Richmond Events

burt

Coupe, doesn't the Virginia Opera also perform at the big theatre on your campus - GMU? They have in past years.

I'm thrilled that the Washington Post is urging opera-lovers to flock to Richmond's Landmark Theatre, but puzzled. Maybe Virginia Opera no longer includes Nova in its circuit.

The opera company will return to the restored Carpenter TheatRe (I can't pull myself to spell it the other way :tough: ) when it reopens in fall of 2009. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HBO Film will Premiere at the Byrd Theatre on Friday

Pretty neat event for the old Byrd to host. I'm sure that new Dolby Digital Sound System will come in handy...

"Life Support", an HBO film about a woman's struggle with redemption and AIDS, will premiere at the Byrd Theatre on Friday.

HBO decided to premiere this film in locations where a strong community partnership has been established said Kathleen Neal, an HBO publicist. Comcast and the Greater Urban League of Richmond worked with HBO to present "Life Support."

The film examines the real-life story of director Nelson George's sister, Andrea Williams, a former drug addict-turned-AIDS activist. Queen Latifah portrays William's endeavors with Life Support, an AIDS outreach group, while coping with family issues.

Here's an interesting story by Cynthia McMullin from today's RTD.

Could it be that non-Equity productions (AIDA, for one, and probably CABARET, though it's no longer listed as a touring show) sold at top prices interspersed among a weak season of touring attractions is less and less appealing to an increasingly sophisticated audience?

Could it be that TONY AND TINA'S WEDDING, presented in the Landmark ballroom is not what subscribers are hoping to see?

A promoter who can not sell-out a Bill Cosby one-nighter is not doing a top-flight PR job.

This is not JUST a problem in Richmond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...flairHere's]http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...flair

Richmond Coliseum: Is it playing "catch-up?"

The Blue Man Group plays JPJ Arena in Charlottesville this Saturday, then comes into Richmond Coliseum Tuesday, March 6th at 7:30PM.

Ticket prices in Richmond range from $49.50 to $75.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CIRQUE du SOLEIL checks into the Richmond Coliseumfor a one-nighter at 8PM on June 12th. Tickets are $38.50 to $99.50 and will go on sale at Ticketmaster outlets beginning this coming Monday, March 5th.

This isn't so much a Richmond event, but I just couldn't help mentioning that The University of Virginia basketball team is officially number 1 in the ACC after beating Virginia Tech last night at JPJ Arena. Carolina also had to lose to Georgia Tech in order for UVA to be in first place alone and Georgia Tech defeated North Carolina last night in Atlanta. This is the first time this has happened since the early 1980s! Congratualations to the team! Go Hoos! :)

Who was out on the First Friday Artwalk last night?

All comments would be appreciated, especially since there is no comment in today's Times Dispatch about the event.

Was it well-attended? Were restaurants doing brisk business? Were there any outlandish, attention-grabbing presentations at Gallery 5 and other venues? :alc:

Who was out on the First Friday Artwalk last night?

All comments would be appreciated, especially since there is no comment in today's Times Dispatch about the event.

Was it well-attended? Were restaurants doing brisk business? Were there any outlandish, attention-grabbing presentations at Gallery 5 and other venues? :alc:

Hey Burt !

Did you catch us in the Times Dispatch paper Sunday, Flair Section? We hosted the Red Dawg Affair Fundraiser. What a party is was.

I havn't caught it yet but will get it from the printer in a few days....

We've been hosting fundraisers for the past several weeks, William Fox Elementary was this weekend, Red Dawg Last week and Maggie Walker Gov school the weeks prior. We've had the Gov, and Mayor in the past few weeks and some Senators to boot.

What a month! :alc:

• 2 weeks later...

Michael M. Kaiser, President of the JFK Center for the Performing Arts in DC, will speak at The Modlin Center at U of R Thursday night at 7:30PM (in the Alice Jepson Theatre).

His topic will be "Marketing the Arts: The Secret Weapon".

Admission is free and if I'm not otherwise engaged that evening, I'd like to attend.

Don't forget, francophiles and movie buffs: VCU's Annual French Film Festival begins Friday at the beautiful Byrd Theatre in Carytown;

See below And BE SURE to click on the website provided for an added treat. :)

http://eventsearch.mgnetwork.com/index.cfm...&siteid=DRR

and we are part of it on Saturday at the Renaissance Conference Center.... :good:

That's great Jon... Burt, I really like the link, because it shows the interior of the Byrd.

http://www.frenchfilm.vcu.edu/

Won't you be in Richmond that weekend? What a great weekend to be in Richmond. Tons of stuff going on. I'll be in town for the 10k!

As will I! What wing are you running in? I'll hopefuly check out some French Film too.

Thanks to Daniel Neman, movie critic at The Times Dispatch, here is the schedule and times of showings at the Byrd Theater during the French Film Festival -- which, incidentally, begins on Wednesday:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...;oasPN=%21flair

This is a film festival that is coveted by larger cities. The Charlotte critic last year indicated that the Queen City would kill to have something as distinguished in his home town. :)

Viva VCU!! :yahoo:

Archived