The West End

gs3

Hello all,

I was reading this recent article in the News about renewing West End visibility and am looking at a Google Earth image of it, but realized I don't know the exact boundaries of the West End. Can anyone help me out? How far from the river does the West End extend?

Thanks.

Depends.

The West End is a Historic Neighborhood in Greenville and that is under a certain legal extension by the city. That starts basically at Camperdown and extends a little past down where Main Street ends. 

If you don't want to consider the legal area but also what many would consider to be included in the West End, you could also add areas down through Augusta Rd such as the planned redevelopment of the Scott Towers.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of West End business owners has been meeting weekly to promote better visibility.

SOURCE

As stated in the article posted. Who know anything about this part: The city has approved another 100-unit apartment complex project called Stadium Apartments at the corner of Rhett and Markley, as well as 107-unit complex 121 Rhett Street developed by Tom Croft at Greenville-based Croft Company. New residential properties in the district should boost foot traffic for West End businesses.

Especially the part about the city of Greenville approving the Stadium Apartments.

As stated in the article posted. Who know anything about this part: The city has approved another 100-unit apartment complex project called Stadium Apartments at the corner of Rhett and Markley, as well as 107-unit complex 121 Rhett Street developed by Tom Croft at Greenville-based Croft Company. New residential properties in the district should boost foot traffic for West End businesses.

Especially the part about the city of Greenville approving the Stadium Apartments.

Pretty much everybody on this forum to my knowledge has known about those projects. Neither one has started construction when they were supposed to which was a while back unfortunately. Who knows if they ever will.

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...

Recent article in Gville News cites to a draft outline for the West-side/end. Does anyone have a link to this?

See: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131204/DOWNTOWN/312040013/Plans-forming-help-Westside

I found it easily using Google, but just so that people here won't pounce on me for not being helpful, I will share my super-secret search terms: Greenville Westside Comprehensive Plan. Teach someone to fish search...

The square 1 acre parcel at Markley and Rhett has a "SOLD" sign on it now.  This is the parcel that the 5 story 'Stadium' residential project was proposed for.   It had been so quit, I think we all thought it was dead.  Perhaps the original buyer/plans are in place or maybe this is a different buyer altogether. 

This is NOT to be confused with the more rectangular lot that runs mostly along Markley instead of Rhett (next to the Audio/Visual place). 

The square 1 acre parcel at Markley and Rhett has a "SOLD" sign on it now.  This is the parcel that the 5 story 'Stadium' residential project was proposed for.   It had been so quit, I think we all thought it was dead.  Perhaps the original buyer/plans are in place or maybe this is a different buyer altogether. 

This is NOT to be confused with the more rectangular lot that runs mostly along Markley instead of Rhett (next to the Audio/Visual place).

[/quot

Zillow app indicates that the rectangular lot is "pending" ...for what that is worth.

Anyone know why an old building in the West End was at least partially demolished today? It is the structure with the children's theater billboard outside along Augusta Street.

That's the old Greenville Transit Authority building. They moved their offices from there to the main bus terminal downtown. I imagine they demolished it to make the site more suitable and easier for redevelopment purposes. 

I had noticed the 'condemned' sign for a while now.  I thought it was strange, as the building did not look in bad shape from the exterior. It appears this is outside of the official boundary of the West End historic district, but it's still part of the Central Business District, so I thought that it would require DRB approval for demolition?

• 2 weeks later...