UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are giving me the jitters about High Cotton. i've got a reservation this weekend and I don't like to waste my money. Anyone with a good experience?

Didn't mean to give the jitters. I think the service issue will work itself out (always happens with a new place, especially one of this size). I've had a few dishes that were excellent and a few that needed help. Again, I think this will work itself out with a few weeks of being open.....once the chef and kitchen staff get in sync.

One big plus and one consistent positive is the overall atmosphere / experience. It would pretty hard to beat in any restaurant, in any city of any size. :thumbsup:

Just opened - Indian restaurant called "Saffron" near the intersection of Woodruff & Garlington rd. Went there twice last week- once for lunch and then for dinner. Food is authentic and a class better than the other Indian places in Greenville. Lunch they have a buffet ($7)- can get crowded (weekday - had to wait 20 min for a table), dinner is a-la-carte. The decor is nice and the waiters quite professional.

I know lot of Greenville folks who have been turned off from Indian cuisine after their dining experiences at India Palace etc. Saffron certainly gives a fresh breath to the curry scene of the upstate. :yahoo:

Just opened - Indian restaurant called "Saffron" near the intersection of Woodruff & Garlington rd. Went there twice last week- once for lunch and then for dinner. Food is authentic and a class better than the other Indian places in Greenville. Lunch they have a buffet ($7)- can get crowded (weekday - had to wait 20 min for a table), dinner is a-la-carte. The decor is nice and the waiters quite professional.

I know lot of Greenville folks who have been turned off from Indian cuisine after their dining experiences at India Palace etc. Saffron certainly gives a fresh breath to the curry scene of the upstate. :yahoo:

Where is it around that intersection? I love indian food, and that would be a great addition the inter-cultural lunches we always seem to do.

Where is it around that intersection? I love indian food, and that would be a great addition the inter-cultural lunches we always seem to do.

It is located in the "Woodruff Gallery" (same one as Riley's bar etc), faces Miller / Garlington rd (next to the Wachovia branch).

Spent Fridy night at the Hampton Inn Riverplace and took my wife to High Cotton and a show at the peace center.

First, it was wonderful to park my car at the hotel and be able to walk around the falls, to supper, grab a coffee, go to a show etc...

I love the atmosphere at High Cotton. We had a window table looking out at the river and street. My biggest complaint there was that the table was close to the bar and there was a large birthday gathering waiting on their room that spilled out into the dining area. I literally had people standing right beside my table. Hopefully, that was just a fluke.

I still think they can take the food up a another notch. My lump crab over asparagus was cold. My steak was great, but not my wife's, and I loved the volcano (even though City Range still has one better)

The hotel is awesome. We had a river view room with a balcony. This is the nicest Hampton Inn I have ever seen. Good coffee in the lobby, great breakfast, and overall nice hotel. They went out of there way to make things look nice without top line materials.

I've always loved the peace Center, but I wish the lobby was larger. It is very tight.

A new fine Indian restaurant is planned to open in the former Diner on Main location downtown as well. I hope it does very well in that spot. A walk up and down Main Street is a culinary trip around the World these days. :shades:

A new fine Indian restaurant is planned to open in the former Diner on Main location downtown as well. I hope it does very well in that spot. A walk up and down Main Street is a culinary trip around the World these days. :shades:

I have always thought that an Indian restaurant was needed downtown. Hopefully it will do excellent business. :thumbsup:

I saw last night that Rio Grille is now open....has anybody had the chance to get by there yet?

I went by the other night with a small group of people. The sign at the maitre 'd station said $30/person. Sadly, we were looking for something a little more casual and less expensive on a Monday night so we did not stay. It does look nice though and they had a pretty good group of people inside.

Anybody here familiar with traditional Brazilian Rodizio? It's essentially all-you-can-eat. There is continuious table service where the meat entrees (beef, poultry, pork) are presented to you on the very skewers on which they were cooked. You select what you like and it's served to you right off of the skewer. There's usually something at your table which indicates "continue to bring it on" or "I'm busy chewing on what I've got or I've eaten all I can" -- perhaps a flip sign or a straw hat or something of the like. You turn it one way to indicate that you're ready for more and the other to indicate that you're not. Then, there's usually a self-service buffet of sides to accompany your entree. This is the experience I've had at other Rodizios, at least and I'm certain that this is just exactly the type of place Rio Grille is, so if you're willing to shell out the $ (or the $$$, as the case may be, according to the new Greenville Visitor's Guide), then you're in for a treat. :shades:

I have had what you are talking about, RT. My experience was far more casual as it was over on Pleasantburg Drive outside one of the latino bars near the airport. A guy has/had this trailer restaurant setup their and picnic tables outside and you could order whatever you wanted if you could cross the communication barrier. Awesome food, I must say! :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

With all the talk yesterday in The Food Thread about Kim's Hot Wings on Augusta, I decided to try them last night. The food was OUTSTANDING! Fresh, fresh, fresh. Best Chinese I've had in quite some time. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Didn't eat there, took it home, as the interior....well.....it does need some help. If you're a clean feak, the interior may turn you off.

When I was leaving, noticed just across Augusta a new restaurant: Cafe Melvena. Looked fairly cute inside. An outside deck had been added along the side. Sign on the door said they were currently hiring and training and should be opening soon. The restaurant is in what had been an empty building. Anyone have info?

With all the talk yesterday in The Food Thread about Kim's Hot Wings on Augusta, I decided to try them last night. The food was OUTSTANDING! Fresh, fresh, fresh. Best Chinese I've had in quite some time. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Didn't eat there, took it home, as the interior....well.....it does need some help. If you're a clean feak, the interior may turn you off.

When I was leaving, noticed just across Augusta a new restaurant: Cafe Melvena. Looked fairly cute inside. An outside deck had been added along the side. Sign on the door said they were currently hiring and training and should be opening soon. The restaurant is in what had been an empty building. Anyone have info?

I have heard that Melvena's was suppposed to be opened by now but she had to make some last minute changes such as add more sidewalk space to appease the city. I think it should be opening any day now.

For some reason I am thinking about the Mexican restaurant on Pleasantburg near where Jeff Lynch used to be (upscale for a Mexican place, I believe). Rosa Linda's, maybe? I recall hearing that a new one was going to open elsewhere in the city - I'm thinking downtown. Has anything come of that? Anyone know what's up?

For some reason I am thinking about the Mexican restaurant on Pleasantburg near where Jeff Lynch used to be (upscale for a Mexican place, I believe). Rosa Linda's, maybe? I recall hearing that a new one was going to open elsewhere in the city - I'm thinking downtown. Has anything come of that? Anyone know what's up?

Yep, Rosalinda's. They were suppose to open downtown, but that fell through. Carlos, Rosalinda's son, who pretty much ran the place, married and moved back to Mexico. The food and atmosphere at Rosalinda's has slipped somewhat since he left and his mom is running it again. She's a sweet lady but simply doesn't have the business acumen that Carlos had. I highly doubt a second location will open now.

• 2 weeks later...

New Cuban restaurant opening at Highway 14 and Pelham next to Bloom:

DSC01794.jpg

Oh yea! That's what I'm talkin' about! I'm definitely going to check this place out once it opens! I haven't had a good cuban sandwich or media noche, black beans and rice, or flan in ages!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to High Cotton last night to celebrate a special occasion with my parents, and had a wonderful time. The atmosphere was everything I thought it would be, and our server was very good. I thought he might be a little nervous at first, but his personality shined through and he struck a good balance between attentiveness and leaving us alone to enjoy our meal. He also made some good recommendations at appropriate times.

The food was outstanding. I had the pan seared tuna and was very pleased. The other meals at my table looked good and received good reviews as well. For a special night out, it fit the bill. We all agreed that we would return again.

P.S. There was a waiter at an adjacent table that I overheard, and he was top notch. He could definitely have been a "six-figure waiter" that gsupstate mentioned.

Another O-CHA update, via the Facebook group:

ok...loyal O-CHA fans...the saga continues..

The latest news: If we can find someone to take over the rest of our 8 months on our lease in the current location, we have a possible shot at moving O-CHA tea bar to a smaller location (ground level) down the street!!! Please put the word out that the space that O-CHA tea bar currently resides is up for lease...for whatever purpose...office bldg...whatever. Get them in touch with me ASAP at 864-241-OCHA. THANKS, MALLIE

This sounds like a perfect setup, if they can find someone to sublease their current location. I wonder where the smaller, ground-level location "down the street" is?

Another O-CHA update, via the Facebook group:

ok...loyal O-CHA fans...the saga continues..

The latest news: If we can find someone to take over the rest of our 8 months on our lease in the current location, we have a possible shot at moving O-CHA tea bar to a smaller location (ground level) down the street!!! Please put the word out that the space that O-CHA tea bar currently resides is up for lease...for whatever purpose...office bldg...whatever. Get them in touch with me ASAP at 864-241-OCHA. THANKS, MALLIE

This sounds like a perfect setup, if they can find someone to sublease their current location. I wonder where the smaller, ground-level location "down the street" is?

Would the old Edens location be smaller?

Archived