UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

The chicken and waffles thing sounds very unappealing to me, but one of my best friends lives in Los Angeles and has raved about a chain there called Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. I think the concept of combining the two originally started in Harlem as "soul food" and was later introduced in Hollywood. Interesting...

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Gladys Knight opened a chicken and waffles place in Atlanta several years back. Been there a few times. Good stuff.

Any idea when the place in West End will open?

I was coming here to mention that. Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles owned by Gladys Knight and Ron Winans. As many times as I've been there I don't think I've ever actually ordered the chicken and waffles but the other food has been excellent. When my wife got home yesterday I told her that Greenville was finally getting a Chicken & Waffles place I'll definitely check it out when it opens.

Did anyone else notice the advertisement for a new Main Street restaurant in the current edition of Greenville Journal? It is called, "SKY," and says, "North American Cuisine, North Main Destination, Winter 2008." Sounds intriguing. Does anyone have more details, including the exact location? :)

_MG_2566.jpg

I was coming here to mention that. Gladys & Ron's Chicken & Waffles owned by Gladys Knight and Ron Winans. As many times as I've been there I don't think I've ever actually ordered the chicken and waffles but the other food has been excellent. When my wife got home yesterday I told her that Greenville was finally getting a Chicken & Waffles place I'll definitely check it out when it opens.

The food is excellent there. Definitely get the chicken and waffles next time, and eat bites of both together with the syrup they serve. Heaven. YUMMMM. :)

Pollo Campero is officially open. First location in SC and the 47th location in ths US.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...NEWS01/81218012

Having moved here from LA a couple of years ago I was shocked that this place is opening here. It was always in the much poorer ,more ghetto areas of Los Angeles, kinda like a poor mans version of El Pollo Loco.

Having moved here from LA a couple of years ago I was shocked that this place is opening here. It was always in the much poorer ,more ghetto areas of Los Angeles, kinda like a poor mans version of El Pollo Loco.

Only their speciality at Pollo Campero is fried chicken and El Pollo Loco's is Flame-grilled chicken.

I was really quite surprised to see this open last night when I drove by. I was just at Staples earlier in the week and they still had plastic sheeting up all around the outside of the place and looked as though they were at least a couple of weeks away from being finished with the place. I may have to check it out for breakfast.

Chef Rodney of Restaurant O was in Mast General today signing the Soby Cookbook. Chatted with him for a bit and really getting excited about the future revamp of Restaurant O (whatever they end up calling it). Without spilling all the beans, he said it would be much less formal, but still forward thinking and standard setting. Both floors will probably be bar and restaurant (instead of the current separation by floor). He said the interior would be much brighter. The menu (without exposing too much) he said would be designed to be less formal as well. He said the menu will be unique and will not fall back on any of the current over-exposed (tired) trends like gourmet sliders, etc. He said it will be a standout in Greenville and gave props to the stiff competition (American Grocery, Azia, High Cotton, etc, etc). Will be open for both lunch and dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on how the chicken and waffles place is?

Yeah...... :sick::sick: Doesn't meet the Downtown / West End expectation IMO.

We stayed maybe 5 minutes and left. Didn't even try the food. But really, this place probably isn't about food.....it is pretty much a bar (meat market type) mascarading as a restaurant. The bar takes up most of the space. When we entered, some sketchy looking guy in a pimp suit grunted at us. We asked what he said, he grunted again, so we figured we should go sit anywhere. Two customers in the place....both were girls that must have needed a break from working the street. The lone server/bartender was on their cell phone with some problem and didn't care that there were customers in the place. The interior is D level at best. We got up and left....went to Rio and had a fun evening.

This is my sanitized version of the place. Want to know more, send me a pm.

Thanks. PM sent. There is nothing wrong with having a back up plan, especially if its Rio Grill. On newsradioword.com starting tomorrow on their deals page, Rio has 50.00 gift cards for 25.00. Good deal, I usually get a couple when they have them.

Thanks. PM sent. There is nothing wrong with having a back up plan, especially if its Rio Grill. On newsradioword.com starting tomorrow on their deals page, Rio has 50.00 gift cards for 25.00. Good deal, I usually get a couple when they have them.

Thanks for the tip about the coupons for Rio. :thumbsup:

Love that place. Such a well run place. Great food, great drinks, clean, great service! It's never very busy when we are there...I really want to see Rio be successful. I believe it is only one of two Brazillian steakhouses in South Carolina (the other in Myrtle Beach).

Archived