UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

Whoever said that Ruth's Chris would be located at the Crowne Plaza hotel on Roper Mountain Road gets a gold star:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...SINESS/80331055

It seems that the Crowne Plaza is undergoing extensive renovations, and Ruth's Chris is very excited about being a part of it. It will be interesting to see how they do in that location. It seems sort of off the beaten path on Roper Mountain Road, but then again Woodruff and Conagree are right there. I hope they do well. :)

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered about the unusual name, so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name. Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world.

Adam's Bistro! Please tell me you all have tried this. It is on Pelham Road near Pubix and East North Street. They opened this restaurant because their catering compnay does so well. Open for lunch and dinner.

Also, anyone tried Coal Fired Pizza? Their wine dispensing machine is state of the art! So much fun!

Adam's Bistro! Please tell me you all have tried this. It is on Pelham Road near Pubix and East North Street. They opened this restaurant because their catering compnay does so well. Open for lunch and dinner.

Also, anyone tried Coal Fired Pizza? Their wine dispensing machine is state of the art! So much fun!

Do you have menus for either place? A quick google came back with nothing. The coal fired pizza is easier to figure out than the bistro :)

On the pizza note I'd mention Della Ventura's pizza on 290 in Greer (near the Tech campus). It's ALWAYS crowded and there is a reason for that. Great great pizza and very nice owners but be prepared to wait as it's always packed. 2 thumbs up for the stuff pizza though it's amazing.

I've tried Coal Fired Pizza on 14/Batesville and was pretty impressed. Should do well. :thumbsup:

Is Adams in the space that was briefly a Mexican restaurant? The space on the end? Noticed something was going in there a while back. Haven't tried it though. I see it is a bistro.....any special, unique menu items?

I've tried Coal Fired Pizza on 14/Batesville and was pretty impressed. Should do well. :thumbsup:

Is Adams in the space that was briefly a Mexican restaurant? The space on the end? Noticed something was going in there a while back. Haven't tried it though. I see it is a bistro.....any special, unique menu items?

I believe the Mexican place (or what used to be the Mexican place) is across the "pond" from Thai at Greenville.

Whoever said that Ruth's Chris would be located at the Crowne Plaza hotel on Roper Mountain Road gets a gold star:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...SINESS/80331055

It seems that the Crowne Plaza is undergoing extensive renovations, and Ruth's Chris is very excited about being a part of it. It will be interesting to see how they do in that location. It seems sort of off the beaten path on Roper Mountain Road, but then again Woodruff and Conagree are right there. I hope they do well. :)

That would be me. Thanks for the props. I had a pretty reliable source and went with it. Now, I'm trying to confirm the OPH one.

Barbaritos used to be where Adam's Bistro is now. I tried it once and the meat was so salty I could barely stand to eat it (and didn't finish it). Never went back.

That was the place I was thinking of. It didn't last long. Maybe two or three months at the most. Never tried the food, but also never heard anything positive about the place.

Mmmm. I love Mexican. If you've never been to Simpsonville's Anita's Mexican Restaurant, then you're missing out. The absolute best chips and salsa, food, and service you'll find. I just wish they'd open a Greenville location, so I wouldn't have to drive 20 minutes to get there...

I tried Compadre's in the West End. It's on the level of Monterrey's. Actually I felt like I was eating Monterrey's food, just at another location... I love their location, but it's just average Mexican in my opinion.

Mmmm. I love Mexican. If you've never been to Simpsonville's Anita's Mexican Restaurant, then you're missing out. The absolute best chips and salsa, food, and service you'll find. I just wish they'd open a Greenville location, so I wouldn't have to drive 20 minutes to get there...

I tried Compadre's in the West End. It's on the level of Monterrey's. Actually I felt like I was eating Monterrey's food, just at another location... I love their location, but it's just average Mexican in my opinion.

Was Compadre's doing good business when you were there? I am curious to know how well they are doing, especially since they are basically the only Mexican restaurant in the CBD.

As for Compadre's, when I was there, maybe two other groups of people were in there at a time. Not a huge crowd, but Mexican places do turn tables fast (and it's actually quite a small space). It was a Saturday at lunch. I'd expect weekday crowds to be larger with office workers. Being so far removed from the most active portions of downtown, I'd say weekend crowds are probably low. I'm sure business will SOAR with the arrival of baseball! ;)

I like Moe's. :)

Mmmm, me too. I don't care what anyone else says, it's tasty!

And on the subject of restaurants: I'm sure it was posted earlier somewhere here, but I'm most excited about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse coming to Greenville. I've been lucky enough to eat at their locations in Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston, Honolulu, and Denver and it is by far my favorite restaurant. A little too expensive to be eating their often, though.

They have sandwiches, salads, soups and burgers, but they also have meat and 1, 2 or 3. I will try to et my hands on a menu.

Do you have menus for either place? A quick google came back with nothing. The coal fired pizza is easier to figure out than the bistro :)

On the pizza note I'd mention Della Ventura's pizza on 290 in Greer (near the Tech campus). It's ALWAYS crowded and there is a reason for that. Great great pizza and very nice owners but be prepared to wait as it's always packed. 2 thumbs up for the stuff pizza though it's amazing.

I found the menu for Coal Fired Pizza. It is a little out of order.

I will see if Adams Bistro can send me one.

PIZZA

Toppings: Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Ham, Onion, Meatball, Ground Beef, Canadian Bacon, Tomato,Prosciutto, Green Pepper, Minced Garlic, Spinach Black Olives, Mushroom, Arugula, Extra Cheese, Feta, Ricotta, Mozzarella Di Bufula, Fontina

Stromboli

Filled with fresh mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, mushroom, onion, green pepper

Calzone

Filled with fresh mozzarella and ricotta

Specialty Pizzas

Quattro formaggi

Fresh mozzarella, fontina, mozzarella di bufula, parmigiano reggiano, extra virgin olive oil

Prosciutto e rucola

Fresh mozzarella, prosciutto di parma, fresh arugula, extra virgin olive oil, parmigiano reggiano

Greek

Feta cheese, fresh tomatoes, black olives

Bianca

Fresh mozzarella, ricotta, garlic, oregano, fresh basil

Lasagna

Ricotta, ham, fresh mozzarella, basil, parmesan

Margherita

Tomatoes, mozzarella di bufula, extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil

Veggie

Onion, mushroom, green pepper, black olives, tomato

Works

Pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper, black olives

Meat lover

Have you tried Monterrey by the Mall on Congaree Road? Their food is a step above the other Monterrey's...as is the menu. Compadre's is pretty good - I've eaten there a couple of times, if for no other reason than to help them out during the baseball off season. I'm sure their business will pick up now that baseball season begins tonight. I'm now going to have to go to Anita's in Simpsonville. Where exactly is that? Molina's in Travelers Rest (never been to the others) is pretty good, but again - very similar to what you get at most of the Monterrey locations.

Have you tried Monterrey by the Mall on Congaree Road? Their food is a step above the other Monterrey's...as is the menu. Compadre's is pretty good - I've eaten there a couple of times, if for no other reason than to help them out during the baseball off season. I'm sure their business will pick up now that baseball season begins tonight. I'm now going to have to go to Anita's in Simpsonville. Where exactly is that? Molina's in Travelers Rest (never been to the others) is pretty good, but again - very similar to what you get at most of the Monterrey locations.

I like Monterrey by the Mall as well. The food is great, and the atmosphere is excellent compared to most Mexican restaurants.

I have been to Anita's once, and it was good. It was a Saturday night, and they were doing a lot of business. It is right off of Main Street in Simpsonville, not far from where I-385 and I-185 intersect (mile marker 31 off of I-385 I believe).

I also like El Matador on Wade Hampton Boulevard in Taylors. It is in an old house, and has been there for years. I have not been in several years, but remember the food being really good.

Yea, I like the proximity of Monterrey's by the Mall to the one on Laurens. Depending on what I'm looking like, or the atmosphere I'm desiring, I can just as easily access either. The one at the mall is definitely a step above.

Like Greenville said, Anita's is in Simpsonville on Main Street just past Hwy 14, Super Bilo, and the new Silver Bay Seafood (name?). It's on the left in an old house (going toward Simpsonville).

Archived