210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

It almost was demolished by participants. As I recall, some time in the 80's there was a large Mary Kay Cosmetics convention held there. The main feature was a large dance on an upper level. They were all in a group doing the Bunny Hop, or something, and the concrete floor was deflecting seriously. The activity had to be suspended and engineers called who determined the structure was not designed for such a load. Really. I mean, a convention center. Obsolete by design.

Actually that happened at our current Convention Center with the Mary Kay convention upstairs in the Ballroom and another convention in the main exhibit hall space where you take the escalators down to.

Edited by uptownliving

Actually that happened at our current Convention Center with the Mary Kay convention upstairs in the Ballroom and another convention in the main exhibit hall space where you take the escalators down to.

This article mentions the Mary Kay Bunny Hop, and bits of insulation floating down on the Amway convention below.  It says 1995, which I believe is the year it opened.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/05/04/focus1.html

It almost was demolished by participants. As I recall, some time in the 80's there was a large Mary Kay Cosmetics convention held there. The main feature was a large dance on an upper level. They were all in a group doing the Bunny Hop, or something, and the concrete floor was deflecting seriously. The activity had to be suspended and engineers called who determined the structure was not designed for such a load. Really. I mean, a convention center. Obsolete by design.

That was the new (existing) convention center in the mid-90s. The bunny hopping Mary Kay-ers caused the spray foam fire retardant on the ceiling of the main convention floor beneath the ballroom to flake off.  BTW,  the old Civic Center was imploded by Ghazi in 2005. Those kick-ass pyramids stayed completely intact.

Edited by Miesian Corners
poor syntax; grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder the odds of this hotel getting taller. The infrastructure is there, the parking is there, beside other hotels, beside the Hornets arena.

I'd like to see this hotel be 35+ floors (including the epicenter portion). Convention center business is down but the arena is fueling hotel rates & occupancy to their highest levels.

fantasy: 42 floor JW

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I wonder the odds of this hotel getting taller. The infrastructure is there, the parking is there, beside other hotels, beside the Hornets arena.

I'd like to see this hotel be 35+ floors (including the epicenter portion). Convention center business is down but the arena is fueling hotel rates & occupancy to their highest levels.

fantasy: 42 floor JW

while I'd give anything for a 42 floor JW to happen it's not going to :(

we should get final plans for this project in the next few weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lot of money. What are they going to do?

Actually its not too tremendous an amount. Its about what I'd expect from a 17 floor building being built on a 5 story podium. I'd expect them to spend about 50M total.