The West End

gs3

Does anyone know if the city has plans to build a parking garage in the West End?
They plan to eventually expand the RiverPlace garage, but no additional garages are currently planned for the West End. I expect at least one significant parking structure will be included in any proposal for redevelopment of County Square.

Id like to see one built in a apartment/condo like setting (like bookends) where the Greenlink bus station is.

They should build one near the baseball stadium. Either beside it between Main and Augusta or on the other side of the stadium at Markley and Main. Whatever they build should be wrapped in retail and residential of course.

The vacant lot at Rhett and Oneal could be a good choice as well. That would be nearer to the center of the Westend.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything myself sadly except for that part of the site is currently being used as a staging area by Triangle Construction for tenant upfit of Rick's Deli & Market at RiverWalk. Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about Croft's project getting built at all. Hope I am wrong though.

Edited by gman430

I haven't heard anything myself sadly except for that part of the site is currently being used as a staging area by Triangle Construction for tenant upfit of Rick's Deli & Market at RiverWalk. Honestly, I don't have a good feeling about Croft's project getting built at all. Hope I am wrong though.

I've got my fingers crossed. I MUCH prefer the material use in this project over some of the other apartment projects proposed for Rhett Street. I support their infusion of people into the West End, but I think the character of this building jives much more with this district than the others.  

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ausrutherford" data-cid="1249029" data-time="1356108493"><p>

That's right, there's is 3 of them. I think it was the stadium apartments that got financing to go into construction</p></blockquote>

Rhett at Wardlaw is the one that got financing not Stadium Apartments. However, they might have financing also and we just don't know it.

• 3 weeks later...

The building at 632 South Main Street in the West End: with the scaffolding down, you can see how nice this investment looks. Here's a link to the DRB application: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/AUGUST/DesignReviewBoard/08-02-2012/CA-12-148-632SouthMainStreet.pdf

Greenville Daily Photo features this building today for those of you who haven't seen it:

DSC09582.jpg

I hope it will be dressed up a bit more when it's completed, but I really like how it raises the building's profile. 

Markley Terrace officially dead.  I remember that The Next Innovation Center was looking for a building to renovate for an IT centered expansion.  This might fit that bill.

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/46449-markley-terrace-development-falls-through?rss=0

In a related matter, the Markley Place townhouse condo site (across from Stadium Apartments site) is on the market for 1,150,000.

Markley Terrace officially dead.  I remember that The Next Innovation Center was looking for a building to renovate for an IT centered expansion.  This might fit that bill.

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/46449-markley-terrace-development-falls-through?rss=0

In a related matter, the Markley Place townhouse condo site (across from Stadium Apartments site) is on the market for 1,150,000.

Anyone have any idea how much this space was originally for sale for?

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenville News has an article about the old house on Augusta Street in the West End. Apparently the owner left a trust that indicates that the Children's Theater could have the property IF they agreed to tear down the home, which was built in 1888. 

I really wish the home could be saved, restored, and integrated into any redevelopment. There's no plans to move forward with this as of right now, but a permanent performance home for the group could be on the way... 

I don't understand why anyone would want that beautiful home destroyed. 

The article says that if the Children's Theater declined the property, that the city could accept it for use as a park.  I wonder if the Children's Theater could decline it, the city take ownership, and then the city provide the Children's Theater with something comparable eslewhere.  That way the grounds could remain as they are, and the house could be used for recreation purposes (classes, parks offices, etc.). 

I wonder if the city would be required to demolish it also?  The article doesn't specify.    

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130203/NEWS/302030026/Property-may-help-S-C-Children-s-Theatre-pursue-its-dreams