Richmond Events

burt

Who amongst our readers was at yesterday's Watermellon Festival in Carytown?

The TD irritates me when they do stories on these festivals and other events and fail to estimate crowd sizes. I am an attendance-numbers freak!

What was your take on it folks?

Co-incidentally, I've heard rumors that the City of Cary, N.C. (Metro Raleigh) is jealous of Richmond's Carytown appelation and covets it.

Phooey! Our Cary Street came along before their city!

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in case anyone is interested, these are some upcoming events on the canal and riverfront:

River District Schedule of Events 2006

Brought to you by Renaissance Partners

September:

Continuing Events in September

Thursday Growers' Market

17th Street Farmers' Market, Free admission, 8:30am-2pm

Farm fresh, homegrown, homemade and handcrafted. For more information call 646-0310 or visit www.17thstreetfarmersmarket.com

Thursday Capital Ale House Community Chest Night

623 E. Main St., Free admission, 7:00pm-1:30am

Each week a non-profit group from the Richmond community receives 50 cents from every small draft beer and $1 from every large draft beer. They have been doing this for many years and have been able to donate tens of thousands of dollars back to our community. Come be a part of Community Chest Night at Capital Ale House downtown! For more information call Rachel at 218-4424.

Saturday Market

17th Street Farmers' Market, Free admission, 9am-3pm

Locally grown produce, flowers, meats, baked goods, imports, collectibles and fine crafts. For more information call 646-0310 or visit www.17thstreetfarmersmarket.com

Sunday Shockoe Flea Market

17th Street Farmers' Market, Free admission, 9am-4pm

Antiques, collectibles and fine crafts. For more information call 646-0310 or visit www.17thstreetfarmersmarket.com

Richmond Canal Cruises

Canal Turning Basin - Dock and 14th Streets, Thursday-Saturday Noon-7pm, Sunday Noon-5pm, $5 adults, $4 seniors & children 5-12, age 4 and under free with adult

35-minute historically narrated tours of the James River & Kanawha Canal along Richmond's Canal Walk. Tour begins every hour on the hour. Private charters available. For more information call 788-6466 or visit www.richmondriverfront.org.

Haunts of Richmond Walking Ghost Tours

11 N. 18th Street, Fridays & Saturdays at 9pm or by appointment, $15 per person - group rates for 6 or more.

One hour walking tour of Richmond's oldest and most haunted neighborhood. Explore the dark side of the capitol city's history as you hear local ghost stories and legends associated with the sites on the tour. You may even spot a ghost yourself! For more information call 343-3700 or visit www.hauntsofrichmond.com.

Special Events in September

Thursday, September 7th Miller Lite Rock n' Racing

Brown's Island, Free admission, Gates open at 5:30pm, Opening band at 6:30pm, Headliner at 8pm

The Black Crowes play a free show limited to the first 9,500 race fans the weekend of the Chevy Rock & Roll 400 at Richmond International Raceway! For more information call 864-9555 or visit www.nightlifevirginia.com.

Saturday, September 9th Mercado

17th Street Farmers' Market, Free admission, 2-7pm

Mercado Latin Market presented by Philip Morris USA and Dominion showcases Cuban ensemble Timbason. Performing their genre-breaking repertoire of Salsa, Son, Reggaeton, Cha Cha, Timba, and Cumbia, the band will set the stage alight from 5-7pm. Well known DJ Omar Gonzalez will spin the latest the Salsa as well as classics. September's Mercado also features an art show displaying works by Mexican and Guatemalan children from the Chesterfield County 4-H Club, and a live action demonstration of exercise & self-defense techniques by Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu School! Free kids art activities by Polka Dot Arts round out the afternoon's family activities. Vendors will sell West African dishes, tamales and enchiladas, hand-dipped ice cream, handmade art, beautiful ceramics, fresh baked goods, unusual jewelry, and natural bath and body products. For more information call 646-0310 or see www.17thstreetfarmersmarket.com.

Sunday, September 10th Rainmaker Festival 2006

Legend Pub and Brewery (321 W. 7th St.), $10, 1pm-10pm

The Rainmaker Festival's mission is to raise funds for individuals in emergency need as well as for organizations committed to assisting families and children, and to promote community fellowship through the enjoyment of quality roots and Americana music. Eleven bands will play on indoor and outdoor stages, including Page Wilson with Reckless Abandon, Brad Spivey and the Honky Tonk Experience, The Slack Family, The Taters, Big Boss Combo and many more! This year's festival features a "Creative Kids" play and music area. Rain or Shine. For more information call 398-8488 or visit www.rainmakerfest.com.

Saturday, September 16th Qu

:lol: As we out-of-towners, Eric and I, keep you guys up to date on goings-on in Richmond, let's not forget that Friday and Saturday of this week is RACE WEEK-END. 107,000 tickets have been pre-sold for the NASCAR event at RIR. If you're not among the SRO crowd you can watch it on TNT Saturday at 7:30PM.

I wish the Canal boat tours ran later in the evening. When the tours first started, a friend and I caught the last scheduled trip one evening at about 10PM. You get quite a different perspective of the city after dark from one of the boats.

The Haunts of Richmond Walking Tours, beginning from Market Villas at 11 N. 18th street used to have (and I hope still does) a familiar participant. He is Scott Berger, known and missed by a lot of RCW readers as Scottb.

And the colorful Beer Gnome, another sometime contributor to RCW, is a major honcho at Legend Pub and Brewery at 321 WEST 7th street in Manchester. He'll probably be on hand for The Rainmaker Festival on Sunday, Sept. 10th. Legend is the bar with the famous skyline view of Richmond.

:lol: As we out-of-towners, Eric and I, keep you guys up to date on goings-on in Richmond, let's not forget that Friday and Saturday of this week is RACE WEEK-END. 107,000 tickets have been pre-sold for the NASCAR event at RIR. If you're not among the SRO crowd you can watch it on TNT Saturday at 7:30PM.

I wish the Canal boat tours ran later in the evening. When the tours first started, a friend and I caught the last scheduled trip one evening at about 10PM. You get quite a different perspective of the city after dark from one of the boats.

The Haunts of Richmond Walking Tours, beginning from Market Villas at 11 N. 18th street used to have (and I hope still does) a familiar participant. He is Scott Berger, known and missed by a lot of RCW readers as Scottb.

And the colorful Beer Gnome, another sometime contributor to RCW, is a major honcho at Legend Pub and Brewery at 321 WEST 7th street in Manchester. He'll probably be on hand for The Rainmaker Festival on Sunday, Sept. 10th. Legend is the bar with the famous skyline view of Richmond.

I have yet to find a reason other than to say hello to visit Legend. I've seen some of the ghosts tourists last year... maybe I'll do it this year. Oh boy, the races... just when I thought it was safe and cool to open my window...

I know this is :offtopic:, but I've got to know:

He's no longer around on RCW? Why? Now that you've mentioned it, I don't recall seeing any posts from him in a while.

Eric: Scottb "resigned" from RCW. Go to RCW's City Council Agenda & Issues thread, then hit page 6 under Kjellberg vs. Pantele and you'll see Scottb's entry dated Sat., Aug. 19th at 10:15PM.

And while Ryan demurred, I believe he finally honored Scottb's request to have his account deleted.

When you consider that he harrangued issues and people probably more than anyone else (with the possible exception of Don Harrison), it was nonetheless sad to see him apologize and withdraw.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow, Saturday, September 16th is QUE PASA FESTIVAL day on Brown's Island. Ban Caribe and Bio Ritmo will serve up music and there will be arts & crafts, games, folklorico dancing and food from Cuba, Brazil and Mexico. Open from 12 Noon til 8PM. Admission at the gate Saturday is $8.00, but if you purchase tickets today, they are available for $5.00. :alc:

It looks like you have a bunch of festivals coming up this weekend in Richmond.

The annual Armenian Food Festival thru Sunday at St. James Armenian Church at corner of Patterson and Pepper avenues.

German Oktober Fest at Capital Ale House West, today and tomorrow at Innsbrook. There'll be a 4500 s/f tent to shelter polka music by The Continentals and clogging by Hirschjager German dancers. I'm sure the downtown bar will welcome revelers as well.

St. Benedict Catholic Church at Belmont and Hanover avenues will also host an Oktober Fest with music, food and dancing. Tomorrow (Saturday) only from 11am to 8pm.

And then there's River City Rocks - a benefit for the starving in Dafur. It is being held from noon to 8pm tomorrow (Saturday) on Brown's Island. Kinda expensive ($20 in advance, $25 at the gate), but there'll be 8 bands and 8 comedians from across America to raise funds for the Save Dafur Coalition.

Then there's "Gran Festival Musicale" at The Showplace on Mechanicsville Tpk sponsored by local Spanish radio stations WVNZ and WTOX. There'll be music by Dinastia Norte, Grupo Xtreme and Baby Ranks and pony rides, games and a petting zoo for los ninos y las ninas. $20 at the door.

The Imax Dome at the Science Museum opens today with "Wired to Win: Surviving the Tour de France" on its gigantic all-enveloping screen.

And U of R has an International Film Series starting today continuing in various campus venues thru Nov. 4. For details, http://library.richmond.edu/information/sm...eo/int_film.htm.

VCU will show Arabic films at The Grace Street Theatre, 934 W. Grace Street, starting with "Comedy Middle Eastern Style" tonight at 9:30pm followed tomorrow by "All About Dafur" at 1:00pm and "Iraq in Fragments" at 6:00pm. A question/answer session will follow tomorrow's films.

The China/American Festival of Film and Culture will offer events at U of R, VCU and the Byrd Theatre next Thursday thru Saturday, Sept. 30th.

A 3-part course on China begins at 6:30pm Monday at U of R's Jepson Hall. Reserve space at 804/287-6344.

Grace Young, author of "The Breath of a Wok" will present a cooking demonstration and tasting Thursday, Sept. 28 at 11.00am in VCU's Siegel Center, Harrison at Broad street. Tickets $30 by calling 804/285-7408.

Check www.therosegroup.org/caffc. for more info on China-related events.

WHEW!!! This posting wore me out. :lol: And don't even ASK how I managed to underscore that looooong web site!

Genworth Financial Children's Advantage Classic!

childrens_classic_logo_500.jpg

This is an awesome event that goes to a great cause... It sells out the Siegel Center every year.

Genworth Foundation is committed to supporting programs that benefit the community and is pleased to sponsor the 2006 Genworth Children's Advantage Classic. The Classic returns to Richmond for a second year and we invite you to join us on Friday, December 8, 2006 at the Alltel Pavilion at the VCU Stuart C. Siegel Center to watch world-class tennis played by some of the best in the game!

Tennis fans will be treated to an all-star mixed doubles match featuring tennis hall of famer Steffi Graf who will pair up with husband Andre Agassi against three-time Grand Slam champ Lindsay Davenport and top-ranked James Blake. Immediately following the mixed doubles match, Andre Agassi and James Blake will go head-to-head in an exciting men's pro-set match. The players will compete for charity in these two exciting tennis exhibition matches. Genworth Foundation will donate one hundred percent of the proceeds from this event to nine deserving local charities that provide life-enriching programs for Richmond

STATE FAIR!!!! Starts tomorrow through October 8!

This year I have to go. Still not sure when the last year will be for it in Richmond. They showed the layout of the Caroline State Fairgrounds and it looks nice. THink RIR would allow Henrico or Richmond or both combined to have our own fair, maybe in early summer since Chesterfield has theirs in late summer and the State Fair in the fall will be up the highway?

6th Year of First Friday's Artwalk kicks off this Friday

First Friday's will also be Year Round now... including the summer months :thumbsup:

Around 20 galleries on or near Broad will have openings...

As the monthly night out has gained popularity, non-sanctioned vendors have begun selling their wares, and restaurants along the strip will be open later....

Most will offer food and drink (both alcoholic and non). Sections of North Adams Street and Brook Road will be closed to traffic and a stage will host Hispanic dance and music -- including Bio Ritmo and the Latin Ballet of Virginia.

"It's a fun ambiance, a party atmosphere," said Aimee Kock, an administrator at 1708 Gallery on Broad Street. "I used to live in New York City, and I'm impressed with the crowd."......

Newton expects the event, which could draw 10,000 tomorrow, to continue contributing to the area's renaissance. "It's shocking. Every time I go out on Broad Street, I'm stunned."

I might be in Richmond this Friday again, so I may try to go...

Let's not forget about the Richmond Beer Run tomorrow. It's a 5K that hits up many of the downtown watering holes along the way!

A 5K run/walk through the Financial District, down the Slip, across the Mayo Bridge, along the Floodwall, back over the Manchester Bridge and returning through the Financial District. All while making stops for local microbrews and international beers.

Let's not forget about the Richmond Beer Run tomorrow. It's a 5K that hits up many of the downtown watering holes along the way!

And there will be a lot of water in them holes this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

YUMMMM It's back !

Brunswick Stew Festival

Picture%203.png

Richmond, VA- On Saturday, November 4, 2006 Ukrop's and First Market Bank present the 7th Annual Brunswick Stew Festival from 11 am to 4 pm at the 17th Street Farmers' Market in Shockoe Bottom on 17th Street between Main and Franklin Streets.

Stew masters from across the South, including Virginia's own Brunswick County, come with their crews and their enormous pots.....

Archived