Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

47 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Screenshot_20230911-061129.thumb.png.c24f8a2db7c0f3cd1a2c90ffc7bd7364.png

Airport traffic is backed out onto the interstate at 5:00AM on a Monday. This is insane.

What's insane is that people don't realize, despite TDOT's signage, that they can skip right by that exit and access BNA at the very next exit, Donelson Pike.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

What's insane is that people don't realize, despite TDOT's signage, that they can skip right by that exit and access BNA at the very next exit, Donelson Pike.

Got a new slogan for them, no charge if they want to use it, "TDOT: Actively Making Things Worse."

BNA was not included in Lufthansa’s announcements of new US destinations. Raleigh/Durham and Minneapolis were selected instead.  RDU now has 4 nonstops to Europe,  American to London Heathrow, Delta/ Air France to Paris CDG, Icelandair to Keflavik, and Lufthansa. Frankfurt.   This is a big blow to the management and board of BNA just prior to the opening of the BNA International Arrivals facilities.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Nothingspectacular said:

BNA was not included in Lufthansa’s announcements of new US destinations. Raleigh/Durham and Minneapolis were selected instead.  RDU now has 4 nonstops to Europe,  American to London Heathrow, Delta/ Air France to Paris CDG, Icelandair to Keflavik, and Lufthansa. Frankfurt.   This is a big blow to the management and board of BNA just prior to the opening of the BNA International Arrivals facilities.  

I could be mistaken, but it seems I recall that one reason Raleigh/Durham has some of these international destinations is that there are heavy subsidies provided to secure the routes. Anyone recall any details, or am I completely wrong here?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I could be mistaken, but it seems I recall that one reason Raleigh/Durham has some of these international destinations is that there are heavy subsidies provided to secure the routes. Anyone recall any details, or am I completely wrong here?

That has to be the case, right?  I mean, no offense to Raleigh, but I can't imagine there are a lot of French and German people chomping at the bit to come vacation there.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I think BNA has tried to lure new flights without having to subsidize them with incentives.

This is what happens when the MNAA stalls with building their international arrivals building, international airlines won’t come. 

Originally the IAB was supposed to be completed this spring and if that happened I believe we would have seen another airline come in by now. Maybe next year that will happen. I do not believe Raleigh has the passengers to support all of these flights and I think eventually one will fold personally. 

Thankfully I live in a place now (London) where I don’t have to worry about lack of direct routes to anywhere. I quite frankly couldn’t live in Nashville due to the nature of what I’m studying, and I haven’t lived in Nashville since 2016 (I went from Shanghai to New York to Miami to London). This is why having a well connected airport is important.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SoundScan said:

Tourism is not enough, you need business travelers. Business travelers buy more expensive fares and large corps negotiate/commit to seat blocks on routes. RDU has a significant footprint of companies with operations in Europe.

This is correct. The route will have more business class seats as the one servicing Minneapolis.  You'll also have to consider that Raleigh/Durham has one of the largest Indian communities on the East Coast and demand for routes with connections to India are in great demand.

Aircraft: A330-300 

Seats: 255 total (42 Business, 28 Premium Economy, 185 Economy) 

The Minneapolis flight will use the 787

28 in business class, 28 in premium economy, and 231 in economy class

• Like 4