Richmond Events

burt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My band, McLaws Drive will perform at Cary St. Cafe tomorrow, Friday the 13th at 10 pm. If anyone gets in touch with Burt, please remind him, he was going to try to make it to the show.

Damn, McLaw. I did not hear about this. Really sorry to have missed it. I thought you said back in September the October date had been cancelled.

The National Folk Festival was a total delight. I went three times and met Coupe and Tburban at the Saturday session.

A few suggestions: Turn on the damned fountains and raise banners on those damned poles. I was told that the poles are really "vents" for and/or from the canal, but even so, they can be adorned.

Boats should be operating. I suggested this to my esteemed canal tour guide and he assured me that the larger boats can be transported by truck to the Haxall. There is one shallow spot that would require excellent steerage, but he agreed that it is doable.

End of my beotching. I LOVED the festival. The weather (as noted in Coupe's and Tommy's excellent photos) could not have been better.

I hope I'm still alive for next year finale. Can't wait!

Burt, my gut tells me that the vent reasoning is wrong. After thinking about it, I've never seen vents looking like flagpoles plus, what the hell does the canal need vents for in the first place? Maybe we can figure it out once and for all soon.

Even if paddle/pedal boats were permitted on the Haxall, it would be a great step in the right direction.

Burt, my gut tells me that the vent reasoning is wrong. After thinking about it, I've never seen vents looking like flagpoles plus, what the hell does the canal need vents for in the first place? Maybe we can figure it out once and for all soon.

Even if paddle/pedal boats were permitted on the Haxall, it would be a great step in the right direction.

Right you are, Coupe. Richmond should present itself at its best not only during the National Folk Festival but as often as is possible. Jack Berry thought the Kanawa fountain was flowing during the festival, but it was dry when I drove by it. Why do you suppose the city (or whoever) turns them off more often than they're running? Jack did promise to look into the flag-pole situation. Hmmmm. We'll see on that one!

My guess for turning off the fountains is that the city doesn't want damage from freezing water in the winter months. Couldn't freezing water damage the pipes as it expands?

I've never known of a deep freeze in Richmond until November at earliest. And yes, I suppose a prolonged freeze could do damage. I'm going to keep my eye on fountains in New York this year and see if and when they are turned off.

Haha, a little out of the way, but Ill keep it in mind, thanks :)

Bring your skates to New York with you. Rockerfeller Center ice and the Wohlman rink in Central Park await you.

When Valentine Riverside was operating at Tredegar they had a small ice rink. Don't think it lasted very long, tho. Perhaps when the hole is filled soon at old Thalhimers they can install a rink there.

Bring your skates to New York with you. Rockerfeller Center ice and the Wohlman rink in Central Park await you.

When Valentine Riverside was operating at Tredegar they had a small ice rink. Don't think it lasted very long, tho. Perhaps when the hole is filled soon at old Thalhimers they can install a rink there.

Ahh, the memories of my youth. Unfortunately, I don't think Ill be headed into the city too much. Ill be out on Long Island for the most part.

Downtown's Grand Illumination

Friday, December 01, 2006 (6:00 PM-9:00 PM)

untitledlh3.png

The night begins at 5:55pm with a live countdown to turn on the outline lighting for 15 downtown buildings. Snow Queen will emcee the event as she sings and directs the show. The VMI Marching Band will perform holiday favorites leading up to the lighting of the REINDEER just before 6:30pm. Legendary Santa will give the countdown, the lights will come on and the VMI band will lead followers into Shockoe Slip. Next, Susan Greenbaum will take center stage and perform. Meanwhile, Shore Leave Jazz Quartet will be performing inside the Atrium along with Harpist Rickie Denton. Outside of 1 James Center, listen to The Whitlocks carol! The Nutcracker Suite cast will be walking around to greet children. Inside 1 James Center, Tuba Christmas will delight passersby with beautiful sounds. The Model Railroaders exhibit is a treat!

Archived