Richmond Events

burt

I was thinking about that. Is the BB&T deck open at night? Would I get a better vantage point on the Suntrust deck? I was actually planning on filming the grand illumination, so I want the best view in town! Any suggestions?

Coupe worked down in that area last summer. I'll bet a quarter he could suggest the perfect viewpoint. If you film it, will you be able to post it as a video?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget about the Ukrop's Christmas Parade (this year called the Capital City Holiday Festival) on Saturday Dec. 2 along Broad St. This event brings out more than 250,000 spectators every year, making it the largest single day event in Virginia. It is also televised around the state.

Parade starts at 10 am at 7th and Broad Streets and heads west.

Let's not forget about the Ukrop's Christmas Parade (this year called the Capital City Holiday Festival) on Saturday Dec. 2 along Broad St. This event brings out more than 250,000 spectators every year, making it the largest single day event in Virginia. It is also televised around the state.

Parade starts at 10 am at 7th and Broad Streets and heads west.

Coupe, the parade used to go in the opposite direction, heading east FROM DMV (the staging area) TO 7th and Broad. They need all the open space near DMV to blow up the balloons and assemble the marching bands and floats.

Well, it sure looks like the Grand Illumination last night and today's Ukrop's Christmas Parade were huge successes.

The late edition of today's RTD on line has a slide presentation of the parade - lots of pictures. The sun shone brightly and Broad Street was jammed with viewers.

:yahoo:

Charlottesville's new John Paul Jones Arena, also known as "The Jack", is attracting large crowds of 15,000-plus to name performers who have never even considered playing The Richmond Coliseum. The new venue will most likely impact business in Richmond for Ringling Bros B&B Circus and Disney Ice shows among other touring presentations.

Perhaps in the not distant future Richmond's aging hall will be replaced with a much larger venue. Snagging a new NBA franchise would help. :)

How many of you know that the Phillip Johnson designed building atop Church Hill at 22nd and Grace is now used for dances? :) Formerly, the towered structure housed radio station WRVA; next Saturday, December 16th, it will be the site of the Church Hill Ball.

The whole week-end will bustle with activity on the Hill:

Friday 12/15 -- Vespers at 7PM at St. John's Church on Broad between 24th and 25th. A Candlelight walk will follow at 7:30PM. The evening will conclude with caroling in Libby Hill Park at 29th and Franklin.

Saturday 12/16 -- The Church Hill Ball at The Overlook (new name of the old WRVA studio) on 22nd Street between Broad and Grace. Music is by The Soul Providers and cost is $45 in advance and $65 at the door and includes a three-drink ticket and hor d'oeuvres. Advance tickets at Poe's Pub on East Main Street below Libby Hill or Hampton House Interior Design at Grove and Libby. Starting time not provided

Sunday afternoon 12/17 -- Holiday House Tour. $15 in advance (at same outlets as above), or $20 day of tour (Seniors $15). Itinerary not provided in news release.

• 3 weeks later...

Richmond's first New York style New Year's Eve street festival, complete with rising (instead of falling) ball, attracted shoulder to shoulder crowds in the 2900 and 3000 blocks of West Cary Street last night. A slight drizzle apparently did not deter frivolity.

If any of you attended, a report would be appreciated.

BANK was bustling with a very good and large crowd last night. It was a tremendous place to bring in the New Year!

BURT and all, I attended the Carytown festivities last night. Early in the evening, before the bands began playing, the crowds were sparse; but as the rain held off, more people arrived until the street was completely filled from curb to curb. The opening band, OK Bird, started at around 9:15, followed by Duchess of York and Black Cash - great lineup! The T-D estimated that 3.000 attended. I'm already looking forward to the 2nd annual!

Creativeclass, welcome to the goings-on over here. I'm so glad you are visiting and hope we hear lots more from you in future postings.

Could you actually see the ball going UP atop NYDeli? Someone told me that Harry Kollatz was the em-cee for the event. Harry, a resident of Carytown, is an excellent and informed writer who knows Richmond well.

Thanks Burt. RCW is nearly a ghost town these days, so it's time to move on.

Are you saying the leprechaun-like creature who introduced the bands could have been Harry Kollatz?! If so, he was virtually unrecognizable!

Haha. Well, I wasn't there but a friend (who also wasn't there) told me this morning that Harry was supposed to em-cee.

I've never met Kollatz but have seen him in the lobby at Firehouse Theatre productions. He is (or was) very much involved with Firehouse. Though he has always worn a hat on my sightings, I certainly would not use the word leprechaun to describe him. :)

Haha. Well, I wasn't there but a friend (who also wasn't there) told me this morning that Harry was supposed to em-cee.

I've never met Kollatz but have seen him in the lobby at Firehouse Theatre productions. He is (or was) very much involved with Firehouse. Though he has always worn a hat on my sightings, I certainly would not use the word leprechaun to describe him. :)

The organizers now say 5,000 attended the New Year's festivities - a success by any measure - and a new Richmond tradition has been born!

The organizers now say 5,000 attended the New Year's festivities - a success by any measure - and a new Richmond tradition has been born!

The picture accompanying today's online TD story shows a packed mass of humanity in Carytown. I'll bet the organizers were more surprised than anyone at the huge turnout. :lol:

Maybe urbanvb will link the TD story.

This really could be the start of something really big. They're already talking about making changes next year to accommodate larger crowds! A very good idea and here's to hoping that it is even bigger next year with great entertainment! Great job Carrytown! :thumbsup:

I am so glad Richmond Finally has a New Years Celebration... But I was thinking a couple nights ago... Imagine having a New Years Downtown in Shockoe Bottom with Fireworks over the River and the skyline and somehow have fireworks come from Main Street Station.

We had one in Festival Park and I think they stopped in the 90s. I'd much rather have a regional celebration downtown along the canal and Browns Island to Tredegar which would include fireworks once again. Launching them from MSS would be nice in addition from the Manchester and/or Lee Bridges (kinda like Syndey's but we don't have an iconic bridge). Carytown's thing was a nice thought, but to me it represents something else than a regional Richmond tradition.

It would be nice to have it at places like those listed above. I think the turnout would be much better than Carytown, simply because there would be more places to view the show from. Plus, Id love a good shot of the skyline with fireworks over it, that one postcard is too out of date.

I made it out to Carytown as well though I didn't get out there until 11:30 or so. The entire Fan was full of walkers heading in the Carytown direction and when I arrived I was amazed at the mass of people. Only complaint was the lack of access to beer but I think they will have more tents lined up for next years event and hopefully a few more blocks to work with. I agree that downtown should have done this... the infrastructure there can handle crowds this size much better than the Fan and overall I think it would be an atmosphere more reminiscent of NYC with the tall buildings around but the guys in Carytown took the initiative and put together something noone else had so I have to give them credit for it. I took a snapshot of the crowd and one of the ball as it rose above NYD with my cell phone. Visit my site if you'd like to see them. So did anyone hear how the Gala at the Convention Center turned out?

Archived