Richmond Events

burt

Well the Strawberry Festival was a hit! Id say a couple thousand throughout the day. I didnt realize how close those train tracks were to the street. Almost had a heart attack when out of nowhere a train came around just to the left of my car :blink:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Y101 Birthday Bash mystery continues. Did it get too big for them to handle, and they just decided to let it die a quiet death? There are/were several references on their website to it being in May, but May came and went without the event occurring. I even wrote an email to the station asking what the status of the event was, and never got a reply. Anybody know anything?

This should be an awesome weekend in Richmond... Friday Cheers will be great, and Saturday is the River City Beer and Seafood Festival!

rivercitybeerlogo2006.jpg

12-9 on Brown's Island. Free admission, but it's $25 for a beer mug that gets you unlimited tastings. :thumbsup:

What:

Discover for yourself the difference between ale, lager and stout at the River City Beer and Seafood Festival. The event features craft and imported beer, great seafood and live music. Education has never tasted so good!

When:

June 10, 2006

Noon - 9 pm

Where:

Brown's Island

Who:

8,000 - 10,000 people annually attend

Admission:

Free (donations accepted)

Tasting mugs are available for purchase for people 21 and older. Mugs are $25.00 6-ounce tastings are unlimited.

City Celebrations

This should be an awesome weekend in Richmond... Friday Cheers will be great, and Saturday is the River City Beer and Seafood Festival!

12-9 on Brown's Island. Free admission, but it's $25 for a beer mug that gets you unlimited tastings. :thumbsup:

City Celebrations

Unfortunately, the last few years the "Beer Festival" portion has been very lackluster. The selection of participating brewers has been underwhelming and the best spaces have been given to crap macrobreweries like Anheuser-Busch. Further, the organizers put a limit of 1 brewery employee per station, so most of the people pouring your beer have no idea what they're pouring.

It was so much better when it was at the Farmer's Market several years ago.

did you go this weekend?

I enjoyed it... I was able to try a few beers I hadn't even heard of before, as well as some I hadn't had since I was in Wales last.

Beach Bum wasn't bad, and neither were a few of the imports I tried. The Sierra Nevada summer ale seemed to be a hit. They ran out of it by like 6pm.

Man Coupe, you're going to make Antoinette Essa fear for her job because you ARE the man about town! Is there any place you're not simultaneously at any given time?

Edit: sorry to sound ghetto... I didn't erase the word with the rest of the original sentence.

did you go this weekend?

I enjoyed it... I was able to try a few beers I hadn't even heard of before, as well as some I hadn't had since I was in Wales last.

Beach Bum wasn't bad, and neither were a few of the imports I tried. The Sierra Nevada summer ale seemed to be a hit. They ran out of it by like 6pm.

I had a great time this past Saturday. I went by myself and came out with 10 people that I had never before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty cool Celtic and Beer Festival this weekend at the Boulders sponsored by Legend's Brewery... 50 microbrews from around the country will be on tap. Admission is 20 in advance and 25 at the door, but the beer is unlimited all day. Live music and food too! 12-7 on Saturday and Sunday :thumbsup:

Also, the Wailer's play Saturday night at Innsbrook.

They already have their liquor license but from what I've been told there was a setback with the interior of the lady bird.... something to do with the electrical system. They might not be open inside for an event they have planned late next month, but I hope so.

They already have their liquor license but from what I've been told there was a setback with the interior of the lady bird.... something to do with the electrical system. They might not be open inside for an event they have planned late next month, but I hope so.

Here's hoping they get their act together. I think the Symphony's Kicked-back concert is scheduled there for September.

I understand there's to be a two-story waterfall inside the building.

Free Reggae show TONIGHT at BANK. Two guys in my band are also in a new Reggae band called the Transmitters. The guitar player from McLaws Drive plays keyboards in the Transmitters and the other guy plays percussion in both bands. I'm kind of pissed that they used their contacts with Mo Roman and other management to book the Transmitters and not McLaws Drive, considering we're a more established band, but I guess they are in more constant communication with each other and the bass player at least lives in the same state. Hopefully we'll get a date there soon. Anyway anyone who can should come out, no cover = more drinks :alc:

Good story in today's Flair by Cynthia McMullen about SPARC's local production of CATS. It is to open this coming Thursday at Maggie Walker Governors School, Leigh and Lombardy streets.

SPARC is an arts-related group that has attracted more than 1800 youths to theatre/music/dance/art related programs in six different locations across Metro. At its beginning, it had less than 20 neophytes. A number of its former participants have gone on to pursue careers in New York and Hollywood.

If you can get a seat at any of the 6 performances of CATS, show your support. :)

Burt, I thought you'd be pleased to hear that Toad's Place will be hosting the Richmond Symphony's Kicked Back concert series upon opening... maybe you'll be in town when it's going on?

I know, Coupe. Read my entry under Ric off topic dated 7/23 at 12:32pm.

I won't be in town until Sept. 30th and I believe the first concert in the symphony's kicked back series will have been held.

Dave Chappelle to perform in Richmond August 12th

He'll be at the Landmark Theatre :thumbsup:

And don't forget the American Idols concert Saturday night (7/29) at The Coliseum. It sold out in 45 minutes when tickets went on sale, so there's no chance you'll get in unless you were lucky enough to snare one of the approx 12,000 tickets. But there'll be plenty of "Elliott" mania all day Saturday beginning with (again sold out) a party at CHAMPPS in Stony Point Fashion Park; a related event at Short Pump Town Center and an after-concert bash at CHERRY LOUNGE, 4th and Grace (also known as THE MATRIXX ROOM). Mama Yamin, also known as Claudette, will be appearing at some of these events and JUST POSSIBLY, Elliott and some of his AI friends will show up at the post-concert event at CHERRY LOUNGE.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday (the day after tomorrow) there'll be big goings-on uptown! The annual WATER MELLON Festival, which is expected to attract 100,000 visitors, will take place along 4 blocks of Carytown. There will be arts, crafts, sidewalk sales, and plenty of free events, plus lots of music, on 10 stages. Probably also lots of washing of faces with water mellon rinds. :lol:

Archived