UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

He was a construction teacher at BJU before the STB endeavor.

I wonder why everyone is afraid to come out and call it a "large group of black kids." I haven't seen a white, hispanic, or asian group swarming above Falls Park in the past few weeks, but I have seen a very large group of black kids "loitering" in that same place more than once recently. Regardless of whether or not illegal activity has occurred as a result, this is obviously an uncomfortable deterrent for families who enjoy coming downtown for a memorable evening together. It is disappointing and something should be done pronto. But what can be done to ease the tension without upsetting the diverse and enjoyable public atmosphere?

Are you serious??

By the way, the Klan called; even they said that racial profiling was so last year...

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why everyone is afraid to come out and call it a "large group of black kids." I haven't seen a white, hispanic, or asian group swarming above Falls Park in the past few weeks, but I have seen a very large group of black kids "loitering" in that same place more than once recently. Regardless of whether or not illegal activity has occurred as a result, this is obviously an uncomfortable deterrent for families who enjoy coming downtown for a memorable evening together. It is disappointing and something should be done pronto. But what can be done to ease the tension without upsetting the diverse and enjoyable public atmosphere?

It may be true in this case that it is a "large group of black kids," but that is not how I choose to address such things. It could very well be a large group of white, hispanic, asian kids/teens and we'd also have a problem of people shying away from the area. To me, the fact that they are black is not the overriding concern. It's large groupings of kids/teens with nothing to do and the potential for trouble to brew that is what people don't like.

i dont think he was trying to be racial or saying that the concern of the matter was the fact that they were black. I think he was just trying to point out that everybody was just dancing around it and not saying it . There is no problem with pointing out the race of the group of people involved if your not being hateful or demeaning about it, which he wasn't.

i dont think he was trying to be racial or saying that the concern of the matter was the fact that they were black. I think he was just trying to point out that everybody was just dancing around it and not saying it . There is no problem with pointing out the race of the group of people involved if your not being hateful or demeaning about it, which he wasn't.

The race of the individuals in question shouldn

I would have mentioned the seersucker, because it looks out of place in Greenville. Thankfully it is much more popular in the Lowcountry than it is in the Upstate.

I'll be the geek that admits, once or twice every summer I wear my white bucks, seersucker and bowtie. :ph34r:

I'll be the geek that admits, once or twice every summer I wear my white bucks, seersucker and bowtie. :ph34r:

I'm sure you can pull it off, gsupstate. A lot of people I see wearing it cannot. :lol:

In all seriousness, I see it a lot more in Charleston than I do in Greenville. I saw a guy in a seersucker suit on Main Street near Piazza Bergamo a couple of months ago and realized then that it isn't as common in Greenville. Perhaps that was you, gsupstate!

I saw a guy in a seersucker suit on Main Street near Piazza Bergamo a couple of months ago and realized then that it isn't as common in Greenville. Perhaps that was you, gsupstate!

Perhaps, but don't think I've worn it recently.

My hunch is you had a mysterious Bob Ellis sighting! :lol:

Sorry, realized this is the restaurant thread, so back to new restaurants............

Heidi Aiken filed something about their sign (I believe). I believe it's an appeal to one of the City's committees... Anyone know what that's about?

This is going before the DPC this Thursday at 4:00pm on the 3rd floor of City Hall.

She says it's too bright while others who live across the street have no problem with it. :dontknow:

Heidi_Available.jpg

This is going before the DPC this Thursday at 4:00pm on the 3rd floor of City Hall.

She says it's too bright while others who live across the street have no problem with it. :dontknow:

Heidi_Available.jpg

Too bright? Are you serious? Geez. Maybe we should also cut off all street lights at 10pm so she can get some sleep?

I have a problem with her, so can we somehow shut her off? :silly:

:rofl:

She is OK on the radio.....but when she gets in "activist" mode, she becomes very annoying. Most of her "causes" tend to be silly.....just like this one concerning the sign.

That lady is ridiculous. I've dealt with her before and all I can say politely is that she is an outrageous beotch.

Anyway, my solution for her:

If living downtown and the things that go with it (signs, development, progress, population) bother you, then move.

Amen. If the battles that she chooses to fight (which in her mind must be) were truly bettering Greenville, then it'd be nice to have her out-spoken nature as the "activist" that she claims to be. But in my mind, she is not.

Maybe we should start sending her 'fan mail' that contains informative fliers about various other cities across the state or country. Maybe she'd move and start her battles there.. :rolleyes:

Hubby and I tried a new restaurant Friday night... Jason Scholz, who was the executive chef at High Cotton, has opened Stella's Southern Bistro on Fairview Road where Morgan's used to be. We expected things to be a little hectic since they had just opened two days before, but overall it was great. I had a shrimp and watermelon salad, which I tried totally based on the server's recommendation. It was delicious! I had their Friday special, the stuffed flouder, and my husband had a pork porterhouse, both were delicious. The food took a little longer than I expected to get to the table, but they are new so I would guess that will resolve itself in time. The server was knowledgable about the menu and took excellent care of us, the peach sangria was wonderful, and we will definitely be back there. They will be open for lunch as well, although they are not yet. It's a very nice addition to that side of town.

Hubby and I tried a new restaurant Friday night... Jason Scholz, who was the executive chef at High Cotton, has opened Stella's Southern Bistro on Fairview Road where Morgan's used to be. We expected things to be a little hectic since they had just opened two days before, but overall it was great. I had a shrimp and watermelon salad, which I tried totally based on the server's recommendation. It was delicious! I had their Friday special, the stuffed flouder, and my husband had a pork porterhouse, both were delicious. The food took a little longer than I expected to get to the table, but they are new so I would guess that will resolve itself in time. The server was knowledgable about the menu and took excellent care of us, the peach sangria was wonderful, and we will definitely be back there. They will be open for lunch as well, although they are not yet. It's a very nice addition to that side of town.

This is in a little strip center with 6 or 7 storefronts? Across Fairview from Home Depot / Bi-lo?

Good to see Simpsonville getting in on the local chef action. :thumbsup:

"Fix" is in the small triangular building on Wade Hampton across from Column Street, yes? Didn't this building used to be light green?

Exactly right. :thumbsup:

Next time you are in from Charleston, you should check it out. Good addition to the local coffee scene.

sounds good...out of curiosity, what's the price range.

Archived