UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read a good article in GSA Business about wine bars in Greenville. It mostly focused on the newly-opened Stellar Wine Bar downtown (in the old O-CHA location). It seems to be doing very well. I certainly hope to check it out soon.

The article also discussed The Grape being blocked from the RiverPlace development. I still don't understand why there is zoning that prevents bars from opening in the CBD. Even though wine bars are no longer classified as "bars" (and thus exempt from the zoning), it is understandable why The Grape had a bad taste in their mouth. I hope they will be a part of Magnolia Park.

http://www.gsabusiness.com/index.php?optio...3&Itemid=54

Thoughts?

Thanks for the link, Greenville.

How can other establishments, that I would classify as bars, exist downtown? (Dixie's, Two Twenty One, etc) Sure, they serve food, but not all of them would I say do a 'great' food business...

I'm not sure how it works either. I assume this was the same thing that prevented Jillian's from locating downtown a few years ago.

This isnt a new place, but the Lazy Goat opened for lunch last week. The wife and I were very impressed. The menu is not very large but everything that we ordered from it was delicious, served quickly and was of a decent portion size (I'd almost say large). Very reasonable prices as well averaging $10 a plate including side. We had been holding off trying them due to word of mouth that the portions were tiny and overpriced, I can tell you that is not true of the lunch menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Davani's opening soon in McDaniel Village on Augusta:

IMG_0387.jpg

I stopped by the other day, and went inside. It looks very nice inside, once in the door, there is a small area with booths that leads to a long bar, on the right side there is a long section with nicely appointed tables. Definitely seemed italian but I was not able to take a peek at a menu.

I also found out that they are opening this coming Monday.

I stopped by the other day, and went inside. It looks very nice inside, once in the door, there is a small area with booths that leads to a long bar, on the right side there is a long section with nicely appointed tables. Definitely seemed italian but I was not able to take a peek at a menu.

I also found out that they are opening this coming Monday.

Thanks for the opening date. :thumbsup: Might have to plan an Italian night next week.

The Rising Roll opened on Main St. They have a nice assortment of sandwiches and breakfast with an empahsis on the type of bread they use to differentiate them from other places.

About 9 or 10 dollars for a sandwich, small side and drink similar to Camille's prices and Two Chef's for that matter. While good overall, like Camille's, because of the high price, I will most likely eat at Two Chef's when I am craving a ten dollar sandwich lunch.

I hope that they do well though and I am happy to have another place filling an empy space downtown.

Heidi Aiken filed something about their sign (I believe). I believe it's an appeal to one of the City's committees... Anyone know what that's about?

Hadn't heard that, but not shocked. Heidi is always b**ching about something.

I will say, their sign is rather large. Not sure how this one got approved.

Heidi Aiken filed something about their sign (I believe). I believe it's an appeal to one of the City's committees... Anyone know what that's about?

It's an appeal to the DPC. I imagine they approved the sign and she feels it doesn't fit in with the rest of downtown. i.e. no shingle sign.

Who made Heidi Aiken the spokesperson for all things Greenville? I am so tired of her whining. I remember how outspoken she was about keeping the grassy spot at Piazza Bergamo, and wondered whether she was aware that there are far more important issues to be using her "celebrity" on. :rolleyes:

She lives in an upstairs condo across the street, so perhaps she has a problem with the sign being lit after dark? :dontknow: Personally, I would have though that any business would prefer a nice shingle sign on Main Street over this kind of large letter wall sign. I am not opposed tp the current sign, but the City ought to consider creating a standard requirement that street-level businesses must have a shingle sign.

Anyone else heard that Dunkin' Donuts might not be moving in anytime soon? I heard a rumor that there are serious sewage/mold/health issues with the former Loose Lucy's building and that a LOT of work needs to be done to fix all the problems.

Unfortunately it's not a rumor. It's become a very messy situation: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25611419/

Well that kinda sucks. How hard is it to clean up something like that and how long would it take?

:ph34r: Something like this can be very expensive to clean up unfortunately. It could take a while to clean it up too. Probably a month or two. Sounds like a bad situation that is only getting worse. It doesn't help that the two sides can't reach an agreement of who's at fault. I personally think it's the landlord's responsibility to clean it up and not the tenants. I wouldn't pay rent either if I had a business located there with this going on.

The Mrs and I ate at Davani's this evening. This week is their "soft opening." It is more continental than italian in the "Olive Garden" sense. Also, do not expect it to be simple and cafe/sandwich shop like because of its location in a strip mall. THis place is very nice and its ambiance, menu and level of service rival any, and I am including Soby's, Rick Erwin's, High Cotton, and O (not Devereux) restaurant downtown. This is what the Augusta Grill should have over time renovated to be up to this par. Augusta Road really needed this addition as it has returned some class to this once prestigious but declining thoroughfare.

The menu was excellent, mussels, beef carpaccio, escargo, shellfish fra diavalo, beef tournados with asparagus, lobster and hollandaise, veal oscar, veal picatta, NY strip steak, sea bass, salmon, espresso, home made cheese cake with fresh black berries grown and picked from one of the waitstaff's gardens, are just a small sampling of what is offered. Expect to pay about 28 dollars per entre. The food was delicious, cooked to perfection, and well seasoned (one dish was under salted a little bit and one was over salted a bit) for their first week. We definitely recommend that you try it out.

The wait staff and owners were excellent, and in our opinion BETTER than most downtown staples. The level of service is EXCELLENT. Our waiters suggestions were excellent, his knowledge of wine paring great, and the level of attention on making sure that we enjoyed our meal and time spent very high. This place could have easily compete with our best restaurants downtown, or Charleston for that matter.

:ph34r: Something like this can be very expensive to clean up unfortunately. It could take a while to clean it up too. Probably a month or two. Sounds like a bad situation that is only getting worse. It doesn't help that the two sides can't reach an agreement of who's at fault. I personally think it's the landlord's responsibility to clean it up and not the tenants. I wouldn't pay rent either if I had a business located there with this going on.

Not sure how much effect the situation in parts of the building will have on Dunkin. A good deal of the issue was in the basement and not the section Dunkin is moving into. Additionally, Dunkin was going to entirely gut the space anyway.

The Mrs and I ate at Davani's this evening. This week is their "soft opening." It is more continental than italian in the "Olive Garden" sense. Also, do not expect it to be simple and cafe/sandwich shop like because of its location in a strip mall. THis place is very nice and its ambiance, menu and level of service rival any, and I am including Soby's, Rick Erwin's, High Cotton, and O (not Devereux) restaurant downtown. This is what the Augusta Grill should have over time renovated to be up to this par. Augusta Road really needed this addition as it has returned some class to this once prestigious but declining thoroughfare.

The menu was excellent, mussels, beef carpaccio, escargo, shellfish fra diavalo, beef tournados with asparagus, lobster and hollandaise, veal oscar, veal picatta, NY strip steak, sea bass, salmon, espresso, home made cheese cake with fresh black berries grown and picked from one of the waitstaff's gardens, are just a small sampling of what is offered. Expect to pay about 28 dollars per entre. The food was delicious, cooked to perfection, and well seasoned (one dish was under salted a little bit and one was over salted a bit) for their first week. We definitely recommend that you try it out.

The wait staff and owners were excellent, and in our opinion BETTER than most downtown staples. The level of service is EXCELLENT. Our waiters suggestions were excellent, his knowledge of wine paring great, and the level of attention on making sure that we enjoyed our meal and time spent very high. This place could have easily compete with our best restaurants downtown, or Charleston for that matter.

Great review! Thanks! Can't wait to try it.

Archived