Richmond Events

burt

As will I! What wing are you running in? I'll hopefuly check out some French Film too.

Sorry.. overlooked this. Well since I apparently didn't choose a group to run in, I'll be in group Q... I think the only group behind that is the walkers :lol: Ahh maybe it will be a good thing though. I just got over a bad cold and I was pretty lazy before that anyways.

Speaking of the 10k, that expo at the Arthur Ashe center was pretty cool today.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You go ahead and run, but you won't see me running unless I'm running from something! :silly: Walk? Nah, if I can't stop and take pics and wander my own path, it's not for me. But good luck. Beat those Kenyans! ... cause you know they will be there.

When I was in town last weekend, several people mentioned that they hadn't heard anything about a Monument Avenue Easter Parade this year.

Well, Venture Richmond has just assured us that the parade/event will take place Easter Sunday on Monument Avnue between Davis and Allen.

• 2 weeks later...

According to a story in River City Rapids by Jon Baliles, Governor Kaine has proclaimed a state-wide day of mourning and a Memorial gathering is planned at noon on Friday, April 20th in Monroe Park.

I'm sure there will be a sea of burgandy and orange attire at this solemn event.

Remember: Noon, Friday (tomorrow), April 20th -- Monroe Park on the VCU campus in Richmond.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a passing observation: It seems to me that the Richmond Coliseum is getting more concerts than usual this year.

I don't remember the performers names, but there have been several listed in publications recently. TOOL is one of them.

Bet you guys and gals didn't know this much was going on in Richmond. :good:

There are two pages of announced events, but no mention of The National Theatre, though a few events for The National Folk Festival are listed.

As I mentioned above, you'll see quite a few concerts booked at The Coliseum as well as The Waybacks booked into Toads.

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=C...p;Date=07/05/07

Bet you guys and gals didn't know this much was going on in Richmond. :good:

There are two pages of announced events, but no mention of The National Theatre, though a few events for The National Folk Festival are listed.

As I mentioned above, you'll see quite a few concerts booked at The Coliseum as well as The Waybacks booked into Toads.

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=C...p;Date=07/05/07

There are some good names on that list. It's surprising to see Live and Hootie and the Blowfish playing at the Innsbrook Pavillion. Both are bands I like (Live, I actually saw in Richmond during the summer of 1997 at the Classic Ampl. - good show), but just surprises me that they would play at such a small venue. I guess they're not as popular as they used to be. Thanks for the link!

There's also some more bands for Toad's listed as well!

untitled1hi9.jpg

So we've got a C-list jam band, 2 retread '60s acts whose biggest stars aren't around, and a guy who was briefly in a second-tier 80s hair metal band.

I suspect the combined crowds for these shows wouldn't fill the place. This place needs to be booking bands like Wilco, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, either of Ben Gibbard's bands...bands that are too big for Alley Katz or Canal Club, but not big enough for Coliseum or Landmark shows. Instead, it's a bunch of bands that are more appropriate for the State Fair.

Great job, guys! :rolleyes:

toads place is having 2 bands that are pretty sweet, hawthorne heights and senses fail, both amazing bands. squirrel nut zippers are good too but kind of old

plus also less than jake and reel big fish are amazing

Hank, check out the threads on Toads and The National and add any info you've got. I don't recall reading about Hawthrone Heights and Senses Fail, but the others we know about from ongoing discussions.

It good to have you back among us. :)

If you're not going directly to the wharf, you'd probably get a better view from Chimborazzo Park. It's practically on top of the docks.

Chimborozo doesn't have a very good view of the river if I can remember. I don't think you can see it at all from there. I'll remind myself tomorrow or Sunday.

Not only the GODSPEED, but a three-vessel fleet of schooners will tie up at Intermediate Terminal on Thursday. The GODSPEED will be on display first at The Citie of Henricus (those of you who haven't been there should go sometime. Just the view of the river from the high bluff is worth the circuitous trip). Then on Wednesday, the production of the ship that carried settlers to Jamestown will sail up-stream to the Richmond docks where the Annabelle Lee used to berth.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....05-14-0121.html

After checking out the GODSPEED, consider heading over to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens for the Thursday- Groovin in the Garden Concert Series. This Thursday's headliner is Dickey Betts with his band Great Southern. If you are a fan of the Allman Brothers or are familiar with songs such as "Ramblin Man, Jessica, Southbound, Blue Sky and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed' than you've heard his music. He's a founding co-lead guitarist/singer/songwriter of the Allman Brothers.

Opening band will be yours truly, McLaws Drive. Gates open at 5:30. McLaws Drive starts at 6:00, Dickey Betts at around 8:00. Check out http://www.richmondconcerts.net/ for more info. Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the gate. Tickets are available online or at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden and Plan 9.

Archived