Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

56 minutes ago, Digital Dust said:

Ah, thank you Sean! That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Didn't realize they had plans for another I40 interchange, or at least that's what it looks like.

The relocation/extension of Harding place to Elm Hill Pike and a new I-40 interchange has been part of a long term plan for several years now.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Would the elimination of the cross-runway effectively eliminate the FAA restrictions against supertalls downtown?  And that would still leave 4 runways; would that be enough for a 75m passenger airport? 

A concern is to whether removing the cross-runway would risk more weather related delays in the event where a cross-runway would allow them to proceed with operations. I don’t really know for sure, I’m just sure there has to be some benefit to having runways go different directions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Not necessarily. With the new terminal garage being set up for a APM on top of the garage, I don't see the grades working out to go from the top down to below grade. I am typically not a fan of elevated transit, but I would think an elevated APM could work very well at the airport and provide easy visibility for visiting guests. LAX's APM is completely above grade and they have seemingly done a good job connecting the terminals there. We will know more once it comes online. Atlanta's airport has a solid underground line so it is definitely feasible.

Who knows what things will cost in 10 years (probably not cheaper unfortunately), so it is possible. I just wouldn't have that as my expectation. 

To me concept 1 is just too cramped for a new terminal to be effective and expandable. Concept 2 makes the most sense of the two, but the logistics of relocating all of those entities seems like an absolute nightmare and would cost so much.

This is the most solid option to me as well. I don't think FedEx/Amazon could fit their volume into the Cargo terminal per say, but I think a new terminal could be built for them in the red outlined area below. Build that, then build the new terminal in the blue outlined area. All of this land is already owned by BNA. Also having this along Briley Parkway makes for pretty easy in and out to I-40 and I-24. 

image.thumb.png.bfeb5c7ffd157b0b89cf93fc1747b97d.png

Then (in the next 20 year cycle), BNA could work on acquiring these parcels for future terminal expansion

image.thumb.png.8329bcb053e774f9819987cb13f8dd2f.png

Ultimately, I think the airport could then be re-configured. The yellow outline could turn into an international hub and the blue outline could be a domestic hub. The red outline would be primarily FedEx/Amazon, but if we got to this size the traditional air cargo facility would presumably have to be relocated and enlarged.

image.thumb.png.28e4b6e483f80b99431a0bc5aecbd30e.png

I always have felt like United would have a good southeastern hub in Nashville. Yes Houston is somewhat close by but maybe Nashville could act as a reliever to it. I recently went through Denver and that was a very large and growing United hub and I could see Nashville ending up in a similar way down the road.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

I always have felt like United would have a good southeastern hub in Nashville. Yes Houston is somewhat close by but maybe Nashville could act as a reliever to it. I recently went through Denver and that was a very large and growing United hub and I could see Nashville ending up in a similar way down the road.

Incorrect. No way BNA will never ever come close to the enormous hub United has in Denver.  United has done fine without a southeastern US hub and has no plans to establish one. With Washington Dulles, Chicago OHare, and Houston surrounding the region there is absolutely no need for one.  BNA could not physically support it as it is already pretty much at capacity even with the new IAB and the concourse additions and renovations.  

2 hours ago, Nothingspectacular said:

Incorrect. No way BNA will never ever come close to the enormous hub United has in Denver.  United has done fine without a southeastern US hub and has no plans to establish one. With Washington Dulles, Chicago OHare, and Houston surrounding the region there is absolutely no need for one.  BNA could not physically support it as it is already pretty much at capacity even with the new IAB and the concourse additions and renovations.  

Don’t ever say never , things can change 

• Like 1