UPDATE:New Greenville Restaurants

gvlnative

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool; I'll have to stop in and say hi. I was sure at least one person would know who I was referring to. :)

Make it two! Ive seen him walking up Haywood a lot too--glad to know he's close by.

West Inlet Oyster Bar. Coming soon to the lower level of West End Market.

DSC01464.jpg

another oyster bar? How will this one differ from Oysters across from Riverplace?

I wasn't all that impressed by High Cotton. It was just ok. I probably will not go back.

My wife and I ate there on 3/14. Both of us really enjoyed the meal and the service. Great view of the river. NYT, I did notice that there were NO ashtrays out and no one was smoking.

My wife and I ate there on 3/14. Both of us really enjoyed the meal and the service. Great view of the river. NYT, I did notice that there were NO ashtrays out and no one was smoking.

Really? Maybe they have smoking only in the later hours or none at all. :yahoo: They should let the city know so they can get on the list.

Thanks wellen :thumbsup:

I have driven by that Pizza House a few times over the last year or so, and each time it looked empty. I wondered if the owners ran out of money, or even if the restaurant opened briefly and closed. I'm glad to hear that they are open (and that the pizza is good).

Just to let you all know, the Pizza House is open. My boys and I tried it out this week and it was pretty good. Will probably get something there this weekend also.

I went to Aladdin last night with some friends, and it wasn't quite what I expected.

We decided to try out the Moroccan room. I liked the decor and seating, and the belly dancer was very nice, as were the waitress and other people working there. The downside was the cost, since none of my party expected it. The outside of the restaurant doesn't scream "very expensive", but we decided to give it a go.

The total bill for four adults and a two year old was $240. Their menu says that there is a $25 charge for children 12 and under (the cheapest things on the adult menu were $35 vegetarian dishes), and every person has to order an entree. Luckily they didn't charge anything for the two year old to eat. They did count him in on the automatic 18% gratuity added for parties of five or more which really didn't make sense to me since the only thing he "ordered" was an orange juice. He of course had food from his parent's dishes.

We noticed a group of people walk out after looking at the menu - or maybe they walked out because they were offended by the belly dancer? Who knows... but it did amuse me. :)

The food was ok, but I didn't think it was anything special. It is a nice place to try something a little different, but I don't see myself going back. Be prepared to have them hand out surveys at the end of your dinner if you try it out. :P

It doesn't seem like a Greenville kind of place. More like something you would see in Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, Vegas, etc. However if they served that blue Romulan Ale and had green Orion women it would be a different story! :whistling:

I wasn't too impressed with it myself. I like your concept though, I'd say let's go for it if it weren't for the licensing fees we'd have to pay Paramount! :lol:

You are right about that. It screams Long John Silver's to me.

I agree. If you wanted to treat someone to an expensive dinner or impress a client, you won't want to drive up to a place that looks like that.

I wonder if they'll be able to stay in business? I've noticed they never have many cars in the parking lot, and it was rather dead yesterday night.

Did High Cotton last night for the first time.

Overall would give it 9 out of 10.

Food - excellent

Atmosphere - excellent

Drink - needed improvement

Service / Wait Staff - OK, but could use improvement.

My major beef was with my drink. Ordered a dirty martini straight up. Received a martini that was not dirty, and not very cold (no little layer of ice floating on top). Sent it back and received the second, a little better, but still barely cold. It's as if they were so busy, they were just spinning drinks out too quickly.

Food was OUTSTANDING! Atmosphere was GREAT!

Our waiter was a little less than I would have expected......to put this as nice as possible, he would have probably been more comfortable in Applebees than in a high end restaurant. He missed ALL the signals. Nice, polite fellow, just needs some schooling in upscale dinning.

Food - excellent

Atmosphere - excellent

My major beef was with my drink. Ordered a dirty martini straight up. Received a martini that was not dirty, and not very cold (no little layer of ice floating on top). Sent it back and received the second, a little better, but still barely cold. It's as if they were so busy, they were just spinning drinks out too quickly.

Our waiter was a little less than I would have expected......to put this as nice as possible, he would have probably been more comfortable in Applebees than in a high end restaurant. He missed ALL the signals. Nice, polite fellow, just needs some schooling in upscale dinning.

My experience was:

Food - Slightly better than average

Atmosphere - excellent

Drink - agree with the needs improvement, but with selection of beers

Service - just ok

My filet was pretty dry, esp. being medium rare. Bergamo probably has the best filet downtown. My wife had the scallops, which there were only 2, and I would have expected 3, but the carrot puree was spectacular. Really surprising how good it was.

Atmosphere was great. We had a window seat, and the view was just as good as you would expect. There was a trio playing with a lady singing as well. Very nice, and set the mood for us.

I didn't think it would be difficult to get a beer, but ... nothing on tap, no Blue Moon, no Bass, no Coors Light, so I had a Bud Light. (I asked in that order.)

Service was somewhat slow, considering we waited almost 10 min after being seated for someone to come around to take a drink order from us. But, everyone there is very friendly and helpful.

To give some perspective on my review:

Other places downtown that I have not been impressed with: Rick Erwins and Smoke on the Water

Other places I have liked: Trattoria Giorgio, Ristorante Bergamo, Sassafras, Larkins

Food - excellent

Atmosphere - excellent

Best waiter I've ever had in Greenville (in most other places too for that matter) is Dave "the face" at Soby's. If any of you have ever had him as a waiter, you won't soon forget him. Great attitude, highly entertaining and very attentive. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Best waiter I've ever had in Greenville (in most other places too for that matter) is Dave "the face" at Soby's. If any of you have ever had him as a waiter, you won't soon forget him. Great attitude, highly entertaining and very attentive.

He's waited on us before. I wholeheartedly agree! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another is Shawn...used to be at Restaurant O and then moved to Rick Erwins.....a pro through and through. :thumbsup:

I sometimes think Greenville has a shortage of those professional, career oriented, six figure making, waiters. Hopefully with tourism on the rise, that will change.

He's waited on us before. I wholeheartedly agree! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another is Shawn...used to be at Restaurant O and then moved to Rick Erwins.....a pro through and through. :thumbsup:

I'm sometimes think Greenville has a shortage of those professional, career oriented, six figure making, waiters. Hopefully with tourism on the rise, that will change.

Yeah, I would say that Greenville has a shortage of six figure waiters

Yeah, I would say that Greenville has a shortage of six figure waiters

I was being serious. High paid wait staff tends to say something about a city and it's tourism. I know a server in Seattle that rakes in 180K a year. I'm sure Greenville has a few at O, Rick Erwins, and possibly Chophouse 47.

I certainly hope they break the cycle of the other, multiple places that have been there since Dempsey's. Dempsey's used to be awesome with the bands outside in the little courtyard. They had to stop that when the noise ordinance was passed and then shut down shortly afterwards. I thought it was a big loss.

I peaked in there the other day and it looks great. It appears they have totally redone the place.

Food - excellent

Atmosphere - excellent

I was back at High Cotton last night, and I'm not seeing consistency from them. I was sadly disappointed with both the service and the food. From last night's experience, I would give different ratings entirely than I gave on my first visit.

Last night I would say:

Food - average

Atmosphere - excellent

Drink - average

Service - needed major improvement (worse than my first visit)

I saw last night that Rio Grille is now open....has anybody had the chance to get by there yet?

I went by the other night with a small group of people. The sign at the maitre 'd station said $30/person. Sadly, we were looking for something a little more casual and less expensive on a Monday night so we did not stay. It does look nice though and they had a pretty good group of people inside.

Archived