Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

What is the actual sq ft difference between that one and the one in the old convention center?

I can't find the square footage for the whole building, but just to compare the exhibit floor space, the current one has 118,000 sq ft. The MCC will have 370,000 sq ft of exhibit floor space (214% increase).

Edited by UTgrad09
  • Like 1

I don't have a camera or even a decent camera phone, so I can't really take pictures, but I'd like to describe a view that I don't see captured all the time and encourage everyone to go check it out. One of my favorite views of Nashville when I bring visitors downtown is to cross the Shelby pedestrian bridge and rest in the Hall of Fame Park (in front of the Hilton facing Demonbreun). In my option, Hall of Fame park is really nicely landscaped and designed. If you look east, of course, you see the Schermerhorn and you look up the rise of the pedestrian bridge.

But if you look to the southwest, you see the CMHoF, with the radio towner/rotunda at the left and then the rise of the "1957 Chevy Fin" roof angle. That angle is met by the arc at the top of the Convention Center, like the crest of a wave. Then the arc of the wave descends down the Bridgestone arena and back out again onto Broadway with another rotunda/radio tower at the visitors center. The curve of the sidewalks in the Hall of Fame Park continue this sinuous theme and for a minute, the curviness almost makes you forget about the boxiness that can happen with street grids. It's a pretty cool contrast between the early 20th Century look to the east (Schermerhorn's Baux Arts Neoclassicism circa 1910 aesthetic and the 1909 Shelby Bridge's Industrial Revolution details) and the 21st Century look of our new buildings pushing to the South/West over what used to be primarily parking lots in the old Sobro.

To me, this view and this park conveys that Nashville is a forward looking city that does stay rooted in its past, and even returns to pay homage to the past from time to time (particularly the Schermerhorn), while remaining vital in the contemporary world and looking forward to a bright future.

• Like 1

"Whistle-Stop," it would appear that you do not need a camera. You have painted a beautiful picture with just your words! (and I agree that the Hall of Fame park is a beautiful spot in the city...just wish the corner of the park at 5th and Demonbreun had a large sculpture...there's a perfect spot for one already in place!)

You need to check this thread a little more Daniel. Just giving you a hard time. :silly: . I found a thumb nail on the Vision Website. Should be getting a media pack released in a couple of weeks or so on the Fairfield. I am now keeping a running list in word just to keep track of everything. Eight pages and counting right now and a few more coming. Averaging about one major announcement a week which is amazing. I will be very sad when it does slow down. This is just a ton of fun.

I will have to release an updated list very soon. Waiting on a couple of renderings first.

Counting all the small developments/ rehabs/ large projects/ etc. , there are over 40 construction projects going on that I can find and I am sure there are a few more I have not found. However, I do know the locations and have been to all the larger projects. Maybe we can do a little drive Saturday afternoon if we have time.