Richmond Events

burt

Prepare to start ROCKING THE BOAT day after tomorrow, Thursday, May 24th, 'cause that's when The Godspeed and three of four other schooners dock at the Intermediate Terminal on Ash Street (or Dock Street). One of the vessels will be delayed for mechanical reasons until Friday. There should be good views from Libby Hill of the upstream sail. In fact if the planned new condos were there, there would STILL be a good view from Libby Hill. The story is from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....05-22-0078.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few weeks ago, Theatre VCU presented their student production of SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE directed by a Broadway choreographer named Patti D'Beck who is also on VCU's teaching staff. It received rave reviews and sold out its three week run.

For any who haven't seen this fun musical with songs such as "Jailhouse Rock", "Love Potion #9", "Houndog", "Don't Be Cruel" and many others, here's your chance:

It is being revived at Raymond Hodges Theatre at the corner of Harrison and Park on the VCU campus; Performance times 7:30PM June 7-9, 14-16 and 21-23, with 3PM matinees on June 10, 17 and 24.

Tickets are only Twenty bucks; $18 if you're a senior or on the VCU staff; or as low as $8 for VCU students with valid ID.

Call the Box Office at 804/828-6026.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOOOOPS! HOLD ON, everyone. I just called the box office and got a recording that said due to out-of-town professional job offers to some of the cast, VCU has decided to CANCEL the June production of SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE.

Rats! And if I knew how to put up an emoticon while editing, I'd find a very sad one.

Why did they block off Dock from 22nd eastward for Rock the Boat? That's a lot to block off... I expected it lioned with vendors... but I basically saw an ice cream stand for food. Well I think I had missed the Ukrop's boxed lunches and there was a stand for beverages... but there's got to be more coming for the weekend right? They have the vacant blocks of Fulton, Echo Harbour's site, and CSX's land marked as parking. That's a ton of parking areas! I'll try to go again tomorrow to see what's new.

Why did they block off Dock from 22nd eastward for Rock the Boat? That's a lot to block off... I expected it lioned with vendors... but I basically saw an ice cream stand for food. Well I think I had missed the Ukrop's boxed lunches and there was a stand for beverages... but there's got to be more coming for the weekend right? They have the vacant blocks of Fulton, Echo Harbour's site, and CSX's land marked as parking. That's a ton of parking areas! I'll try to go again tomorrow to see what's new.

Yea, Cam. A story today said that attendants were on site to direct people to parking, but that many are parking as far as a mile away and walking when it is not necessary.

Since Richmond CenterStage groundbreaking is the preliminary focus on Friday, June 1st, I have posted info about it and the subsequent First Fridays festivities at the tag end of the Virginia Performing Arts Center thread.

I've also included a list or restaurants in the area.

5/25/07

There were more people and finally more food... could have been more... let's see what today has.

DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

DSCF0518.jpg

DSCF0521.jpg

DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0537.jpg

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0541.jpg

DSCF0543.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

DSCF0562.jpg

I would love to have several of these ships call Richmond home!

More than 10,000 turned out last night for the concert by ROOTS down on the docks.

Tonight is the culmination of the Godspeed's visit and ROCK THE BOAT celebration.

A huge fireworks display, perhaps the largest ever seen in Virginia's history, will follow a concert by The Richmond Symphony scheduled to begin at 8PM. The fireworks display will start about 9PM.

During the Symphony's performance of The 1812 Overture, observers will hear large canon-like explosions coming right on cue from the fireworks site across the river. Do not mistake it for the big show to come at nine o'clock!

The fireworks staging area is a sandy plot slightly downstream of The Godspeed on the southern shore of The James east of Ancarrow boatslip.

This story is from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/rockthe...05-26-0143.html

If any of you who are going to attend and have web cams, please post the videos here when you can.

Here's more of what will be going on today and tonight at the city docks:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....05-26-0148.html

I'll have to sneak away from the phone, try to find the access to the roof, fight off some security people, and look eastward! *Plays Indiana Jones theme*

The only problem I have with working 3 to midnight is missing things like this. Maybe I'll try Vista's webcam!

However, my mother, aunt, and I are going down now. I'll have to leave for my trek up to Innsbrook at 2:30.

I have photos from the Roots concert. Video too though it's a little grainy and the sound isn't the best because of the bass. I'll post them soon.

Great! Look forward to the pix and video.

Are you going tonight?

Just visited Vistas cam and it looks pretty hazy, especially near the docks. There are lots of people on the wharf and many boats running up and down the river.

The Richmond port hasn't been this busy since 1860! :yahoo: (And no, that's not from personal memory).

I just took a look and zoomed in on the ships! It looks like a storm to the east, or maybe the camera's image darkened? I'll check the radar.

I really wish the Intermediate Terminal could have permanent ships like those. They fit so well here! As my mother said, if only we could find a way to make a profit from it. And poor Eagle One was shoved to the side... do people really ride it?

I just took a look and zoomed in on the ships! It looks like a storm to the east, or maybe the camera's image darkened? I'll check the radar.

I really wish the Intermediate Terminal could have permanent ships like those. They fit so well here! As my mother said, if only we could find a way to make a profit from it. And poor Eagle One was shoved to the side... do people really ride it?

Hope it doesn't rain, but the wind is really whipping Vista's live cam around. Hope I can get on the site around 9 o'clock to see the fireworks.

The Eagle does charter cruises only, I have been told, and does a goodly amount of business. I'm surprised they didn't load up with passengers today and ply the waters near the other ships. They could have filled up every hour or so.

:yahoo: I watched the whole thing, thanks to the Vistas live cam! :) It was almost as good as being at the Macy's July 4th fireworks display on the East River. Probably would have been as good or better if I could have heard the music and sound.

Beautiful. You didn't wait long enough, Cam. It started about 9:18.

I hope coupe video-taped it and can put it up here.

Was there a huge crowd? I bet they lined Libby and Chimborazzo Hills.

Actually Burt... it worked just in time. I started watching at 9:22. Was that you moving the camera to the city while the action was going on? Or to the canal? And someone needs to kill that spider that kept going back and forth across the camera...

I'm sure they lined Libby Hill... it looked like a lot was going on up there today. They would also have gotten a good view from Powhatan Hill Park and maybe even Oregon Hill.

It looked like they had set Ancarrow's Landing on fire... no wonder the cop made me turn back....

I know this will be an exasperating question, but what and where does one click to activate the video?

If I can figure out how to get it going I'd definitely like to see all the video you've got on Friday night's concert.

Great still shots, Coupe. Thanks.

Who went last night?

Archived