Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I've been trying to absorb everything that is undergoing construction and I can't keep up. It isn't the Nashville I remember from years ago, things were "growing" but still pretty stagnant in terms of residential growth in the central area until the past few years.

I don't know if it has to do with the Plan of Nashville or other initiatives from a decade ago, but the city has truly become a serious boom town and I'm not sure I would have guessed all this to happen.

I'm a huge fan of modern architecture, and most of these buildings have a modern Euro design. I'm highly impressed.

Edited by BrandonTO416
  • Like 2

No private developments in significant and sustainable quantity will ever come along in the vicinity of the MCC. Any hope of SoBro becoming an in-town neighborhood is effectively dead with the construction of this fiscally moronic monstrosity.

It would be equally sensible to build a baseball stadium in the flood area. And while we're pulling out all the stops replicating urban planning's worst moves of the past 60 years, why don't we force a property tax generating, jobs-providing, good for the community and environment service--aka PSC--out of the county so the city can buy the land and let it sit vacant for decades. Genius. Nothing says "Don't tread on me!" and "We'll give government the boot!" like government forcing a private business to move (especially with nothing of higher, more valuable use coming down the pipeline) because it offends our aesthetic sensibilities. If the old facility is not up to current code, then they should cover the scrap heap with a roof and call it a day.

I don't know the fiscal situation behind MCC; however, PSC just isn't suited to operate that kind of business in the downtown area. Its a very industrial, very unsightly operation. What they do is good: recycling metals is a good thing, providing workers jobs is a great thing, and they hopefully will stay within Davidson County. However, given the current location and the flood of 3 years ago it would be wise to relocate them and provide some assistance.

• Like 2

I can't find the square footage for the whole building, but just to compare the exhibit floor space, the current one has 118,000 sq ft. The MCC will have 370,000 sq ft of exhibit floor space (214% increase).

I was just mentioning in another topic, considering the old convention center and the new one are only separated by one block, if they created a connection between them they could build a multiplex environment and consider it about 500,000 sq ft of exhibit space.

I was just mentioning in another topic, considering the old convention center and the new one are only separated by one block, if they created a connection between them they could build a multiplex environment and consider it about 500,000 sq ft of exhibit space.

If no solid proposals come through, that wouldn't be a bad idea....for the short term

There was a proposal for a "Medical Trade Center" that would have a 12 story addition (and looked somewhat cool)...but that fell through as the developer was not able to sign enough leased space to make it viable.

I believe Renaissance wants to keep the ballrooms of the current convention center, but there are plans for the site. With the arena humming along as one of the busiest venues in the world, I think having 120,000 sq ft sitting empty for the majority of the time would just be a waste of prime space. It's an ugly outdated building that is uninviting to walk past (mostly concrete wall).

I think the site needs to be utilized in a way that helps blend the intersection of ideals...Lower Broad is the entertainment district...5th Ave is being branded the Avenue of the Arts.

Edited by UTgrad09

On the subject of what is being done with the old convention center, this was in the NCP a few days ago, and I'm not exactly thrilled with it:

With Med Mart dead, deal gets Metro out of convention center

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/med-mart-dead-deal-gets-metro-out-convention-center

Edited by BnaBreaker

On the subject of what is being done with the old convention center, this was in the NCP a few days ago, and I'm not exactly thrilled with it:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/med-mart-dead-deal-gets-metro-out-convention-center

Again...that's just the ballrooms and meeting space. The exhibition space is still up in the air...and I image it will be redeveloped.

Oh, the comments always get me  :mellow:

Most people who comment on news clips aren't educated enough to form an opinion, and it clearly shows. The NCC deal does two things for Nashville's citizens:

1) The city is no longer financially required through the contract to operate two convention centers. So, the city won't have an empty, cash sapping NCC sitting next to an active MCC.

2) The new agreement forces, as mentioned before, the private party to install multi-million upgrades to its property and the old convention center itself through the new contract. The city isn't sapped with costs of renovating the old center.

I'd ignore the typical blowhard comments. As usual people don't know what they are talking about. I call it the aggressive ignorance movement, kind of like Sarah Palin. ;)

Most people who comment on news clips aren't educated enough to form an opinion, and it clearly shows. The NCC deal does two things for Nashville's citizens:

1) The city is no longer financially required through the contract to operate two convention centers. So, the city won't have an empty, cash sapping NCC sitting next to an active MCC.

2) The new agreement forces, as mentioned before, the private party to install multi-million upgrades to its property and the old convention center itself through the new contract. The city isn't sapped with costs of renovating the old center.

I'd ignore the typical blowhard comments. As usual people don't know what they are talking about. I call it the aggressive ignorance movement, kind of like Sarah Palin. ;)

Wow, offensive much, Brandon ? Talk about ignorant comments.

I used to work at the Tennessean and during a particularly nutty spell, we found that there were only about 10 people behind the nastiest comments on our site. They mainly just sniped at each other, and some of them maintained multiple screen names in hopes of intimidating their opponents. It was exasperating, but looking back I must admit that there is something of an art form in twisting a conversation about cupcake bakeries into a shouting match over immigration policy.

• Like 1

Jason, I have commended your comments in another post, so I hope you take this in the spirit intended. 

There are just as many ridiculous politicians on the left as there are on the right (OMG! I could give you a long list of the "ignorance movement" on the left), but please do not offend the conservatives on this board (remember, this is not New York where a majority of voters are from the proverbial left side of the aisle)... but seriously, is there any knock on Sarah Palin we haven't heard?  No defender of Palin, I am however a lawyer who also has two post graduate degrees in Business Admin. and Economics, and I have come by my conservative views by education (not ignorance).  I venture that you'll even find a bit more political diversity in the good ol' South than you will in New York (I have lived there).   Let's please try to be civil when we charge someone of differing beliefs with ignorance.  And by the way, I know for a fact that a couple of those commenters to which you refer are truly "yellow dogs" (that's what we call "blue dogs" in this part of the country). 

So I reiterate... welcome to the Nashville forum... and remember this isn't Buffalo.

• Like 1

Sarah Palin is kind of an idiot.  I mean, she just is.  I think we can all agree on that.  She's also just one person.  The belief that one person is an idiot is not mutually exclusive from the belief that there are a great many intelligent conservatives and a great many idiot liberals.  Right?  No harm done.  Nothing to take offense over. 

Also, just for the record, Brandon has probably been a member of urbanplanet's Nashville forum longer than the vast majority of us. 

Now, back on topic, thanks UTGrad for setting me straight on the convention center.  I completely missed the bit that you pointed out.  Really a net positive in the long run, I think.  As for the exhibition space, I'm still pulling for the House of Blues, myself.  I'm not usually a big fan of theme restaurants/bars, but if there was ever a perfect fit for one, it would be between the House of Blues and Music City. 

I also love that shot of fourth avenue.  There is a really great street wall being formed there.  Does anyone know what the tiny white building on the left side of the photo is, by chance?  I've never noticed it before.  It looks quite old, and I hope it remains a part of the neighborhood.

Edited by BnaBreaker

And so are Maxine Waters and Joe Biden. Do you see where this can go? Let's stop that now as it's unnecessary and doesn't require any real talent to beat up on Palin (whom I also find annoying) .

Brandon has been absent from this forum for some time, and as such, those of us who haven't had the pleasure now welcome him (myself included). I am always glad to welcome long-timers and newcomers alike with good contributions such as Brandon.

Just an aside... I have been a member since 2004, but didn't contribute to the forum for over 4 years, partly because I was living in Berlin, and partly because I did not like the moderator at the time.

Edited by MLBrumby

Now, back on topic, thanks UTGrad for setting me straight on the convention center.  I completely missed the bit that you pointed out.  Really a net positive in the long run, I think.  As for the exhibition space, I'm still pulling for the House of Blues, myself.  I'm not usually a big fan of theme restaurants/bars, but if there was ever a perfect fit for one, it would be between the House of Blues and Music City. 

I also love that shot of fourth avenue.  There is a really great street wall being formed there.  Does anyone know what the tiny white building on the left side of the photo is, by chance?  I've never noticed it before.  It looks quite old, and I hope it remains a part of the neighborhood.

I think House of Blues would be fine...but the exhibit space is, what, 118,000 square feet? I have to image there will be something else there...no? Another few things, really.

Whatever is developed, I hope they gut the place. I don't want to see any more of that solid concrete wall. I also hope that the Renaissance portion is revamped on the outside for at least a semi-updated look. Walking past it today, I just thought what a waste of streetfront that building is (I know a lot of convention centers are)...but Commerce Street in particular is bad.

As for the Germantown pic, the lil white house is City House.

Edited by UTgrad09

I think House of Blues would be fine...but the exhibit space is, what, 118,000 square feet? I have to image there will be something else there...no? Another few things, really.

Whatever is developed, I hope they gut the place. I don't want to see any more of that solid concrete wall. I also hope that the Renaissance portion is revamped on the outside for at least a semi-updated look. Walking past it today, I just thought what a waste of streetfront that building is (I know a lot of convention centers are)...but Commerce Street in particular is bad.

As for the Germantown pic, the lil white house is City House.

Very good point.  That's way too big a space for a single House of Blues, unless they included an abnormally large live music space. 

And so are Maxine Waters and Joe Biden. Do you see where this can go? Let's stop that now as it's unnecessary and doesn't require any real talent to beat up on Palin (whom I also find annoying) .

That's basically exactly the point I just made.  It should go without saying that idiocy is not exclusive to a particular political belief system, so it shouldn't cause offense when a single person is called out not for their political views, but for their proven idiocy, and a list of examples of other idiots from other groups shouldn't be required.  If I called Jake Locker an idiot I wouldn't be required to provide a list of guys from every other team in the AFC who are also idiots, out of the fear of offending someone.  lol 

Anyway, I'm taking us further off topic.  Sorry about that.  I just wanted to clarify what I said.  Let's just all relax. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

Jason, I have commended your comments in another post, so I hope you take this in the spirit intended. 

There are just as many ridiculous politicians on the left as there are on the right (OMG! I could give you a long list of the "ignorance movement" on the left), but please do not offend the conservatives on this board (remember, this is not New York where a majority of voters are from the proverbial left side of the aisle)... but seriously, is there any knock on Sarah Palin we haven't heard?  No defender of Palin, I am however a lawyer who also has two post graduate degrees in Business Admin. and Economics, and I have come by my conservative views by education (not ignorance).  I venture that you'll even find a bit more political diversity in the good ol' South than you will in New York (I have lived there).   Let's please try to be civil when we charge someone of differing beliefs with ignorance.  And by the way, I know for a fact that a couple of those commenters to which you refer are truly "yellow dogs" (that's what we call "blue dogs" in this part of the country). 

So I reiterate... welcome to the Nashville forum... and remember this isn't Buffalo.

I know that Nashville isn't Buffalo, I did grow up in Cookeville afterall, and know Tennessee very well. I'm in Buffalo for reasons really outside my control, I just happened to find a job here and it works for now after a tap dance across America where I lived in several other cities. I used to hate Buffalo and treated it like a backwater town to throw jokes at, but I've come to like the town. It actually is a nice place, there just isn't any population growth and its population is flat.

In so far as my comments, it is impossible to separate a discussion on city development without invoking politics, it just cannot be done. It is especially true when the topic is the funding of a convention center. Government and urban development go hand in hand, you can't sanitize it and be politically correct. At the same time I wasn't trying to invoke an entire discussion on politics, I was making fun of a lot of the people who post on news clips in the commentary section. I referenced Palin because she's a blowhard, even you admit as such. It wasn't meant to paint any one on here with a single stroke.

Liberal and conservative are the two most abused words in the American lexicon, so I wasn't trying to make a larger point other than the city got out of a pickle in regards to financing. I will pick one bone with you: there are not as many left wing nutbags at this juncture of American history as there are right wing nutbags. This is 2013, not 1965, and there is no comparison. That's one place where we just don't agree. Joe Biden may have a loud mouth, but he's intellectually above and beyond anything Palin ever could be. But again, its another discussion for another day. I didn't vote for either Democrats or Republicans in last year's election, so I don't really care. I rejected the two party system and placed my vote with a 3rd party.

I think its viable if the city wants to combine the MCC and the NCC into a single venue, but it does cost money. Now the city is off the hook and the hotel is picking up the tab. Sounds like a good financial deal to me.

Edited by BrandonTO416

Yes, please specifically stop with the politics or I will have to bust out the big stick.  I understand development does involve government to an extent, but this finger pointing crap and back and forth politics has to stop.  Please keep it relative to the thread topic.  Not this left wing, right wing, this person, that person, you this, you that crap!  We can police ourselves to an extent, but discussions like this can become way too heated and go overboard, which is why it is not allowed on the site.  As of now, it is getting a bit out of hand.  I am normally a laid back person and can let some things slide, but this has to stop now.

Thanks,

mgmt