The West End

gs3

Across Westfield Street from Kroc Center on the triangle piece of property that borders the Reedy River and Academy Street.

Interesting.  This seems like a huge boon for that area in terms of redevelopment.  Maybe they are getting in on the "ground floor" of development along the river on that side of Academy.  This should be a nice complement to the city's desire to ultimately put a park near there.

Interesting. This seems like a huge boon for that area in terms of redevelopment. Maybe they are getting in on the "ground floor" of development along the river on that side of Academy. This should be a nice complement to the city's desire to ultimately put a park near there.

Exactly what I was thinking. This will be a benefit to the huge park, and the park will be a benefit to this development. Hopefully it will be about 5+ stories or so, and built up to Academy Street. The flood line will keep it a good distance from the River. Academy Street could use a Church Street style makeover to make it a worthy gateway.

Edited by GvilleSC

Exactly what I was thinking. This will be a benefit to the huge park, and the park will be a benefit to this development. Hopefully it will be about 5+ stories or so, and built up to Academy Street. The flood line will keep it a good distance from the River. Academy Street could use a Church Street style makeover to make it a worthy gateway.

I agree.  Great idea to build it up to Academy Street and make it more urban in nature.

My only concern is that another large apartment complex could negatively affect any of the others previously proposed. I especially like the design and location of Croft's proposal, but also hope to see the Stadium apartments and South Ridge under construction soon as well. Demand for downtown residential space is extremely strong, but too many units too fast could cause problems.

My only concern is that another large apartment complex could negatively affect any of the others previously proposed. I especially like the design and location of Croft's proposal, but also hope to see the Stadium apartments and South Ridge under construction soon as well. Demand for downtown residential space is extremely strong, but too many units too fast could cause problems.

That is my concern as well. The Croft proposal is one of the better-designed ones and I question if it will happen.  It has already been quite a while.  The Stadium Apartments site just changed hands but I don't know if it is the same party that was doing the Stadium project or a different party. South Ridge will happen though.  The Beach Company is just to strong and they have too much invested at this point.   

I have been wondering forever what was gonna happen with that property. I was really hoping something cool with retail and entertainment was gonna happen tough. When you look at it on zillow it seems like it's split into three or four different lots.

I still want a 5 screen movie theater and bowling alley somewhere. Come on important Greenville people, I know you read this thing! : - ) Lotsa young people are moving into all these new living spaces DT and frankiefamilyfuntimepizzacircuschuckytrampoline AKA Woodruff Rd is not the answer.

I have been wondering forever what was gonna happen with that property. I was really hoping something cool with retail and entertainment was gonna happen tough. When you look at it on zillow it seems like it's split into three or four different lots.

I still want a 5 screen movie theater and bowling alley somewhere. Come on important Greenville people, I know you read this thing! : - ) Lotsa young people are moving into all these new living spaces DT and frankiefamilyfuntimepizzacircuschuckytrampoline AKA Woodruff Rd is not the answer.

All the lots have the same owner. It is just over 7 acres total.  I have no idea how much is in the Flood Plain though.  

From the Gville News, regarding the Markley Station project. I love that last paragraph. 

Two Greenville companies are headed to the West End, adding to the number of white-collar jobs downtown.

The Keller Williams Realty Greenville Upstate franchise and The Worthwhile Co.’s Greenville office are moving to a complex of four old buildings along Markley Street, principals with the companies said.

Dan Hamilton, operating principal for the Keller Williams residentialbrokerageicon1.png, and Dan Wooster, a founding partner in Worthwhile, a digital marketing firm, said they bought the complex for $1.3 million. They said Dan Salle, Hamilton’s partner in the Keller Williams franchise, is also one of the buyers.

The trio plans to redevelop the property, formerly used by the Smith Dray Line moving company, and name it Markley Station, Hamilton and Wooster said.

Hamilton said the 177-agent Keller Williams franchise will consolidate to the Markley Street location from its existing offices on Airport Road and Augusta Street. Wooster said Worthwhile’s Greenville office has about 20 employees and will move from Pelham Road.

The partners said they’re in talks with a restaurant about taking space in the complex as well.

Wooster said the only reason he got into the deal was because he wanted downtown office space for his firm.

“We have a very young team. They’re all what we call digital natives, and they all want to be down in that space and they all begged me, “Please, please, please put us down there,’ “ Wooster said. “They love that West End space.”

Breaking: Fluornoy Development will do 300 apartments on Westfield Street, West End side of Academy Street, near the river according to my sources. Stay tuned for more.

I got the site wrong. This development is planned actually across the Reedy River from this site where Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union and Black's Electrical Supply are currently located.

Edited by gman430

I got the site wrong. This development is planned actually across the Reedy River from this site where Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union and Black's Electrical Supply are currently located.

Is this where the other apartment building once was going to go? Is it going to be multi-storey? I can't see how a multi-building project can fit in there. If the one building approach is going to happen that is going to be an awsome deal. And in an awsome location. 

Edited by MAJIKMAN

Is this where the other apartment building once was going to go? Is it going to be multi-storey? I can't see how a multi-building project can fit in there. If the one building approach is going to happen that is going to be an awsome deal. And in an awsome location.

Nah, this site is a different one. It's directly across the Reedy River from the Camperdown Condos site which is the one you're thinking of. Don't know the number of buildings or stories at this time.

Edited by gman430

Greenville News story on this tomorrow.

Oh ok. The locale of the Credit Union. That's cool. Behind or beside Blacks Electric. It would be good to see Blacks gone too. Or is Blacks moving?

It's going on the entire site to my knowledge.

Edited by gman430