Richmond Events

burt

Actually Burt... it worked just in time. I started watching at 9:22. Was that you moving the camera to the city while the action was going on? Or to the canal? And someone needs to kill that spider that kept going back and forth across the camera...

I'm sure they lined Libby Hill... it looked like a lot was going on up there today. They would also have gotten a good view from Powhatan Hill Park and maybe even Oregon Hill.

It looked like they had set Ancarrow's Landing on fire... no wonder the cop made me turn back....

Nope, it wasn't me jiggling the camera around. I found a good spot on the James River site and just stayed there aimed at the docks. Was afraid if I moved it around I'd lose the pix altogether.

I'm curious -- how many viewers can use the site at one time? I've discovered that I can access it easier on Internet Explorer than via aol.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha.. you should have heard me on my break at work yelling at the screen.. GO BACK! GO BACK! UP! UP! ZOOM OUT!!!

Thanks Coupe. I heard they had about 40,000 people altogether for the week. I wonder if they just saw me several times? I heard that both Friday and Saturday I missed the real crowds who came later at night.

I went by today and sadly, all the ships were gone... and Eagle One is still tossed to the side. The Naval boat was still there though and they were taking down the railings.

From Saturday afternoon.

DSCF0563.jpg

DSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSCF0569.jpg

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0571.jpg

DSCF0572.jpg

DSCF0576.jpg

DSCF0579.jpg

DSCF0585.jpg

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0590.jpg

DSCF0592.jpg

DSCF0593.jpg

DSCF0601.jpg

DSCF0602.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0609.jpg

DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF0619.jpg

DSCF0624.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

It was just for the event since the Int. Terminal is too high for the ships. They were starting to dismantle them yesterday. By far the most popular ship seemed to be the Kalmar Nyckel, the Swedish took to America to establish New Sweden. I think the kids were attracted to it because it was the largest ship and it looked like it came from Pirates of the Caribbean. :lol:

People were still showing up yesterday looking for the ships... sadly things have returned to normal.

One thing I hope people walked away from this event thinking, is... it was very successful, it was held in the East End with no crime or anything bad happening. Yet I did hear someone at the Rocketts booth explaining to a couple that they were only safe at Rocketts and the Far West End... WHAT?!

It was just for the event since the Int. Terminal is too high for the ships. They were starting to dismantle them yesterday. By far the most popular ship seemed to be the Kalmar Nyckel, the Swedish took to America to establish New Sweden. I think the kids were attracted to it because it was the largest ship and it looked like it came from Pirates of the Caribbean. :lol:

People were still showing up yesterday looking for the ships... sadly things have returned to normal.

One thing I hope people walked away from this event thinking, is... it was very successful, it was held in the East End with no crime or anything bad happening. Yet I did hear someone at the Rocketts booth explaining to a couple that they were only safe at Rocketts and the Far West End... WHAT?!

Pffft... some people are simply clueless. That or they have the stereotypical suburbanite grudge against downtown. A shame someone from the development is trying to spread these falsehoods around.

It was probably just a ploy to sell Rockett's, though an unfair one to say the least.

Cam, I agree about the success of the event. It seemed like it was more successful than they anticipated (the Roots concert was definitely underplanned for). Richmond has always wanted to capitalize on its Civil War history but doesn't seem to do a good job of promoting its earlier history. This event shows there is a demand for it, and hopefully we can tap into that on a more permanent basis in some way.

Go out and have fun tonight, boys and girls. The party begins at 6th and Broad at 5:30PM then you can strut and dance behing a brass band all the way to The Gallery District for the First Friday Art Walk.

Wish I could be there.

What if when Rocketts was done (just an idea) one of these ships were to remain permanently docked at the City Marina/Rocketts Marinas. I think it'd be a cool attraction to have..maybe even at Echo's Harbour. Is it feasible?

Well I apologize Burt but my dinner date definitely couldn't make the groundbreaking and there's no sense going into town briefly, being where we'll be in a short while, coming all the way back to pick her up, then coming back into town. I'm sure the paper will at the very least give a nice report on the activities.

ALERT:

Changes in the pricing at the Beer Festival this weekend. Thanks to everyone's favorite state agency, the ABC board, the festival cannot offer the $25 unlimited drinks which has been the case for almost a decade. Instead, it's $15 for 9 6 oz. tasting tickets.

WE have the most backward outdated alcohol laws and officials around...

Archived