Richmond Events

burt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had one in Festival Park and I think they stopped in the 90s. I'd much rather have a regional celebration downtown along the canal and Browns Island to Tredegar which would include fireworks once again. Launching them from MSS would be nice in addition from the Manchester and/or Lee Bridges (kinda like Syndey's but we don't have an iconic bridge). Carytown's thing was a nice thought, but to me it represents something else than a regional Richmond tradition.

I predict it will become a regional Richmond tradition. The Carytown organizers have already said they will do it again next year - but maybe downtown will now be motivated to hold its own NYE celebration.

Great photo of the crowd, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this upcoming Mac Events home show that is being held at the convention center taking the place of the home show that in past years has been at RIR? If so, I think that's great sine folks might stick around and eat, etc. downtown afterwards.

If not, does that mean we have "dueling" home shows. If so, which is the better of the two?

jbjust, here's a story from today's TD about the Home Show now at the Convention Center. It ends today and about 15,000 are expected to attend the 3-day event.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...s=1045855934842

I don't know why I can't grasp this cut & paste thing! Sometimes it works and sometimes not. As you can see, this attempt was a failure. Check the Metro page at the TD if you want to read it.

I wonder if I delete "url=)" and just start with http:// it will work. Let's see.

:yahoo: HAHAHAHAHAHA. IT DID WORK!!! Now you can just click it. :)

This home show was a real disappointment -- it is much, much smaller than the one up at the raceway. I would love to see them merge the two shows and get everything at the Convention Center, but I would be worried about parking. The parking garage connected to the Convention Center was full and the show was certainly not packed.

This home show was a real disappointment -- it is much, much smaller than the one up at the raceway. I would love to see them merge the two shows and get everything at the Convention Center, but I would be worried about parking. The parking garage connected to the Convention Center was full and the show was certainly not packed.

When I went to the Festival of India at the Convention Center on a Sunday in October the place was jammed. There were lots of empty parking spaces on streets within four blocks but all meters were covered with hoods and "no parking" notices. I ended up finding a spot on Leigh between 8th and 9th. I certainly did not object to the short walk, but was irritated to see all those hooded, unused spaces closer to the Center.

I assume from your remarks, jbjust, that there are two different home shows?

• 2 weeks later...

Last night 500+ crammed into VCU's Singleton Center in The Fan to hear "wrap" artists Jeanne Claude and Christo speak about their successful artistic endeavors to "wrap" government building, natural wonders and even Central Park in colorful banners and materials.

These tremendous undertakings require months and years of preparation and are funded mostly by sales of the artists' works.

Their next project is to suspend "wrappings" across the Arkansas River in Colorado in material that will be translucent viewed from above, but will allow white-water rafters and others views of the sky. It won't be ready until 2011.

A remarkable couple!

I'm playing with a new band. I just met these guys two weeks ago and we've have a few practices. We're opening for Modern Groove Syndicate, Friday night at Cary Street Cafe. I'm guessing we'll play from about 10-11. I'm not sure if we have an official name yet. Maybe John Barnes Band, (guitar player's name).

Thanks Burt, interesting article. I'm unfortunately more toward the jam band end of the spectrum, where there is less loyalty, i.e. your base player moves to North Carolina. The least loyal musicians are in the Jazz genre. Its like a big orgy of music with them. Everybody plays with everybody.

I'm playing with a new band. I just met these guys two weeks ago and we've have a few practices. We're opening for Modern Groove Syndicate, Friday night at Cary Street Cafe. I'm guessing we'll play from about 10-11. I'm not sure if we have an official name yet. Maybe John Barnes Band, (guitar player's name).

Isn't McLawsdrive the name of your band? Is that disbanding and becoming (possibly) John Barnes?

Wish I could hear you Friday night (of course, I'd bring my old-man ear plugs to lower the decibels. I still love the old standards unamplified. :)

TONIGHT is first Friday in the gallery district centered around Broad from 1st to Belvidere. Hope all of you can get out, have fun, and keep warm. Have a good dinner in one of the excellent restaurants. Alphabetically, those that come to mind are:

BAR CODE, CHEZ FOUSHEE, COMFORT, LIFT, POPKIN TAVERN, TARRANT's CAFE and TWENTY SEVEN.

I believe our friend Jonbeattie has some activities going on at The Renaissance as well.

Over 4000 are expected at the Greater Richmond Convention Center this weekend for the 3rd Annual Monument City Classic, "a girls' travel volleyball tournament that has grown one and a half times its original size," reports Michael Martz in yesterday's RTD.

"With 184 teams and more than 2000 participants, the two-day tournament ranks as the biggest athletic event of the year at the convention center." Martz continues: "In addition to players and coaches, the tournament is expected to draw more than 2000 spectators, many of them from out of town."

John F. Berry, Jr., president and CEO of Greater Richmond Convention and Visitors Bureau, says the event is selling over 1000 hotel rooms each of the two nights of the tournament -- or as professionals call it, they will be filling 2000 hotel room nights.

"Downtown will sell out and everything to the airport" according to Joe Reardon, VP of sales and marketing for Shamin Hotels which owns 18 properties.

Marriott Hotels, of which there are ten in the region, has reported "a number of hotels completely sold out."

See Friday's TD for the complete story.

TONIGHT is first Friday in the gallery district centered around Broad from 1st to Belvidere. Hope all of you can get out, have fun, and keep warm. Have a good dinner in one of the excellent restaurants. Alphabetically, those that come to mind are:

BAR CODE, CHEZ FOUSHEE, COMFORT, LIFT, POPKIN TAVERN, TARRANT's CAFE and TWENTY SEVEN.

I believe our friend Jonbeattie has some activities going on at The Renaissance as well.

Thanks Burt for the mention, I wasn't sure if I could / should post activities that are open to the public or not.

We were host to Richmond Independant Radio (wrir) stations 2nd anniversary party. ( We participated last year ) There were over 700 folks enjoying some light nibbles and libations. 3 bands and 2 Dj's . Seemed all had a GRAND !! Time

This was as last year part of a First Friday events in the city. The local restaurants were jammed from what we saw, But I did not check 27, We still see some issues as we entertain clients there.. Food is not the problem however as my Boss tells me the waitress didn't notice that she delivered a very nice roast pork entree ( he ordered the chicken marsala ) until she returned to check tea near the end of the meal and still had a chicken that had not been delivered. ( Happily they boxed it to go, which made my meal during the RIR event. Rather tasty even after microwaving :D

Here are a couple of events going on this weekend:

1. The Richmond Ballet's big production of DON QUIXOTE accompanied by The Richmond Symphony Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Feb. 9, 10 & 11) at The Landmark Theatre. Tickets $8 to $100, Call 804/262-8100 or order thru www.ticketmaster.com.

2. Friday, Feb. 9th: Friday for the Arts - Petersburg's version of Richmond's First Friday. Monthly gallery openings; receptions; tours and entertainment in and around the Old Town section of Petersburg. There are several good restaurants in the area.

Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus rolls into town for eleven performances at The Richmond Coliseum beginning Wednesday, Feb. 14th and closing after an early performance on Monday, Feb. 19th. Tickets are priced from $15 to $85. Very often, special promotions and coupons provide cheaper seats at selected performances.

They used to make a big deal of parading the elephants and caged animals from the rail siding to the Coliseum. But PETA and others have put a damper on that and the parade is generally after dark, I think.

The circus will be coming from its previous engagement in Raleigh, so I suspect the train will arrive on CSX tracks and switch off at what's known as Rocketts rail junction (just south of the James) from CSX to Norfolk Southern trackage and lay over in the N/S yard between Mayo and Manchester Bridges. If so, the animals will walk from south Richmond across the Manchester bridge to the Coliseum. The next engagement is in Tennessee, so I would assume the circus train will head out on N/S via Midlothian, Lynchburg, Roanoke and Bristol.

The Times Dispatch tells us today that the Annual Circus Animal Walk will take place Monday, Feb. 12th at approximately 6PM. Rail traffic, scheduling with police, animal control and other officials and the needs of the animals may add or subtract 20 to 40 minutes from the schedule.

If you want to watch, the route for the elephants, horses and zebras will take the animals across the Manchester Bridge, up 9th Street, then west on Clay Street via the tunnel into the Coliseum.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1149193126451

Next Saturday, Feb. 17th, The Democrats are having their annual fund-raising event. Barack Obama, the charismatic presidential contender, will speak before a sold out crowd of 4000 at the Ballroom of the Greater Richmond Convention Center. Activities get underway at 7PM.

But Republicans have proposed legislation that would prohibit Democrats in a sitting General Assembly from attending a fund-raising event for their party.

As stupid as it sounds, the Republican proposal is a fact. :rolleyes: But that's not to say it has been enacted -- yet!!

TD Editorial

How good is the Virginia Opera's production of Handel's "Agrippina"? "It's worth a trip to Richmond," according to The Washington Post....

This weekend Richmonders are blessed. As The Post advises Washingtonians to take the hike down I-95, they can attend "Agrippina" in the neighborhood. The Virginia Opera peforms "Agrippina" at the Landmark tomorrow night and Sunday afternoon. Don't miss it.

Archived