Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The large red building is AT&T, which I think is obsolete now.

I thought that big red bunker of a building on 2nd Avenue was still the functional central switching building for telecommunications in our area. The phone companies have these structures all over the country and they are built to be able to withstand most natural disasters. I'm posting a link to an old page with some info. I suspect that in a post 9-11 world they would keep mum on important communication centers nowadays. (All this might have changed, but I thought that the building is still there because it NEEDS to be there!)

http://www.thecentraloffice.com/tennessee/nashville tandem/nsvltandem.htm

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I had just heard it was obsolete on here and they didn't need much of the building. Either way, it screams paint me with a Purrdy mural. 

The internet comes out of the ground there. It would be a wise decision to leave that building alone .........

• Like 2

While some of us here are older than I (yes actually), I saw my first concert in July or August '64, when the joint was half-way still new.  It was Dick Clark and his Caravan of Stars, many of whom no longer are even around anymore.  Many if not most of those, most members haven't even heard of.  Gene Pitney, The Dixie Cups, The Supremes, Bobby Darin ─ just a whole bus, just chock-full of 'em.  Indeed, it had been the main indoor venue back then, or course, along with the smaller Hippodrome on West End.  The post-bill listing shown for Omaha was similar to the line-up in Nashville during that period.  One artist not listed but present was Del Shannon, a very popular then-co-contemporary.

DickClarkCaravanOmaha64.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Nashville Ballet did a "dancing in the streets" photo shoot recently and included a couple of Municipal Auditorium pics in their Facebook posting. The new ticket stub decor makes a nice backdrop!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is like when I was at UT (Fall 2005-Spring 2009) I saved nearly every student football ticket for games I went to.

UT.jpg

• Like 4