UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tako-sushiis what is going in at the Sophisticated Palate location.

Thanks for posting. Now we know what will go into the location.

Can't say I'm too thrilled with their website. Looks a bit small town and looks as if they tried too hard for some sort of image (whatever image that may be). Sorry to be negative, but it just doesn't look slick.

Thanks for posting. Now we know what will go into the location.

Can't say I'm too thrilled with their website. Looks a bit small town and looks as if they tried too hard for some sort of image (whatever image that may be). Sorry to be negative, but it just doesn't look slick.

The fact that they only have experience in Augusta and Aiken doesn't help their image much. <_<

The fact that they only have experience in Augusta and Aiken doesn't help their image much. <_<

True. And that brings up a point....hope they know that Greenvillians have a high expectation and hope they meet those expectations. They look a little typical from the website....something you'd find in any medium sized Southern city.

Really good article from the Greenville News on this latest round of new restaurant openings. Not much in the article will new to UP'ers, but a good article. :thumbsup:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../707040383/1003

Ten sound like it is going to be a pretty good establishment and i still like the fact that American Grocery is primarily using local farms to get their food.

Can't remember where folks were talking about gelato, but....

I was at Liquid Highway on East North yesterday, and they had a big sign out that they are now selling gelato. They have about 6 regular flavors, and then about 3 specials of the day.

Can't remember where folks were talking about gelato, but....

I was at Liquid Highway on East North yesterday, and they had a big sign out that they are now selling gelato. They have about 6 regular flavors, and then about 3 specials of the day.

Thanks, connysmom! I don't remember where we were discussing it either, but I do remember suggesting that someone open a gelato shop somewhere on or near Piazza Bergamo to play into the whole Italian sister city thing. I'll have to check out Liquid Highway.

Speaking of Liquid Highway - anybody see the new Brick House Coffee opening on Pleasantburg just North of Wade Hampton?

They used to have one inside Haywood Mall quite a few years ago just outside of Belks near the center Court. I remember it there back in the late 80's when I worked a Rich's for a short time after college. It really had an fancy 80's look about it. Walls were mostly black and pink neon trim. Somewhat fru-fru.

They used to have one inside Haywood Mall quite a few years ago just outside of Belks near the center Court. I remember it there back in the late 80's when I worked a Rich's for a short time after college. It really had an fancy 80's look about it. Walls were mostly black and pink neon trim. Somewhat fru-fru.

I used to love that place...Gelato Roberto's (I think). The food was pretty good. When they closed, they said they would re-open somewhere else, but we never heard from them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Handi is open on North Main and I had dinner there last night. I found the food better than India Palace, but not quite as good as Saffron. The Mango shake is fantastic! Service was excellent. The one let down was the fact they do not yet have their alcohol license to sell beer, wine and cocktails. They said they hope to have it approved in the next two weeks. Check it out, definitely a great addition to North Main. :thumbsup:

American Grocery is now open in West End. Opened last night.

Handi is open on North Main and I had dinner there last night. I found the food better than India Palace, but not quite as good as Saffron. The Mango shake is fantastic! Service was excellent. The one let down was the fact they do not yet have their alcohol license to sell beer, wine and cocktails. They said they hope to have it approved in the next two weeks. Check it out, definitely a great addition to North Main. :thumbsup:

American Grocery is now open in West End. Opened last night.

Where is Saffron? I am not familiar with it. How does it compare to Swad on Laurens Road?

Glad to hear about Handi. I will have to check it out.

^ Saffron is right off Woodruff (at Garlington/Miller) in the little red brick shopping center behind Wachovia (I think its a Wachovia branch). Same shopping center as Giovanni's Italian. Saffron, though in the burbs, is really, really good. :thumbsup:

IMO Handi was better than Swad, although I love Swad.

My wife and I went back to the Liberty Tap room last weekend and were very disappointed. The smoke from the bar area is over-powering. :sick: We got a table as far away from it as we could, but it's not worth running the gauntlet to get in and out of the restaurant. We won't go back unless the smoking ordinance takes affect or the restaurant voluntarily complies.

We're in town only on the weekends and eat-out most nights. The Tap Room is extremely convienient, but luckily there are plenty of alternatives downtown.

Archived