The West End

gs3

Well, maybe honoring the wishes of the deceased owner is more important? Just sayin'. Chances are the house is not structurally sound and the house would basically have to be rebuilt so what would be the point? Not to mention cost would be very high.

Just because something is old,does not mean it is not sound. If the roof is good or at least not terrible, and it doesn't have termites, then odds are it could be put in good shape for $50k or less. $100k would almost certainly do it. If a trust has been in control of it for several years, they should have kept it in shape.

I've seen houses that look 1000 times worse made into showplaces for far less than comparable new construction would have cost.

I was disappointed to read this article.  It would be a shame to tear this house down.  If it is in bad condition, it is because the owner has neglected any maintenance for years.  I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in redeveloping this house for use as a business, bed & breakfast, etc.  At the very least, it would be nice if it could be moved rather than demolished.  I guess this is outside of the DRB/ CBD review area, so they wouldn't need permission to tear it down.

• 2 weeks later...

The owners of Grape and Grains on Mauldin Road have plans to spread out their retail shop, winery and brewery across three vacant warehouses on Markley Street.

The three warehouses that was going to be the OBEE headquarters? Seems like an expensive location for this, unless they introduce event type space of some sort I would think. Small bar/tapas could be a good idea too.

The owners of Grape and Grains on Mauldin Road have plans to spread out their retail shop, winery and brewery across three vacant warehouses on Markley Street.

I love the idea of this! If they get built, having the Stadium Apartments right there will help create some liveliness on Markley. Now, if we can just get the towing property redeveloped between Main and Rhett...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great idea. It has great character, similar to 701 Whaley in Columbia. Love repurposed buildings.

I agree. Something dynamic needs to be built on this same block to compliment this beautiful old building. Maybe the apartments along Rhett Street will help spur something.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a shame that patio won't be activated by restaurant or retail, but hopefully OOBE will put it to good use. The Terrace seems to finally be turning a corner with Sempra, OOBE, Moore School of Business, and the Jazz club(?). How are the residential units doing?

I wonder if we could see artist studios being incorporated in the next phase of Riverplace (more akin to the River House) and see them move the studios out of the Terrace. I've always felt like those studios have a feel of being a temporary place-holder-- which I guess they are and it is fine for the short term, but I think it may hurt their foot traffic as their exposure is poor.

• 2 weeks later...