to reduce traffic congestion is to build environments in which people can move about freely without having to rely on an automobile, and that is exactly what is being done in Green Hills.

The only sure fire way to reduce traffic congestion is to build environments in which people can move about freely without having to rely on an automobile, and that is exactly what is being done in Green Hills.

To my mind, part of the problem with Green Hills traffic is how so many of the roads near the mall T onto Hillsboro, so that everyone has to try to zoom over into a center lane, and then try to make a quick left in order to continue going east or west across that area. This is largely bad design, or lack of foresight on the part of Metro in not acquiring rights of way in order to to make better east-west connectivity in Green Hills.

Part of what would make Green Hills traffic better is precisely this kind of right-of-way acquisition in key areas. Yes, we might have to sacrifice a Chipotle or something, but the ease of traffic would only make the retail environment for Green Hills better, not worse. So theoretically, stores could get more customers because the customers could actually get there in a reasonable amount of time. There are very few stores/buildings in these right-of-way areas that I can think of that couldn't be demolished to make room for an effective street and then relocated to another area, with perhaps better car and foot traffic.

Having effective cross streets would make traffic better for cars, buses, bicycles, and even pedestrians.

• Like 1

To my mind, part of the problem with Green Hills traffic is how so many of the roads near the mall T onto Hillsboro, so that everyone has to try to zoom over into a center lane, and then try to make a quick left in order to continue going east or west across that area. This is largely bad design, or lack of foresight on the part of Metro in not acquiring rights of way in order to to make better east-west connectivity in Green Hills.

Part of what would make Green Hills traffic better is precisely this kind of right-of-way acquisition in key areas. Yes, we might have to sacrifice a Chipotle or something, but the ease of traffic would only make the retail environment for Green Hills better, not worse. So theoretically, stores could get more customers because the customers could actually get there in a reasonable amount of time. There are very few stores/buildings in these right-of-way areas that I can think of that couldn't be demolished to make room for an effective street and then relocated to another area, with perhaps better car and foot traffic.

Having effective cross streets would make traffic better for cars, buses, bicycles, and even pedestrians.

Very well said.

just a couple i snapped on my mobile phone while walking from the farmer's market to midtown liquors to home that caught my eye:

IMG_20121124_143852.jpg

IMG_20121124_151549.jpg

coming in from the west on church or charlotte is easily my favorite angle of viewing the skyline.

eric b

Edited by e-dub
  • Like 3

Nice shots, Ron. Looks like things are coming along pretty well on Hyatt Place.

And I like a lot of the 12th South (and other areas, like Germantown and EN) new single family construction. It's a far cry from some of the abominations that were put there from the mid century and beyond. This stuff really fits the neighborhood fabric well.

It looks like work is about to begin at the new commercial center at Lions Head Village on White Bridge Pike at the site of the old Calhouns. I don't know what retailers and restaurants will be included in the center, but I recall reading that there would be a couple of fast casual dining options. 

It looks like work is about to begin at the new commercial center at Lions Head Village on White Bridge Pike at the site of the old Calhouns. I don't know what retailers and restaurants will be included in the center, but I recall reading that there would be a couple of fast casual dining options. 

From what I have heard is that there is a Panera Bread and a Chipotle Grill planned in the building. There is also space for another small restaurant and two more retail slots available. I do not know how much is leased. Equipment has been on the site for a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

190679_896262171788_632959897_n.jpg

From a friend's facebook page.

It would be nice to see what it looks like a couple of years from now when (hopefully) WES, Hensler's tower, the Vision hotel on Division, and the residential project on Demonbreun are built. It's obvious to see the potential that lies in Midtown, The Gulch, and SoBro as far as building our up our core.

Now if we could only get Beaman to consolidate that lot...

429120_896261802528_430122273_n.jpg

I would love to see the density we see in the CBD expanded throughout the core...perhaps not as much in height as in just the built environment. Still, tons of surface parking that could eventually be developed.

3388_896261917298_410270843_n.jpg

Downtown & SoBro

Edited by UTgrad09
  • Like 2

190679_896262171788_632959897_n.jpg

From a friend's facebook page.

It would be nice to see what it looks like a couple of years from now when (hopefully) WES, Hensler's tower, the Vision hotel on Division, and the residential project on Demonbreun are built. It's obvious to see the potential that lies in Midtown, The Gulch, and SoBro as far as building our up our core.

Now if we could only get Beaman to consolidate that lot...

429120_896261802528_430122273_n.jpg

I would love to see the density we see in the CBD expanded throughout the core...perhaps not as much in height as in just the built environment. Still, tons of surface parking that could eventually be developed.

3388_896261917298_410270843_n.jpg

Downtown & SoBro

I can't wait to see what is developed in SoBro along KVB and the roundabout.  There is so much potential for a nice urban neighborhood with residential, shopping, and entertainment.  I hope the city gets this right. 

• Like 1

Ahh, that makes sense.  It lines up almost perfectly with 7th so I guess I just assumed that it was to connect the two.  Thanks for the clarification guys.

I recall seeing the original proposals, and one idea was for both streets to go under...but because of the elevation difference between 6th and 7th, the exhibition hall would have to be raised to accommodate the tunnel...and that would make the exhibition hall a little bit above 8th ave on the end, instead of nearly level. So basically, it would throw all of the levels/alignments off.

_MNP2978.jpg

7th is a good 12-15' higher than 6th.