The West End

gs3

Preliminary personal response to this proposal is favorable for myself. I like the modern lines, but sticking with the traditional warehouse district materials-- something akin to Poinsett Corners' design. Plus, the massing is really nice. I prefer this over the tower-like proposal that had previously been proposed as condos. 5 stories at that site is still going to tower over the West End's low slung historic storefronts, and will probably match the height of Riverwalk's 6 story portion. The facade also has a seemingly nice rhythm to it.

I like it. :) Glad to see retail space slated for the ground floor. Hopefully it gets built this time. With it being 54 feet in height, it should still stick out pretty well on that site due to the hill it's on. Just to give some reference, the Custom House is 50 feet in height.

Edited by citylife

With the Riverwalk complete, there are 117 residential units in that small two block stretch of Camperdown that goes from Main to River Street. I assume this new proposal could be near/over the three digit mark for the number of units, having the opportunity to double the number of units that flank Camperdown Way. Interesting to think about...

Didn't even notice that this building is slated to have a parking garage within it until now. Awesome to see. Looks like it will be very much like Poinsett Corners if built.

I like that the parking has an entry on Boggs Street. Maybe that little alley-way will be spruced up a little bit. It's nice to see it possibly getting some use...

I just noticed that one or both of the Hughes brothers bought the two parcels immediately West of Croft's project. Specifically, the parcels between Croft's property and River Street fronting on both Rhett and Boggs.

The closing was last October for $650k. Could another Hughes project be starting soon ? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

Notice the west side of Croft's project has a blank/shared wall in the rendering on the PDF file. **hint hint**

I did notice that it had a blank wall like Riverwalk has across the street facing Academy. Hopefully these filler projects get finished sooner rather than later. I love being able to see the density coming into town from Easley on 123.

Gville News has article on the new apartment project from Croft. 100 units at 'market rate' rents. Construction to start this summer. 13-15 mm price tag and 1 year to build.

Edit: Croft also mentioned that his marketing study showed potential for 300 more rental units Downtown. Assuming that didn't include his project or the Riverwalk/100 East projects, that leaves about 100 units left to be built/proposed. Of course if Hughes builds apartments next door, that would probably fill that gap.

Edited by vicupstate

Gville News has article on the new apartment project from Croft. 100 units at 'market rate' rents. Construction to start this summer. 13-15 mm price tag and 1 year to build.

Edit: Croft also mentioned that his marketing study showed potential for 300 more rental units Downtown. Assuming that didn't include his project or the Riverwalk/100 East projects, that leaves about 100 units left to be built/proposed. Of course if Hughes builds apartments next door, that would probably fill that gap.

Huh? If he didnt include his project, 100 east, or riverwalk... wouldnt that leave an additional 300 units to be proposed?

Huh? If he didnt include his project, 100 east, or riverwalk... wouldnt that leave an additional 300 units to be proposed?

I was confused by that intitially, too. But, I believe what he is saying is that if the analysis was done without factoring in those projects, then the market could use 300 units. Therefore, you must subtract them from that total as they're completed. I guess it's all a matter of when the report was done-- which we don't know at this time.

When I read the article, my thinking was that his project would add 100 units of the 300 and leave an additional 200 units to be built by some other developers. It's really anyone's best guess...

Edited by GvilleSC

Zen's Main Street facade has been painted the same shade of gray as its side. It looks REALLY good. Plus, having Mac's painted red, the Triathlon store remaining the yellow brick/black paint, and the Zen space being painted gray, it gives this long, single-story facade an established rhythm and a much more scaled down appearance to its width.

I think the Triathlon space would look really good with a white facade and a legit sign mounted on the building.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recently ran across the City of Greenville's West End plan, PRE-baseball stadium, 2004. It set up redevelopment possibilities based on what COULD happen with a ballpark, and what could happen without. Needless to say, it was quite interesting to see 8 years later.

A couple things that I really liked about the plan (that have not come to fruition yet) were the idea of extending Wardlaw Street across Main (or was it still called Pendleton Street in 2004?) to Augusta, and realigning University Ridge to connect with Augusta Street at Field Street. Both ideas still seem to be within the realm of possibility, I'd think.

But, what it got me thinking about was the triangle of land between Main/Augusta/railroad tracks. I know that at one time, someone was trying to piece those parcels together for an inclusive redevelopment of that block. Has anyone heard anything more on this land in the past 3 or 4 years, or know of what the status might be? Really, I was thinking that now that the City has gotten the Woolworth block resolved and currently under development, that this site might could use the same attention to finding owners and purchasing their land.

The Tinsley Real Estate building and the building next to it are for sale as one parcel for $2mm. If you take that parcel and combine it with the Greenlink property (which includes the vacant beige building) which the city is already planning to acquire, you could easily do a major mixed use project.

Extending University Ridge to Field St. is a good idea, and may be necessary for County Square's full redevelopment, but I don't see a need to extend Wardlaw. That would only take up space that could be used differently.

The city is voting tonight on a plan to enter into a lease with River Street Properties LLC for a parcel at River & Rhett in order to provide public parking. This is the vacant lot BEHIND the 'Green Monster' site, which is .857 acres. I would assume the city or the leasor will pave the site.

There is an termination clause that the leasor can use if a >$1mm building permit is issued for the site.

Edited by vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/44236-oobe-to-move-hq-to-west-end-mixed-use-project?rss=0

Great news for Markley St. area and the West End.

I hadn't heard of any plans for Markley Street streetscaping, although this sounds somewhat less intense than the existing Main Street streetscaping.

Anyone heard of other uses involved?

• Like 1