Richmond Events

burt

Well, I'm glad you kept the old name for the new band, McLaw!

I suppose the ticket price also includes admission to the Gardens. I bet a lot of Richmonders have never visited Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. If you haven't, you're in for a visual treat -- and an aural one if you pop in next Thursday about 5:30PM.

Wish I could be there to hear you, McLaw!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chimborozo has no view of the river. Libby Hill will be the place to watch it come sailing up... too bad I can't be in two places at the same time because I'd also like to be right at the terminal. Anyone going?

They've cleared away the fences and the concrete things. The river looked extra wide today. I'll put up the pics after I get them uploaded.

Well, I'm glad you kept the old name for the new band, McLaw!

I suppose the ticket price also includes admission to the Gardens. I bet a lot of Richmonders have never visited Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. If you haven't, you're in for a visual treat -- and an aural one if you pop in next Thursday about 5:30PM.

Wish I could be there to hear you, McLaw!

Thanks Burt. Actually this is the old band. Thats why its the same name. New band doesn't quite have the connections yet, or a name :rolleyes:

Chimborozo has no view of the river. Libby Hill will be the place to watch it come sailing up... too bad I can't be in two places at the same time because I'd also like to be right at the terminal. Anyone going?

They've cleared away the fences and the concrete things. The river looked extra wide today. I'll put up the pics after I get them uploaded.

I didn't realize that Chimborazza doesn't provide a good view of the river. But I do remember the overall views from there are exhilarating.

Looking forward to your pix of the ship arrivals. Why can't you take shots of them moving up stream from Libby Hill and then drive down to the dock for close-up?

Yes, lot's of pics, please, as I will be stuck in the traffic-congestion-hell that is Charlottesville.

Charlottesville doesn't have a lot of traffic!...Unless it has changed in the past couple of years. I knew Charlottesville was growing, but has it grown that much?

Charlottesville doesn't have a lot of traffic!...Unless it has changed in the past couple of years. I knew Charlottesville was growing, but has it grown that much?

It has grown a lot, all on Rt. 29. The roads from the 29/250 bypass are too narrow for the traffic that pours into the 8-10 lane stretch through their "Broad St." This is the result of piling all of Charlottesville's suburbs into one section.

Please connect C-ville to Richmond via commuter rail! You would be amazed at how many of us travel from Richmond to work and vice versa.

There used to be commuter rail in my youth. Only problem, it took about 2 hours each direction because of the rail routes. It goes north to Doswell (near Kings Dominion) from Main Street Station, then swings west thru Beaverdam, Louisa and Gordonsville, thence south to C'ville. There was one train daily in each direction, plus several luxury trains to Cincinnatti and Chicago that ran express Newport News/Richmond/C'ville.

There was also commuter rail along the Maidens line from MSS to Scottsville and Lynchburg. In summertime, we kids who used to skinny dip in the canal near Byrd Park would moon passing trains on that line. :lol:

There used to be commuter rail in my youth. Only problem, it took about 2 hours each direction because of the rail routes. It goes north to Doswell (near Kings Dominion) from Main Street Station, then swings west thru Beaverdam, Louisa and Gordonsville, thence south to C'ville. There was one train daily in each direction, plus several luxury trains to Cincinnatti and Chicago that ran express Newport News/Richmond/C'ville.

There was also commuter rail along the Maidens line from MSS to Scottsville and Lynchburg. In summertime, we kids who used to skinny dip in the canal near Byrd Park would moon passing trains on that line. :lol:

Yes, Burt, we all know railroads were a hot commodity back when they were still steam engines :P

Yes, Burt, we all know railroads were a hot commodity back when they were still steam engines :P

Hahaha. Oddly, the train to Lynchburg was not steam-powered. It was two diesel cars in tandem with no engine. What's more, that consist, after unloading at MSS, continued on to Newport News.

I didn't realize that Chimborazza doesn't provide a good view of the river. But I do remember the overall views from there are exhilarating.

Looking forward to your pix of the ship arrivals. Why can't you take shots of them moving up stream from Libby Hill and then drive down to the dock for close-up?

The view is still grand and panoramic from on top of the Equadorian mountain in Richmond, but I really wish we'd keep our parks up. There's more to Chimborozo than the top of the hill. Those darn tree-of-heavens keep sprouting up trying to block the view. I took pic the other day from there scouting out my perch. I will get some from the hill and drive down. They even put wooden posts at the terminal.

This weekend, a personal favorite:

23rd annual Lebanese Food Festival

Lebanon is a very diverse Country made up of Muslims, Christians and another sect, the name of which I can't recall at the moment (though I think it is Christian-related). There was a delightful tour of Beirut on Public TV the other night. French, Arabic and English are spoken throughout the land; many streets in Beirut are printed in French (it was once called "The Paris of the Mideast). Even American Rap has taken hold in the streets of the Old Quarters. There is a thriving night life in the non-Muslim areas.

Weather-wise, one can go from the palm lined Mediterranean shore to snow-capped mountains in an hour.

And yep; as Coupe points out, good food, too.

Lebanon is a very diverse Country made up of Muslims, Christians and another sect, the name of which I can't recall at the moment (though I think it is Christian-related).

I would imagine you're thinking of the Druze, who are an offshoot of a sect of Shi'ite Islam.

I think many people would be surprised to find out how many Greek and Italian restaurants in this country are actually run by Lebanese.

I would imagine you're thinking of the Druze, who are an offshoot of a sect of Shi'ite Islam.

I think many people would be surprised to find out how many Greek and Italian restaurants in this country are actually run by Lebanese.

I've heard of The Druze, but the sect I'm speaking of is, I'm sure, Christian-related. I sat next to a young lady on a train to Richmond several years ago who practices that religion. It's not Coptic, but I believe it begins with a "C". Anyway, I'm almost certain it is not Islamic, but don't trust the old man's memory -- or accuracy! :)

While on the Mideast subject, BGW, what (or who) are Asyrians as opposed to Syrians?

I've heard of The Druze, but the sect I'm speaking of is, I'm sure, Christian-related. I sat next to a young lady on a train to Richmond several years ago who practices that religion. It's not Coptic, but I believe it begins with a "C". Anyway, I'm almost certain it is not Islamic, but don't trust the old man's memory -- or accuracy! :)

While on the Mideast subject, BGW, what (or who) are Asyrians as opposed to Syrians?

I believe, that Assyrians are more decendants of the Mesopotanian region (ancient Babylon, etc.), usually more Christian, where Syrians are more specific to the nation of Syria and have no specific religion.

Maronites Burt?

There is a large Maronite population in Lebanon, but Maronites are Christians (Eastern Catholic), not merely Christian-related.

I've heard of The Druze, but the sect I'm speaking of is, I'm sure, Christian-related. I sat next to a young lady on a train to Richmond several years ago who practices that religion. It's not Coptic, but I believe it begins with a "C". Anyway, I'm almost certain it is not Islamic, but don't trust the old man's memory -- or accuracy! smile.gif

I can't think of a C-word that's christian-related...

This is all from long-neglected memory, so I may be a tad off, but...Assyria was basically the northern half of what we thought of as Mesopotamia (Babylon was to the south), stretching from (modern-day) eastern Turkey & Egypt west to somewhere around the Caspian. The lands that comprise Syria ("modern" Syria as well as historical Syria) were part of Assyria. My overtaxed brain can't recall much about Assyrian religion, but I tend to disagree with Ice's assertion that Syrians have no specific religion. Like most of the Arab Middle East, Syrians are overwhelmingly Sunni Muslim, with smaller numbers of other Muslim sects and Christians.

OK, that's all I've got. Brain = fried.

There is a large Maronite population in Lebanon, but Maronites are Christians (Eastern Catholic), not merely Christian-related.

I can't think of a C-word that's christian-related...

This is all from long-neglected memory, so I may be a tad off, but...Assyria was basically the northern half of what we thought of as Mesopotamia (Babylon was to the south), stretching from (modern-day) eastern Turkey & Egypt west to somewhere around the Caspian. The lands that comprise Syria ("modern" Syria as well as historical Syria) were part of Assyria. My overtaxed brain can't recall much about Assyrian religion, but I tend to disagree with Ice's assertion that Syrians have no specific religion. Like most of the Arab Middle East, Syrians are overwhelmingly Sunni Muslim, with smaller numbers of other Muslim sects and Christians.

OK, that's all I've got. Brain = fried.

Was more of an educated guess. I need to catch back up on my middle eastern history. :dontknow:

Archived