Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

26 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I didn't realize they were taking down that many buildings.  For some reason, I was thinking it was just one building that would have to be destroyed.  Looks like several are gone.

Two full buildings and the backside of a third gone, so, essentially three buildings that had fronted the west side of the alley. They are going to rebuild them, but I can't imagine the alley ever having the funk and charm it once had.

• Like 1

As of this morning, the part of the one with the white roof is gone as well. They were very busy last evening!  They are planning at least to put the facade of that middle building back, but who knows what the Alley will look like, I've not seen any drawings for that side of the buildings.

That "aerial" from the roof of Woolworth's reminds me of the town scene in Back to The Future. I think that diagonal "head in" parking at the curb would be extremely annoying though with the rear ends of the cars extended into the street. Interesteringly, Chattanooga converted a lot of their curbside (parallel) spots into diagonal "back in" spaces (angled backwards) along Broad a few years ago. Seems to work fine.  Always struck by the dirty appearance of the cars back then... even new ones.  People just didn't wash their cars like today. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1