UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wade Hampton in Taylors. It's in the same little shopping center as Mr. Salsa. I love the concept in theory and my wife and I actually stopped by on the 4th but they were closed early for the holiday; however $4 for a cupcake, in this economy, in that area? I give her 6 months. I hope I'm wrong.

http://www.upstatecupcake.com/

I would give it 6 months even in a good economy. There isn't enough demand for cupcakes to warrant an entire store devoted exclusively to them. Too narrow...especially for the 'burbs.

I would give it 6 months even in a good economy. There isn't enough demand for cupcakes to warrant an entire store devoted exclusively to them. Too narrow...especially for the 'burbs.

I took my wife there in June for her birthday. We had passed it several times before on our way to Target and/or Mythos, but it was always closed. I'll admit, $3 bucks for a cupcake is steep, but my wife reminded me that it's cheaper than a gallon of gas! I have to honestly say it's the best cupcake I've ever had and if you saw me you could tell I've eaten one or two in my day. I had a cappuccino cup cake and it was ridiculously moist with a very tasty topping. I plan to go back but I do fear for their longevity. The owner sat with us for a while and we talked about the business model, etc. She was a real nice lady who has another full-time gig but felt driven to do the cupcake business. I'm all about supporting locally owned restaurants so I would urge you to at least give them a try if you're passing by. And, no, I'm not affiliated in any way.

I have to honestly say it's the best cupcake I've ever had and if you saw me you could tell I've eaten one or two in my day. I had a cappuccino cup cake and it was ridiculously moist with a very tasty topping.

Interesting, I usually revert to my childhood and lick the icing off cupcakes and either toss the cake part in the trash or at least "endure" the cake part if I am eating one at an event. Yes, I know that is immature but most cupcakes I have tasted have been nothing to write home about and because of that I have be reluctant to pay for a good one. Maybe they should diversify and sell some a line of "frosting glops." :whistling:

I'm more of a brownie/cookie man myself and also prefer pies to cakes.

Wasn't there one before? Jerry's curbside or something? iirc it did not last very long

Jerry's had a grand opening and grand closing all at the same time. With good reason as I recall. It was some of the nastiest roadfood I've ever had. I had a burger that was still cold in the center. I sent it back and the same burger came back slightly more done. I believe they only lasted a few weeks.

Now, Midtown Deli is a different story entirely. They have really good breakfast and usually not but a small handful of people in there any given morning. The group that owns Midtown also owns Flat Rock and Blue Fire and normally does quite well. They had a false start with Pinky's, however, which was in the old Bob Evans location at the Point. I never made it out there although my office was very close at the time.

Wasn't there one before? Jerry's curbside or something? iirc it did not last very long

Not where Jerry's Curb Service was located. This is being built on the same side of Woodruff as Midtown Deli.....across the little side road that goes to the Holiday Inn Express. I've seen this going up. Looks too small for anything like a Sonic. I'm thinking this may be someone new coming to town.

Not where Jerry's Curb Service was located. This is being built on the same side of Woodruff as Midtown Deli.....across the little side road that goes to the Holiday Inn Express. I've seen this going up. Looks too small for anything like a Sonic. I'm thinking this may be someone new coming to town.

It's going to be a Krystal. Building permit was filed a few months ago for it.

Remember, probably only 1/3 of the sales are made from the walk-in retail customer......the rest is made from catering, parties, etc. Traditional bakery strengths. I like that she is doing this concept. I always stop in Sprinkles when in Dallas and get one Banana Chocolate cupcake. The idea has done well in other cities.....Greenville should be able to support it.

I do agree with you Greenville.....burbs aren't the right place.....this should have been downtown.

But in talking about price, what is the difference in a 4 dollar cupcake here and a 4 dollar latte at Starbucks? No difference, and we all spend on coffee.

It's going to be a Krystal.

Good to know. :thumbsup: Love Krystal.

Don't quite understand why they leave a city only to return a year later........

At least the Krystal will have better access being on a corner with a traffic signal. That is one thing that hurt Jerry's Curb Service. You could only get to it from one direction on Woodruff Rd. I've never seen a business fail so spectacularly. :(

At least the Krystal will have better access being on a corner with a traffic signal. That is one thing that hurt Jerry's Curb Service. You could only get to it from one direction on Woodruff Rd. I've never seen a business fail so spectacularly. :(

Not really about the restaurants, so probably not the right thread, but your point about access made me think......there are three roads that turn off Woodruff between Verdae and I-85, yet none of the three go through to Verdae. There is the one by this new Krystal, the one by the General Nutrition factory and the one between Target / Home Depot. Anyone know if Verdae (or the city) plans to connect these roads to Verdae? Would certainly help relieve Woodruff traffic.

Wild. Just looked at them.

Do you think these have anything to do with future Verdae development? :dontknow:

This is from September last year. It should help answer your question:

AX 08-2007. Applicant: Verdae Development; Property Owner: Hollingsworth Funds, Inc.; Subject Property Address: Between end of Ketron Court and Verdae Blvd. TMS# 0545010102508; Nature of Request: The applicant requests to annex approximately 7.95 acres of land located at the end of Ketron Court and to zone the property S-1, Service, District.

Rhys Kear presented the staff report and recommendation for approval. Attorney Mark Holmes represented the applicant and presented the information for the application. He stated that this is part of the Verdae Master Plan and it is expected to be developed for single-family residential use with primary access via Verdae Blvd. No one else spoke in support of, or in opposition to, the application.

Remember, probably only 1/3 of the sales are made from the walk-in retail customer......the rest is made from catering, parties, etc. Traditional bakery strengths. I like that she is doing this concept. I always stop in Sprinkles when in Dallas and get one Banana Chocolate cupcake. The idea has done well in other cities.....Greenville should be able to support it.

I do agree with you Greenville.....burbs aren't the right place.....this should have been downtown.

Great point about catering and parties. If they can get in on that business, they can do quite well even without a lot of walk-in customers. I hope they are successful, especially since it sounds like the owner has a passion for it. :)

I went to try the new Rising Roll Gourmet sandwich shop for dinner the other day and was surprised to see they closed at 4:00. I went back today for lunch and had a good sandwich there. They seems to have quite a number of items I'd like to try.

Stopped by the new Spill the Beans and Roger Curtis told me they are still hoping to open mid August. Besides some electrical and plumbing, he and his son are doing all of the work themselves! The conference room in the back has a rough hewn rock wall and a custom shaped door. I believe this space can be used for free for people who want meetings. The counters are all poured concrete and the floor is a stained concrete. It's going to be nice. I might be having a book-signing there for my new Greenville book when it opens (BTW, I have one at Barnes and Noble on Haywood at 11 this Sat.).

They confirmed to me that Munchies closed. They were surprised by it too. He also mentioned that the gathering of large amounts of ethnic groups the last 3 weekends has brought business down and has business owners worried. No one seems to know why they are continuing to gather there in such large numbers.

He also mentioned that the gathering of large amounts of ethnic groups the last 3 weekends has brought business down and has business owners worried. No one seems to know why they are continuing to gather there in such large numbers.

Just to clarify, the problem is not the "gathering of large amounts of ethnic groups" but rather the fighting and dangerous environment those gatherings have resulted in. Ethnic groups on their own do not deter business, and in Greenville's case they certainly help it. :)

But in talking about price, what is the difference in a 4 dollar cupcake here and a 4 dollar latte at Starbucks? No difference, and we all spend on coffee.

Good to know. :thumbsup: Love Krystal.

Don't quite understand why they leave a city only to return a year later........

Well, you answered your own question, oddly enough you came to the correct answer but the wrong conclusion. Coffee is a billion dollar industry and, right, wrong or indifferent, Starbucks is as much a part of society, pop culture, et al. as Mickey Dees and Disney. Cupcakes are such a niche market, you're never going to see a bunch of people in such diverse demographics as 14 year olds, soccer moms, punk rockers, gay couples, church goers, etc meet up at the local Cakebucks" for a $4 caramel apple cupcake. It reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld, I think it was; where one of the characters invested a lot of money in a popcorn cafe becuase they thought it was going to be the next, "coffee". lol Trust me, as an advocte of creative entrepreunership, I wish her much success. As one who's pretty good at guaging trends and the ability of success. I give her 6 months.

... Besides some electrical and plumbing, he and his son are doing all of the work themselves! The conference room in the back has a rough hewn rock wall and a custom shaped door. I believe this space can be used for free for people who want meetings. The counters are all poured concrete and the floor is a stained concrete. It's going to be nice. I might be having a book-signing there for my new Greenville book when it opens (BTW, I have one at Barnes and Noble on Haywood at 11 this Sat.) ...
He was a construction teacher at BJU before the STB endeavor.

They confirmed to me that Munchies closed. They were surprised by it too. He also mentioned that the gathering of large amounts of ethnic groups the last 3 weekends has brought business down and has business owners worried. No one seems to know why they are continuing to gather there in such large numbers.
I wonder why everyone is afraid to come out and call it a "large group of black kids." I haven't seen a white, hispanic, or asian group swarming above Falls Park in the past few weeks, but I have seen a very large group of black kids "loitering" in that same place more than once recently. Regardless of whether or not illegal activity has occurred as a result, this is obviously an uncomfortable deterrent for families who enjoy coming downtown for a memorable evening together. It is disappointing and something should be done pronto. But what can be done to ease the tension without upsetting the diverse and enjoyable public atmosphere?

Well, you answered your own question, oddly enough you came to the correct answer but the wrong conclusion. Coffee is a billion dollar industry and, right, wrong or indifferent, Starbucks is as much a part of society, pop culture, et al. as Mickey Dees and Disney. Cupcakes are such a niche market, you're never going to see a bunch of people in such diverse demographics as 14 year olds, soccer moms, punk rockers, gay couples, church goers, etc meet up at the local Cakebucks" for a $4 caramel apple cupcake. It reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld, I think it was; where one of the characters invested a lot of money in a popcorn cafe becuase they thought it was going to be the next, "coffee". lol Trust me, as an advocte of creative entrepreunership, I wish her much success. As one who's pretty good at guaging trends and the ability of success. I give her 6 months.

There is a market for it. These stores are on fire in other cities. We'll see if Greenville can support it.

As a marketing professional, I think it's a great idea.

The Sprinkles I frequent in Dallas does draw the diversity........me, a gay businesman, soccer moms from Highland Park and the North Tollway burbs, club kids from the Cedar Springs area, SMU Sorority girls who are size 0 (they buy one as a guilty pleasure, eat it, and then use their finger to dispose of it, if you get my meaning), church goers, party planners. I know lots of business people who have these boxed at the holidays (the packaging is slick) and sent by the 100's to their clients as a holiday happy.

Sprinkles is expanding rapidly and becoming a national chain. They may be the next "Starbucks".

http://www.sprinklescupcakes.com/ What Sprinkles did was turn buying a sweet little precious item like a cupcake, into a fashionable thing. They "Prada-ized" the cupcake as one of my friends says and their image and marketing are half the draw.

The market does indeed exist. Will our version make it? I sure hope so. I give this local entreprenuer an A plus for recognizing a hot trend and jumping on it. :thumbsup: I do wish the local store were a bit more slick and contemporary. Our local version may be too conservative and safe to draw the urban contemporary crowd this kind of store needs to survive. I do agree the location is wrong. We'll see.

Archived