The West End

gs3

I agree that Chipotle and Moe's are affordable, but how much do you typically pay to eat there? "Name a restaurant..." Handi has a hot lunch buffet that you can start eating immediately.

Around $9-$10 with a drink and chips/salsa. Handi sounds good. :thumbsup:

Just another reason why we need more Chick-Fil-A's in this area: http://www.wyff4.com...il.html#comment

Edited by citylife

I don't think the so-called "downtown premium" has much if anything anything to do with greedy price gouging and excess profits. It does, however, have a lot to do with the high rents that businesses have to pay. Yet even that is based on the fundamental principles of supply and demand. I've watched with dismay as several of my favorite low-cost lunchtime eateries have been forced out of business by rent increases that made their existence unsustainable. (Anybody remember Sprouts?) One would do well to study the underlying economic realities and avoid leaping to conclusions about snobbery and class divisions.

That said, downtown Greenville has been thriving over other cities in recent years due to its reputation as a destination; people who have the money to spend are quite happy to spend it here. Downtown is the crown jewel of Greenville, not Cherrydale, not Haywood and not even Greenridge. To some people it may seem that Greenville is a victim of its own success, but it works, it works well, and it keeps the local economy moving even beyond the downtown district. Businesses invest here when they perceive that they can make money. That's the nature of business.

• 4 weeks later...

Tyson Smoak and David Feild, CCIM of NAI Earle Furman represented West End Dental PA in leasing a 3,240 SF office space located at 655 South Main Street in downtown Greenville.

David Feild, CCIM and Tyson Smoak of NAI Earle Furman represented the landlord of The Old Cotton Warehouse in leasing an 8,500 SF office space located at 511 Rhett Street in downtown Greenville. The space was leased to M33 Inegrated Solutions, represented by Hunter Garrett, CCIM, SIOR and John Staunton, also of NAI Earle Furman.

In the City's most recent Capital Improvement Plan, the City has an initiative that is "West End Property Acquisition". The end goal being to aquire adjoining properties and prepare them for resale, spurring private investment on both Augusta and Main Streets. Sounds like the triangle block between Main/Augusta/Fluor Field to me...

In the City's most recent Capital Improvement Plan, the City has an initiative that is "West End Property Acquisition". The end goal being to aquire adjoining properties and prepare them for resale, spurring private investment on both Augusta and Main Streets. Sounds like the triangle block between Main/Augusta/Fluor Field to me...

Specifically, the city is buying the Greenlink property for future resale.

^^ Can you post a link?

This sounds like it could be purchasing the Greenlink property or property along the new "Cleveland Park West'. I know the city has acquire a parcel at the park already.

There's actually a seperate section in the document for Parks and Greenways. It mentions having purchased property for the new park, and gives a rather lengthy timetable for further aquisition and development of the park.

CIP for fiscal years 2013-2017: http://issuu.com/citygreenvillesc/docs/fy2013-2017cip?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23007b57

Has anyone seen what has been done to the exterior of Mac's Speed Shop? They've painted it a deep shade of red. That whole end of the building looks so dark now. Whatever is intended for their awnings might turn things around, but I'm still unimpressed by this establishment thus far.

I've already stated that I liked the new paint color for the old Rio Grill space. But when I saw today's Greenville Daily Photo, my jaw dropped! The awnings and accents really makes this place POP! Solid work, Breakwater! Welcome to the West End!

Here's the picture: http://www.greenvilledailyphoto.com/index.php/2012/03/21/breakwater-restaurant/

There's a building on Markley, between Rhett and Academy Streets that says "Fusion on Markley" or "Fusion at Markley"-- something to that effect. It seemed to be recently redone..? I'm not sure. I don't typically venture down Markley, but I've never noticed it before. Based on the name and the fact that this is an old warehouse, my first thought was that this might be something along the lines of NEXT.

Actually, this appears to be the occupant of this building: http://www.fusionsystemsllc.com/#home It's really nice to see a home-grown business thriving and investing in our urban core! So, now that we know the occupant, does anyone know how long they've called this location home?

Edited by GvilleSC

There's a building on Markley, between Rhett and Academy Streets that says "Fusion on Markley" or "Fusion at Markley"-- something to that effect. It seemed to be recently redone..? I'm not sure. I don't typically venture down Markley, but I've never noticed it before. Based on the name and the fact that this is an old warehouse, my first thought was that this might be something along the lines of NEXT.

Actually, this appears to be the occupant of this building: http://www.fusionsystemsllc.com/#home It's really nice to see a home-grown business thriving and investing in our urban core! So, now that we know the occupant, does anyone know how long they've called this location home?

I remember reading about this in the Journal a year or two ago. The property changed hands in Dec. 2009, so that fits.

Still more space being absorbed in the CBD/West End. This time in Riverplace.

Leasing has really been strong lately.

http://www.gsabusine...velopment?rss=0

Edit; This will leave a vacancy at 14 S. Main I suppose, but perhaps that space will convert to restaurant/retail instead of remaining as office space.

Edited by vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Croft has new plans for his Rhett Street site. Looks to be a 5 story apartment project! It's a preliminary proposal at this time. Currently being called Greenville Lofts?

I wonder how many units they're looking at? This area right at Riverplace might become downtown's most dense residential cluster with the new Riverwalk directly across the street...

http://www.greenvill...RhettStreet.pdf

Edited by GvilleSC