Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Looking at the all the space around Nissan Stadium, Metro should sell (or lease) the land to a major mall developer and have them building something similar to what is around the Patriots’ stadium in Foxboro. Given that 70,000 people come to the site 10 times a year (not including the Country Music Festival), I’d imagine it could be very enticing for an experienced company to be creative.

While there are some serious failures of similar developments (Like in New Jersey by MetLife Stadium), Nissan Stadium is much different. Nissan Stadium is as close to downtown as you can get, next to the river, more than enough parking, next to parks and other investments Metro wants to make (Ferris Wheel)…

No brainer in my opinion. Pray that it happens.

55 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Looking at the all the space around Nissan Stadium, Metro should sell (or lease) the land to a major mall developer and have them building something similar to what is around the Patriots’ stadium in Foxboro. Given that 70,000 people come to the site 10 times a year (not including the Country Music Festival), I’d imagine it could be very enticing for an experienced company to be creative.

While there are some serious failures of similar developments (Like in New Jersey by MetLife Stadium), Nissan Stadium is much different. Nissan Stadium is as close to downtown as you can get, next to the river, more than enough parking, next to parks and other investments Metro wants to make (Ferris Wheel)…

No brainer in my opinion. Pray that it happens.

The only issue is that that huge parking lot just to the east of the stadium is being left open to one day build the new stadium (possibly within the next 10 years or so).  Other than that land...I agree on all of the rest.  Do something with it other than just surface parking.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

We do not need to rebuild an entire new stadium from scratch. We have been investing in the current stadium over the past few years (new technology, new seats, new scoreboards). We should do what the Miami Dolphins did at Hard Rock Stadium and just renovate the current one. 

This. My NFL team of choice plays in a 60 year old stadium. Upgrades > new facility.

40 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

We do not need to rebuild an entire new stadium from scratch. We have been investing in the current stadium over the past few years (new technology, new seats, new scoreboards). We should do what the Miami Dolphins did at Hard Rock Stadium and just renovate the current one. 

Gotta agree with this. Also, in terms of stadiums being old, Nissan stadium is just a pup so why destroy it? It wouldn't be that difficult to add anything else to it. 

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Looking at the all the space around Nissan Stadium, Metro should sell (or lease) the land to a major mall developer

I agree 100% that a parking lot is not the best use of the land, but a mall? A mall for sure wouldn't capitalize on the potential tax revenue available at that location. 

As far as the comments regarding not needing to build a new stadium for the Titans...a few thoughts on that. 

1. Nissan Stadium is often referred to as the poor man's Gillette Stadium. Take that for what it's worth, but the Titans know that. Nissan doesn't stack up very high in comparison to other NFL stadiums. It's certainly not the worst, but there are a lot of things that could have been done differently and should be changed in the future. 

2. Owners are approving relocation left and right for what? New stadiums. If the Titans want a new stadium, then Metro had better be ready to pay for it. Improvements to Nissan won't do the trick and it won't be hard to relocate. Especially if a large market comes calling for a team. If Metro isn't that attached to the Titans, then by all means, renovate Nissan in 15 or so years. 

• Like 4

On 3/30/2017 at 7:07 AM, markhollin said:

TBT: Looking south from the old Farmer's Market, around 1980:

Farmer's Market around 1980.png

WOW!!!  What memories this picture brings back of walking through Farmer's Market with my mother and grandmother.  I think that's one of our neighbors driving through in that 1973 Buick Riviera... LOL

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arkitekte said:

I agree 100% that a parking lot is not the best use of the land, but a mall? A mall for sure wouldn't capitalize on the potential tax revenue available at that location. 

As far as the comments regarding not needing to build a new stadium for the Titans...a few thoughts on that. 

1. Nissan Stadium is often referred to as the poor man's Gillette Stadium. Take that for what it's worth, but the Titans know that. Nissan doesn't stack up very high in comparison to other NFL stadiums. It's certainly not the worst, but there are a lot of things that could have been done differently and should be changed in the future. 

2. Owners are approving relocation left and right for what? New stadiums. If the Titans want a new stadium, then Metro had better be ready to pay for it. Improvements to Nissan won't do the trick and it won't be hard to relocate. Especially if a large market comes calling for a team. If Metro isn't that attached to the Titans, then by all means, renovate Nissan in 15 or so years. 

Agree that relocations are because of new stadiums, but if the Titans ownership wants to remain in Nashville, they are the ultimate say of if substantial renovations to Nissan will work. Let's pray they will be ok with it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tim29tn said:

Gotta agree with this. Also, in terms of stadiums being old, Nissan stadium is just a pup so why destroy it? It wouldn't be that difficult to add anything else to it. 

The sad thing is with the relocations and other teams building new ones the Titans will have around the 12th oldest stadium of the 32 teams. And a few of those that are older have received substantial renovations such as New Orleans, Chicago,  and Miami. 

10 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

The sad thing is with the relocations and other teams building new ones the Titans will have around the 12th oldest stadium of the 32 teams. And a few of those that are older have received substantial renovations such as New Orleans, Chicago,  and Miami. 

So let's renovate ours. Add a roof and let's host the super bowl and Final Four

22 hours ago, Tim29tn said:

Except a retractable roof if we ever wanted a Superbowl.

58 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

RE:  the riverfront park picture, is the Lipscomb name in the background the same Lipscomb as the university?

Good question!  As an alumni, I have no clue.  I did find the answer here:

http://www.lipscomb.edu/now/filter/item/0/26247

David Lipscomb was one of the school's founder.  Horace Greely Lipscomb founded a hardware company, H. G. Lipscomb & Co.

• Like 1